Can I use a 60 watt a19 plant light bulb?

I am currently running a 55W Sunblaster CFL and 4x 24W homedepot (phillips 6500K) CFLs in my seedling start box.
I've never looked back. Look for daylight CFLs with ratings (actual 24W) or higher. Philips makes (24W and 42W actual) CFLs that work very well to start out vegging. Sunblaster 55W are expensive but worth it.

No incandescent should EVER be used on any plant.... Full stop. Far too much heat produced. Also they waste electricity like crazy.

thanks I have three plants that are about 5 inches tall under 3 60 w a19 bulbs at the moment but I am gonna get a led when I can afford it and the heat from them are not bad I can put my hand against it and doesn't even burn my hand at all I have a thermostat by the plants and it stays around 75 f sometimes goes to 80 but I got it to stay at 75 now with a fan

Canreasearcher take a hit and chill out. That kind of sensationalism isn't warranted.

You're referencing lights incorrectly. A19 is the socket type. You're just asking about an ordinary incandescent grow light, and while it will provide some useful light, compared to other types, it's not worth considering.

LEDs or HID/HPS have thier own set of details you need to know before buying them. And a lot more money than CFL's. Don't get the grass is greener syndrome before you do the homework. The devil is in the details.

CFL's have less heat and use less electricity than a old time grow bulb, and arguably, better light. There's a lot of discussion of heat vs lumen output vs watts, and the sweetspot is the 23w bulbs. Bigger bulbs are better if you can manage the extra heat, because it will add up.

Let me back up a second. All indoor lights are trying to replicate sunlight (10k lumens/m2), and the corresponding color spectrum of the seasons, since your plant uses these to grow and mature.

And when discussing CFL's, you want to use total lumen output, not watts. The useful light envelope of a CFL is cylindrical (not much light goes out the top or peak of the bulb) and only extends 5-6 inches from the bulb. So, to reach your goal of 10k lumens, you want 6 bulbs of 1600 lumens minimum. Any less lumens, you'll have smaller growth, more lumens, may or may not result in bigger growth. But for starters, stick to 10k target and be consistant. ~20$ at the orange box will get you a 6x CFL array, toss in another 12$ for lights perhaps, since you'll need two sets. 5000-6500kelvin for veg, and 2700k for flower. Manageable heat, and much less expensive per month than LED or HID/HPS.

Oh, inverse square law. The reason CFL's have to be within 4-6inches, is beyond that, the light is far less intense. If you have your lights 7 inches above your plants, they will stretch to the edge of the high lumen area (stretch 1-2inches) then resume normal growth.

Basically, don't rely on reflected CFL light for anything except to find whatever it is you just dropped. It's too weak for much at all. For three plants, depending on how big you're going to let them grow, you'll want 18 lights, 6 per plant.

Mine looks like this. The reflectors are coming off, since all they seem to do is trap and increase the heat.

light_12.JPG

thanks everybody this is my first time growing indoors. I have help grow about 100 plants outside on a mountain in California lol but nothing indoors does anybody have a website I can go to to get some cfl bulbs that will work if not that's ok I can search it up

A real budget grow led with almost no heat only 18w consumed for 100w output at 1600 lumen for flowering they work well for 20 bucks at Home Depot I used for several grows. I upgraded to full spectrum but I still put 2 of these in the flower room.
They also come in 5000k and the plants veg fast and strong at 6 inches away.
In my opinion CREE reliability and power blows away CFL which I have tried as well.

100W Equivalent Soft White (2700K) A21 Dimmable LED Light Bulb
a595a3b5-ecb9-414e-a40f-0386a496116e_400.jpg

You can go into any store and pick up some CFL's, you're just looking for 23w 150w equivielent bulbs (this is the big writing on the box). When you've found em, make sure to check the color temperature, it'll be listed somewhere. In the begining, you'll need 6500 or 5000K bulbs for vegging. In a few months you'll need the 2700K's for flowering. I get bulbs at my local costco for 3$ for 6 bulbs, which is a steal compared to 7$ for 4 bulbs at orangebox that are less lumens (1500 vs 1600lumens). No reason at all to special order high watt cfl's when you look at the big picture if you can fit the bulbs in your space.

