Calyx Hunter's - Outdoor - Diamond Girl Clone - In the Ground

Calyx Hunter

Welcome to another adventure in growing Cannabis with Calyx Hunter

If anyone ever has any suggestions please feel free to voice them here always. I'm doing this with the only intention of having fun. I'm putting no pressure on myself with this one at all.

I've been inspired by other growers on :420:

A clone put into the ground is a beautiful thing.

I took a Diamond Girl clone from a plant I grew from seed in my Multi Strain grow. This was one of the healthiest clones I decided to keep. I will be surprised if I can harvest anything off of this. This is kind of a lets just see what happens type of grow.

Diamond Girl --- Green House Seeds
Previously known as Silver Pearl, this is a classic from the Green House Coffeeshop menu, now available in seed form. It flowers in 8 weeks, and can produce indoors up to 750 grams per square meter (under 1000 Watt of light per square meter). Outdoors it is ready by the end of September, with a production up to 900 grams per plant (with very large plants).
It's a fast-hitting indica, with a relaxing effect and a sweet, flowery taste. The effect is mild, but very long-lasting. It is a good plant for beginners.

Effect: A fast-hitting indica, with a very relaxing attitude. Mild, long-lasting.
Flowering indoor: 8 weeks, with production up to 750 gr/m2. Ideal for SoG, SCRoG or LST.
Flowering outdoor: Ready by the end of September (North hemisphere) with a production up to 900 gr/plant. Medium-size, branchy plant.

THC: 14.99% / CBD: 0.17% / CBG: 0.38%

Flowering Time Indoor: 47 - 57 days (~52 days)

Diamond Girl A.K.A Silver Pearl---> Early Pearl x Skunk #1 x Northern Lights

Soil - Organics Vigoro Garden Soil, it was cheap, organic and for in ground vegetables, flowers and herbs. Purchased for about $6 at Home Depot.

Amendment - Water Polymer Crystals, to help get through the intense dry summer heat. I soaked enough to fill a 12 oz glass and hand mixed it into the soil in the hole.

Placement - 1.5' away from the south edge of my lawn. This area was chosen due to a 2 story neighbors view of my backyard and this will be behind a fence from their angle. Hopefully it doesn't get more than 4' tall. Also the lawn sprinklers douse this area very well and I should rarely need to hand water.

Ground Condition - I pulled back mulch and a layer of weed barrier. I dug down about 2 feet. The ground soil is composed of mostly clay. It is nasty. About a foot down I hit a layer of black material. It seems like ground up asphalt that contractors may have filled in the yard with. It is also nasty. We'll see how Cannabis roots mind growing into clay and crap. I cut a square out of the weed barrier for the plant and then rolled it back over the surface and finished covering with the mulch.

I have protected the plant with some Chicken wire fencing. The birds around my hood are nutty. I had some other clones in the ground and I think it was birds that ripped some of them out of the ground and demolished a few others.

This will be a relatively effortless grow and whatever the outcome is I will enjoy every step of this new adventure. I hope you will too.

Day_1a1.JPG

Day_1b1.JPG

Day_1c1.JPG

Day_1d.JPG

Here is a shot after about a day and a half. The small set of top leaves had already fattened up!
Day_1e.JPG

:Rasta:

In for the ride :bong:

Im in!!! There is nothing better than getting the ladies into soil and sitting back! I have a few clones that are getting ready to be planted. I haven't decided if im going to put them into the hydro or dirt yet. I guess it depends how long it takes my main ladies to flower. If its short, ill get them into the hydro. If not, I have plenty of space outside for them to join their siblings......

Calyx, do you add anything to the soil you put them into or did you just dig a hole and plant it? Also, should we be watering and feeding them nutes, or let mother nature do what she does best?

I only added water polymer crystals to help keep things moist. My summer weather is crazy hot and dry. I don't have much experience ground growing. This will be a new learning expereince for me. Remember in nature there is no nutrient supplementation and having old leaves turn yellow to brown and then fall off is completely natural. I would think that if there are problems during veg to adjust nutrient dosing as needed. Otherwise I'm thinking just letting the worms do their thing. I've been pulling weeds lately and have discovered my yard is full of huge nightcrawler size worms. I've put a few in my garden barrels.

Thanks for chiming in Cannabis1! Let's learn this shit together!

Ok. This is my first dirt grow also I did have a few leaves turn yellow, so they went to the compost heap...... I also have tons of big night crawlers around my property. Ill make a point of saving them and then introduce them to the garden.......

