CA def?

frosown

I seem to have a CA def.. is it an excess, or not enough? I fed with a tbsp/2 gal of CalMag in FFOF, month old plants, and they are both doing the same thing. But the feeding was over a week ago.
20150225_090424.jpg
20150225_090347.jpg
20150225_090333.jpg

Let me know what you think.

can anyone tell me what this is? PLEASE HELP

LED 900W, 2 plants.
82F
45% RH
FFOF
Just fed cal/mag 10 days ago.

Plants are about month-month and a half old. Both are showing these signs. Help? Looks like Ca def?
Is it an excess amount of Ca or does it NEED Ca?
Both seemed to slow down in growth quite a bit..

I did a ph/ec test last friday. Runnin a 6.1 with a ec of 4.. Which is a bit high, but there wasnt any burn. I will flush both tonight.

Re: can anyone tell me what this is? PLEASE HELP

PH is fine, EC is high, burn can take a while but the crunchy brown tips are the first sign.

Give your plants a good flush, then wait a week before feeding them, those burnt tips won't go away, so once your nutes are under control you may consider trimming them off.

Yes I have been looking at them for the better part of 18 years, and there is a lot of similar looking things on the chart but he does not have a deficiency he has nute burn, his PH is good, his soil is hot, his EC is high and he has burned tips.

And an over abundance of nutrients can cause the PH to drift low, if he ph's to correct the issue at hand things will be much worse in the long run, flush the soil with PH'd water wait a week then check again.

nute_burn5.jpg

cannabis-nutrient-burn.jpg

^^^^NUTE BURN^^^^

Yes I have been looking at them for the better part of 18 years, and there is a lot of similar looking things on the chart but he does not have a deficiency he has nute burn, his PH is good, his soil is hot, his EC is high and he has burned tips.

And an over abundance of nutrients can cause the PH to drift low, if he ph's to correct the issue at hand things will be much worse in the long run, flush the soil with PH'd water wait a week then check again.

^^^^NUTE BURN^^^^

Thanks so much for your input brother! I flushed both my girls with water running at 6.4ph. Hopefully by friday they resume growth!!

I will stand by and quietly and respectfully disagree. I see a Ca issue... most likely caused by PH. Seems like a good plan would be to correct the PH issue anyway.... what can it hurt?

I respect you for doing that, but I will also point out the low PH is also a symptom of his problem, meaning an over abundance of nutes can cause the ph to drift, continuing to correct the PH only without flushing stands to only make more nutes available = more burn. If he doesn't flush till the runoff is clear the problem will persist.

Even if I am wrong flushing with PH'd water will help establish a balanced PH, lets not forget that chart is a good baseline, I have heard of people growing in a living Bokashi (fermented composted organic material) with a PH of 4... no kidding... How? I am not sure, all I know is that living soil has a mind of it's own and changes the game.

To me that availability chart is good for soilless mediums with chemical ferts, I do not believe FFOF is soilless and I have also heard more than one claim of burnt plants from it being to hot.

So add that with the burnt tips, low ph, and high EC, the math points to nute burn, not me, the math.

I hear ya... adjusting the ph will solve issues either way.
I'm still voting Ca tho. I notice his shots were from the mid point of the plant.... another pointer for Ca's favor. I saw one or two upper leaves that did not show the damage. Plus, just because some of the spotting was on the tips, the leaves were not curled or clawed. When I first looked at the spots, they screamed Ca to me.
Everyone has a different set of experiences and opinions. Mine are no more valid than anyone else's. I like that about this place. I learn from all exchanges no matter the flavor.

I hear ya... adjusting the ph will solve issues either way.
I'm still voting Ca tho. I notice his shots were from the mid point of the plant.... another pointer for Ca's favor. I saw one or two upper leaves that did not show the damage. Plus, just because some of the spotting was on the tips, the leaves were not curled or clawed. When I first looked at the spots, they screamed Ca to me.
Everyone has a different set of experiences and opinions. Mine are no more valid than anyone else's. I like that about this place. I learn from all exchanges no matter the flavor.

Thank you all for your input, but growth has resumed, and 0 sign of any def or toxicity, new growth has begun forming with 0 discrepancies. Thank you all again! And sorry for double posting.

Have you noticed in the nutrient availability charts that Ca is way out of range at 6.1?
https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/pH_chart712.jpg

IMO his PH is not WAY out of range, maybe a tenth low, 6.2 is fine he is at 6.1.

I am not sure how you can tell that the picture is taken mid way up the plant I can't even see the whole plant, what I can see is nute burn on every little tip in the pictures, even in the back ground little brown tips on the serrations.

Ca def looks a lot different. and besides FFOF should have enough Ca for the length of time he has been growing and he has supplemented with it as well so I have a hard time believing this would be CA def in the face of the overwhelming evidence of nute burn.

Back
Top Bottom