Calyx Hunter's - Soil - Multi Strain - 4X4 Tent - 600W HPS

That sucks dude. You should not be Breaking Back!

I was going to wait to unveil my future plans as I want to complete the setup and have it working first but I will tell you now since I think you could use something similar. I have designed (i Just need to purchase the parts and build) a hydro for soil type top feed 6 site system. I will have a 10-20 gallon reservoir with a submersible pump. The pump output will go to a 6 port manifold. I will install a flow valve after the manifold on each of the 6 runs to essentially be able to water which plant I want. The lines will run to each plant then a top feed ring will encircle the base of the plant. I will be able to open the valves to the plants I want to water then flip a switch and it's all automatic. This coupled with my drain table will save me a ton of back ache.

I need $$$

Yea I hear that. If I had 1k to dump right now. I'd switch to rdwc with a chiller, and forget about it all.

I'm interested what your talking about, because 1k won't be coming my way for quite some time lol

My watering plan for next round is just getting some garden hose, attaching a stick to it and sticking it in each pot and feed remotely with a funnel lol just make one going to each pot lol ghetto but I think it will work till I can afford something better.

I've been into fishkeeping for a long ass time, so pumps and tubing is no shortage,

So I've been trying the same defoliation as you. Removing lower growth and only leaves that have to go. Damaged mostly.
I see the difference. The ones I didn't follow your method have one big bud probably 10inch long and 3 or 4 buds 4 inch and the rest is popcorn.
Now the plants I've been following your regiment with. Has 3 or 4 main colas, 6 inch tall each, a few 3-4 inch buds and maybe 10 smaller buds, not much popcorn (under 1 inch buds). Shorter plant. If you were to look at the 2 side by side, you would guess the untouched one has more on it. But I'm willing to put money on the other being more, buds are rounder. 6 inch tall but probably 2 inch wide, buds reacted better to back building as well. Got fatter quicker.

My conclusion is less is more. And I'm glad I decided to try your method. You got me one day when I commented on another journal, saying what a good job they did defoliating. And you asked "how do you know". Yes how the fuck DO I know? I didn't I was just going by what I did. No I'm proven 100% wrong. Well not wrong just shown there's more then one way to skin a cat.

We will find out in 2 weeks weight, not really concerned about weight. If its all prime buds I done care if I sacrifice 90% of the popcorn. I usually chuck pop corn in the frezer with trim for hash. I usually only keep top 2/3 of the plant for smoke.

Cheers buddy.

Looking Good. Subbed

:welcome:Growing Dank. Your name is what we all strive to do.

Yea I hear that. If I had 1k to dump right now. I'd switch to rdwc with a chiller, and forget about it all.

I'm interested what your talking about, because 1k won't be coming my way for quite some time lol

My watering plan for next round is just getting some garden hose, attaching a stick to it and sticking it in each pot and feed remotely with a funnel lol just make one going to each pot lol ghetto but I think it will work till I can afford something better.

I've been into fishkeeping for a long ass time, so pumps and tubing is no shortage,

Yeah man a watering wand and some funnels could help that back.

Saw the funky leaf man, looks like P deficiency. I've been told if you're using bloom boosters to make sure you have ample phosphorous.

Awesome suggestion, thanks! I'll be looking into this. +rep my Man!

I know that if you have a digital ballast you can turn down to 300 watt or lower and use a HPS for veg.

My Solis Tek Digital Ballast dims down to 400 and can use either HPS or MH. I've left it at 600 the entire time.

So I've been trying the same defoliation as you. Removing lower growth and only leaves that have to go. Damaged mostly.
I see the difference. The ones I didn't follow your method have one big bud probably 10inch long and 3 or 4 buds 4 inch and the rest is popcorn.
Now the plants I've been following your regiment with. Has 3 or 4 main colas, 6 inch tall each, a few 3-4 inch buds and maybe 10 smaller buds, not much popcorn (under 1 inch buds). Shorter plant. If you were to look at the 2 side by side, you would guess the untouched one has more on it. But I'm willing to put money on the other being more, buds are rounder. 6 inch tall but probably 2 inch wide, buds reacted better to back building as well. Got fatter quicker.

