Can Aphids Cause Bud Rot?

I have a thought and am looking for some feed back. I was thinking of doing a Spinosad Then Baking Soda Lemon juice, Water, Water wash. That would be a four bucket wash.

In my reading I found that Baking soda is a natural pesticide for Aphids. So, Spinosad kills aphids, Baking soda kills aphids.

With baking soda being a pesticide on aphids should I even bother with the spinosad wash and just do the baking soda lemon juice, Or, should I do both with the intent of saving the plants yield?

Edit: Oh yes I forgot to add this. I also read that Diatoimaceous Earth works on them as well. Knowing I'm going to bud wash I decided to make a duster from a water bottle and dusted the entire plant. Took 4 cups of DE to cover the whole plant. This should kill a lot more and so long as we don't get rain it should work for few days. This stuff washes off easaly without clumping. I just need to get a week or two more out of this pant to make full harvest.

Here is a little info I found out tonight. Did you know Aphids glow under blacklight? I didn't until now.

Have a look!
Blacklight Aphid-01.jpg

I know the image is crap but in person they glow a bright green!

Oh Yes, Here is an image of the dusting.
DEarth Aphids-01.jpg

everyone has preferred method, I’m a plain water guy (no baking soda & lemon juice here) my go to is a 3 bucket bud soak where every cola stays under water (lukewarm) for 3 to 5 minutes (blaze time) in each bucket

heavy critterz might make me switch up the tactics but I would definitely not use Spinosad as part of bud washing, 4 cups of DE is a lot of grit already

I’d prolly double bud soak or double bud wash after DE dusting

but I’m always interested in learning. Are you afraid aphids will survive the bud washing? Have you had probs with this before?

everyone has preferred method, I’m a plain water guy (no baking soda & lemon juice here) my go to is a 3 bucket bud soak where every cola stays under water (lukewarm) for 3 to 5 minutes (blaze time) in each bucket

heavy critterz might make me switch up the tactics but I would definitely not use Spinosad as part of bud washing, 4 cups of DE is a lot of grit already

I’d prolly double bud soak or double bud wash after DE dusting

but I’m always interested in learning. Are you afraid aphids will survive the bud washing? Have you had probs with this before?
I have not this is my first time. I just can't afford to loose this plant and want to do all I can to save the buds. At this point I have nothing to loose because IMO the plant would trash otherwise.

Yes I was thinking some may survive and I would like them as eradicated as humanly possible. It is just a thought right now. I know some don't like using anything in the wash. I was going to try both and see what one worked better before all this aphid crap. LOL When I read that Baking soda in water worked to kill aphids. I wasn't sure that sniposad was needed but more of a backup. Trying to look at this with a multi prong approach.

From what I read when aphids are as bad as they are on this plant it may be more worth while to just take it out. I have turned leaves with 20 to 30 aphids on them. That in any book is a bad outcome. After my spinosad treatment yesterday I was only seeing 1 or 3 per leaf pulled So, it did help.

Like you I'm hesitant to do a spinosad wash. Figured If I did, I would do a weak dilution of it.

Oh and I should add, I plan on spraying the DE off with water before harvest. I have a small hand held pressure sprayer that should do the job.

cool deal on pressure sprayer to loosen up the funk, I’m sure you know some use h202 in first bucket to effervesce any pests or droppings

Thank you for reminding me, I had forgot that!

Had a heavy rain last night and it washed off most of the DEarth. Today I'm going to spray off what the rain did not wash off so it don't dry in hard clumps. I will wait for it dry and reapply the DEarth. I would like the DE to sit a few days so as the aphids crawl around they get shredded by the DE.

I feel your pain Morda!!!! The last two years I had huge infestations so before and after I did a good bath in Lemon, peroxide and also baking soda I gave them a good spraying from a garden hose. A huge amount of crap was released - I may have lost some trichs but it was that or toss it!!!
Good luck with this - keep us updated!!! :ciao:

I feel your pain Morda!!!! The last two years I had huge infestations so before and after I did a good bath in Lemon, peroxide and also baking soda I gave them a good spraying from a garden hose. A huge amount of crap was released - I may have lost some trichs but it was that or toss it!!!
Good luck with this - keep us updated!!! :ciao:
Thank you! I will post on this till the end outcome. :)

I'm starting to lean towards what you did for the wash. May not be a bad idea to spray them with a peroxide backing soda mix just before the wash to loosen things up as you said. My hand pump sprayer works great for getting in the bud as I found out today. I think I will use that over the hose. I'm sure I will loose some trichs over this but like you said, it is better than trashing the whole plant.

Hey Morda - I built a little stand up frame dealy that holds a screen (to support the branch) and then behind that a chunk of plastic to stop the spray and direct it down the sink. The branches then got a spray down and then a dunk in lemon, then baking soda and then peroxide and then another spray down then hung to dry.

Hey Morda - I built a little stand up frame dealy that holds a screen (to support the branch) and then behind that a chunk of plastic to stop the spray and direct it down the sink. The branches then got a spray down and then a dunk in lemon, then baking soda and then peroxide and then another spray down then hung to dry.
Sounds interesting, Do you have any pics of it?

It ain't worth taking a pic - It's just a box made out of 1 x 6 about 10" wide and 30" high - window screen stapled loosely on the front to support the branch as you spray it and plastic sheeting on the back to stop the water and direct it down the drain. I stand it up in the sink in my shop but you could do it outside, laying down, whatever. Jinx Jinx - I may not need it this year as I've been lucky so far but I don't wanna say anything!!! Jinx Jinx!!

It ain't worth taking a pic - It's just a box made out of 1 x 6 about 10" wide and 30" high - window screen stapled loosely on the front to support the branch as you spray it and plastic sheeting on the back to stop the water and direct it down the drain. I stand it up in the sink in my shop but you could do it outside, laying down, whatever. Jinx Jinx - I may not need it this year as I've been lucky so far but I don't wanna say anything!!! Jinx Jinx!!

Nice, that would help stabilize the branch to keep it from breaking off. Yeah I would be doing out side, my yard is mostly sand so it makes for a nice drain. LOL

Back
Top Bottom