Here, they ask folks not to post outside links to products that may compete with sponors, so , you'd need to google something like 200w CFL to get some links to the bigger CFL bulbs if that's what you're after. Frankly I'd run to the local shop vs hoping something like a glass bulb isn't broken in delivery :D

In flower, swap the 6500's for 2700's. This simulates the redder light of autumn. To help keep the stretch down (first two weeks of flower where the plant still grows vertically) you can use 4 or 5 2700's and 1 or two 6500's. If you keep a full set of each , you'll have a spare if you mix the colors a bit too.

There's a lot of little things you'll need along the way. Do you have a pH tester pen and a method of odor control and all that sorted out?

I have a ph tester on the way and nothing for odor I have the plants in a spare bedroom o I'm growing them in soil I have 20-20-20 fertilizer and gonna get some 10-30-20 fertilizer and I also have molasses and got some root stimulate on the way

one more ? lol I know ill need 6 of the 6500 or 5000 k for one plant how many of the 2700k will I need for one plant

If your in a space less than 2ft then two of the cree 100 led will make good stuff 4 could make great stuff but it has alot to do with,, are you hydro or soil how much of this and how much of that.
CFL is ok made many buds indoors in winter, they were fine ,,,BUT
You can do much better for 40% more up front but less heat and even less power,,, buy it once lasts for moons. And results will come

Ah ok. Here's a couple things. If you're not worried about your place smelling like a bud forrest, then you don't need any odor control, and your ventilation is just to exchange air. If you are concerned that you don't want your neighbors smelling your flowering crop, you'll have to get the venting sorted out, sooner than later. Budding plants are stinky. Don't underestimate this. You'll be around them every day, so you won't really know how potent the smell is.

I'm going to continue here on the presumption you're a new grower that stuck seeds in dirt, got germination, and now you're caught pants down trying to get what you need to get them to harvest. Lol don't take offense at that, probably 90% of new growers do this to some degree. There is just so much more details involved than simply sticking a seed in dirt like it was a normal vegatable.

And for the best answers to questions you're going to have, you want to get accustomed to providing the required information people will need to assist you. Give the faqs here a look, read at other sites, I do all the time, but I find the most knowledgable answers are found here. Until you get a feel for what relates to what in a discussion, just try to remember "give details".

You're also very curious how to do all of this, but my best advice is keep it simple. And if you want to gain a understanding of what you're doing vs just following someone's instructions, keep it simple. And remember that there will always be more to learn from here on out. In the begining stick with proven methods before you try someone's latest experiment they need to share with the world.

Don't be swayed by glitter. The best way for you to get a successful first grow with a good yield is to learn as you go and make sure your girl is happy. The yield will naturally follow.

Having said that, let me list some of the things you're most likely going to need.

Odor control, do you need it? If you do, double your estimates on what you think you need and get that. You'll need a good fan to vent a room, vortex fans are more expensive, but more powerful and a better buy than saving 20$ getting a inline fan. Without going into the details, vortex's are simply better.

You'll probably need a good sized carbon scrubber, these run around 70$. There's no need to get the best brand/most expensive (the ones you'll see don't do windows, so no reason they're so stupidpriced.)

Nutes. You say youve got some 20-20-20. This is gardener talk, and it doesn't sound like you're using something geared for growing weed. You want to look at a simple and easy to use nutrient system that is all inclusive. I went with general hydroponics line and some additives, and it works and its inexpensive. Some nute lines have 10-20 different products. Look at those for your later grows when you know what these things are supposed to do.
You want something with grow nutes, mirco nutes, and flowering nutes, in a 2 or 3 part system (add partA and B to gallon of water). You want to have some sort of silica additive for plant health, and some enzyme additive to keep root rot and other problems at bay. For the suppliments, I use silica blast and hydroguard.

This is a big subject with undreds if not thousands of products to choose from. Go as simple as you can, because no nute system will work if you don't know how to use it. You don't need molassas at this point, try to understand what it's for before you use it.

Your pH tester is a pen type I hope. If you ordered one of those soil testers with the long probes, send it back and get a pen tester. You'll also need a way to adjust the pH, either with solutions, or learn what you can use around the house to do the same thing.

You'll need a timer for your lights, you'll need to make sure the room your plants are in is light tight for flower,

You must learn how to water your plants.

There is a ton of info you need to absorb, or I say should absorb.

thanks I just got to get the money up for all the stuff I need I think after these plants ill wait till I get everything I need before I start my next plants I have mountain mist seeds and blueberry seeds put up for now

Back
Top Bottom