I dont want to create any noticeable trails in my woods, so I dont think I will be getting to them to to often. Maybe twice a week. Im going to have to make some trails that go the long way around........ Now all I have to do is get more ladies out there!!!!!

Without a doubt Calyx, this is a learning experience. Learn from each others mistakes and successes. Soon we will be on the cover of 420 Magazine...LOL

Remember in nature there is no nutrient supplementation and having old leaves turn yellow to brown and then fall off is completely natural. I would think that if there are problems during veg to adjust nutrient dosing as needed.

Wonder why you'd say a thing like that :) But I feel my duty is to give you another perspective. No... I mean yes ;) There is constant supplementation of nitrogen in nature due to RAIN! I hope it rains in Cali :) Then by putting a plant straight in the ground you give her great flexibility to look for nutrients independently, which is an advantage of growing in fertile soil. Ever looked at those cannabis monsters from NorCal and wondered how they grew so big? Earth has the power, and that can be pushed very far with the right mix. I'd add some natural sources of calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, and potassium.

Happy growing guys!

That is a good perspective but with respect I disagree. Why do you think large scale farmers rotate crop fields? Plants use up the available nutrients in the soil. Sure there may be Nitrogen in rain but that would vary greatly by geographical region. How many large scale farmers do you think rely on the rain and the N in it to feed their plants? Rainwater can't be relied on alone as it could be weeks or months between rainfall.

If you've noticed the ground soil in my backyard is clay. I've used an organic garden soil purchased form the store to fill the hole. Obviously I'm not growing in fertile soil. I'm pretty sure there will come a time when the plant uses all available nutriets that I have given it with the organic garden soil. How well do you think a plant would grow in clay? Will the plant have the flexibility to search for the nutrients independently?

Ok, if all you have is clay that's f....d up, man. Then, obviously you need to break it with cutting agent like sand, conpost or perlite. The thing I meant was that if you keep adding organic matter every year then you're gonna have stable level of nitrogen and potassium. Phosphorus is different story as it's a hard molecule available mostly from mineral sources. Then, one time outdoor fling is different from year by year growing, when you build your medium and control its nutrients level. Still, rain helps to keep it green, although I heard in some parts of US it's illegal to use it :) Beating the bushes aside, understanding of your conditions is crucial in outdoor growing, and I'm sure I cannot dig how it is to grow in Cali, so I'll keep eating my popcorn while you get to the bottom of things literally. I'll stay in your corner anyway :bong:

Yeah my existing ground soil in my yard is pretty nasty. Did you also see the nasty black layer? I looked at the plant this morning and it looks like it has stretched at least an inch in height. Hopefully the roots have gone down just as far. I assume since there is noticeable growth and still very green foliage it must be doing ok so far.

Thanks for your opinion Conradino. I kind of wish I had invested the time and $ into a bigger hole with better soil. We'll see how she grows and if needed I'll feed her :morenutes:

I kind of secretly hope she turns into a beast even though that could mean neighbor problems.

It's actually quite common, one of these survivor traits :yummy:
Weed can shoot up 3" per 24 hours while put in a situation when it has to look for light :)

This is for example a pure indica, and it stretched a lot just to compete with surrounding flora
confidential1.jpg

But then they hit their max height and just veg there waiting for short days to come :bong:

I did not put wire in the hole and dammit why'd you have to suggest that now!? It's such a good idea and it's too late. Well if I have an issue with ground critters I will learn from it and upgrade next time. We have Prairie Dogs in the field behind my yard but havent seen any gopher holes in my property. Maybe I'll just sit on my patio with a shotgun and some good 'ol pipe weed and blow rodents heads off.

Subscribed!!
I threw a plant in the ground a couple of weeks ago and the soil was very similar minus that black stuff. Very clayish. I got a shovel and turned up the clay about a foot and half down in a 3ftx3ft area. I got some cheap ass sheep and peat to mix it up with so it wasnt so thick. I added a 1/2 oz of age old grow into a gallon of water and it burned my plant a little so I am just laying off the nutes for a while.
I look forward to following your grow and learning. Looks like fun so far! Good Luck!!
P.S. DO the wood chips have any other affect on your plant other than moisture retention???

The wood chips or mulch have been in my yard probably for 10 years are fairly inert as weeds grow through them like crazy. I think they essentially help keep the top soil shaded and cool for better water retention like you said.

I just bought my home last August so this is my first grow season here. I'm lovin it.

Mulch works :lot-o-toke:

Back
Top Bottom