My conclusion is less is more. And I'm glad I decided to try your method. You got me one day when I commented on another journal, saying what a good job they did defoliating. And you asked "how do you know". Yes how the fuck DO I know? I didn't I was just going by what I did. No I'm proven 100% wrong. Well not wrong just shown there's more then one way to skin a cat.

We will find out in 2 weeks weight, not really concerned about weight. If its all prime buds I done care if I sacrifice 90% of the popcorn. I usually chuck pop corn in the frezer with trim for hash. I usually only keep top 2/3 of the plant for smoke.

Cheers buddy.

That is really awesome you took the time to do a side by side. I believe you will find that though you produce the same or similar weight total the one with selective defol will have more higher quality nugs. I'm all about the quality. I shouldv'e documented better but I have continued to slowly remove my lower growth. I have nothing but fatty colas. I'm jumping over to your grow right now Stumped

That is really awesome you took the time to do a side by side. I believe you will find that though you produce the same or similar weight total the one with selective defol will have more higher quality nugs. I'm all about the quality. I shouldv'e documented better but I have continued to slowly remove my lower growth. I have nothing but fatty colas. I'm jumping over to your grow right now Stumped

Before harvest I'll take a pic side by side to document. Hard to tell in group shot where one plant starts and another one ends lol
I'll post it here if ya don't mind in about 2 weeks.

Before harvest I'll take a pic side by side to document. Hard to tell in group shot where one plant starts and another one ends lol
I'll post it here if ya don't mind in about 2 weeks.

Yeah man feel free to post your gorgeous plants here. I'm looking forward to seeing those two.

The Hindu Kush has been nicknamed "The Beast from the Middle East."

It will easily produce the largest colas in my tent. The round pistil clusters are almost the size of golf balls and calyxes have not substantially formed yet.

Nature is slow. I would try to set it up super slow so that it rotates one complete turn in the entire light cycle. If you are running 18/6 then I'd have it slowly turn for the 18 hours so that one complete revolution takes the entire 18 hours. Same goes for the 12 hour cycle. If the point is to spread the light evenly over the plant and partially mimic nature then having it turn one revolution in the cycle makes sense to me. You'd have to be nutty professor to be able to get that timing down though.

Day 62
Day 32 of 12/12
Day ~ 24 of flower

Last night I irrigated only the Diamond Girl with 3 tsp Tiger Bloom
This morning the front OG was droopy so I irrigated it with 2 tsp Microbe Brew and 3 tbsp Big Bloom. I ran the water right next to the main stem and discovered all the water draining from the bottom outer edge of the fabric pot. So the water is channeling outward and avoiding the center. This is baaaaaaaaaaad. I used chopstick and poked holes from the surface about 4 or 5 inches away from the main stem but pointing in toward the center kind of under the main stem about 8 inches deep. These holes will channel water into the center of the root mass. After irrigating a little more water was draining from the center of the bottom of the pot. Success!!!! I will be performing this on all of them with their next irrigationr. I believe this may be my problem with GWS weird leaf browning. Maybe roots are getting dry spots and dying. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyways, everything is still looking good. I have come to the conclusion that I will be chopping more lower branches on the Hindu and probably the Diamond Girl. I have sooooo much weed from my last grow and there is soooooo much weed growing in my tent now that all of lower buds are a waste of time. Besides it will create more room, more air flow, more available energy for the top premo buds and the plant will drink less so I won't have to water as much. I've noticed since whittling down the Lemon Kush to 4 tops she is way less thirsty and she gives me a freakin break.

without further adieu

Day62a1.JPG

Hindu
Day62b1.JPG

Back row
Day62c1.JPG

Front row
Day62d1.JPG

Day62e1.JPG

I've trimmed the shit out of her but I'm still allowing for long buds on the Lemon Kush
Day62f2.JPG

Lemon Kush, I've rubbed her crystals and yup, Lemony Snicketts!
Day62g1.JPG

Hindu gettin stacked
Day62h.JPG

Back OG Kush
Day62i.JPG

I have utilized Light Addicts Backbuilding technique on the tallest Diamond Girl bud. It may have been early but she is just getting too tall and skinny. The Diamond Girl is a strange pheno I've never seen. It has strange growth.
Day62j.JPG

Diamond Girl is surprisingly crystally and even the fan leafs are getting juiced.
Day62k.JPG

AC keeps me cool. My last electric bill was $93.
Day62l.JPG

Death to all insects! It's that time of year. My entire house has these. I have 4 sticky traps in the ceiling of my tent. Each trap has 1 gnat on each side. Non toxic preventative measures are always a good call.
Day62m.JPG

OG bein droopy this morning. OG got swagger yo
Day62n.JPG

D Table got game
Day62o.JPG

D Table in action. I have to remove the buckets to irrigate the OGs because of splatter. Pain in the ass
Day62p.JPG

Lemon Kush is looking yummy
Day62q.JPG

Day62r.JPG

:theband:

Nice, I don't think you back built too soon, I did a test last run and I did exactly what u did early to stop a top from getting any taller. Worked out good bud was probably one of the hardest buds I did it to. I could be totally wrong but what I gather on this technique is its done to stop vertical growth and begin backfilling. So I think it was a good call. I've back built at weeks 4-5-6 all had positive results compared to non back built buds. LA states week 5 for the OR when the buds reach desired height.

Cheers

Catching up on your grow, things look great so far, I'm doing a somewhat similar multistrain using 600 watt HPS. Saw a question about a MH bulb. I have a MH bulb, and still have started my most recent grow using an HPS... they still grow! Lmao I feel the MH may of been running a bit hotter, it's a much bigger bulb, so I started HPS, then I scrapped the A/C I was using in my Grow/Office and put in a more efficient one. Going back to MH for a month or so before flowering, mostly just to conserve my HPS bulb in the case it burns out, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't believe there is a significant difference between the MH and HPS, HPS is more than adequate.

Catching up on your grow, things look great so far, I'm doing a somewhat similar multistrain using 600 watt HPS. Saw a question about a MH bulb. I have a MH bulb, and still have started my most recent grow using an HPS... they still grow! Lmao I feel the MH may of been running a bit hotter, it's a much bigger bulb, so I started HPS, then I scrapped the A/C I was using in my Grow/Office and put in a more efficient one. Going back to MH for a month or so before flowering, mostly just to conserve my HPS bulb in the case it burns out, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't believe there is a significant difference between the MH and HPS, HPS is more than adequate.
Yea mh bulbs put out much more heat. I went from a 400w mh bulb to a 1k HP's and temps came up 5c lol
On that note I can honestly say I did see a difference from using mh to hps. Resin quality. When I ran the mh all the way through flower.... The buds were waaay more resinous, but not near as many or as big.
In veg I haven't had the opportunity to test the hps. They say mh is better because of spectrum, but they also say HPs is better in flower. And I grew some stickey dank with mh.

I just remembered the easiest way I can confirm this lol. When I used the mh in flower I was averaging 15-20 grams dry per plant. I keep each plants trim separate. It would produce 1.5 to 2 grams of hash per plant. Recently on my first hps harvest I was averaging 30-35 grams per plant and the trim was pulling less then 1 gram per plant. Hmmm

I know ya were talking bout veg lol sorry stray a bit while thinking.

Your MH and HPS comparison is intriguing. I feel there are many variables to mention.
Did you compare a 400W MH to a 1000W HPS?
Were both of the bulbs brand new with 0 hours on them?
Were both used with a Digital Ballast?
Were both used with the same hood and reflective capability?
Were both grows with the same strains?
Were both grows using the same medium and nutrients throughout?
Did both have the exact same environmental conditions including temp and humidity?

For any valid comparison every detail needs to be comparable. So many things can contribute to resin production in those final weeks.

Anyone hear about jamming toothpicks through branches to scare the plant into producing more resin in the last few days before harvest? I hear it activates the plants defense mechanism.

Nature is slow. I would try to set it up super slow so that it rotates one complete turn in the entire light cycle. If you are running 18/6 then I'd have it slowly turn for the 18 hours so that one complete revolution takes the entire 18 hours. Same goes for the 12 hour cycle. If the point is to spread the light evenly over the plant and partially mimic nature then having it turn one revolution in the cycle makes sense to me. You'd have to be nutty professor to be able to get that timing down though.

With a hydro setup, I would use a water wheel and a drip indicator to do the Slooooooooowwwww motion turning. Mechanically easier than electricity from a still. Clock mechanism is your speed. I suggested 33 & 1/3 because one might have a record turntable somewhere :)

Back
Top Bottom