Can I use just plan dirt I dig up

regular dirt is not buffered and therefore will not drift after you water it. To deal with regular soil you would have to adjust your pH to various levels within the range on each watering so that you could pick up the needed nutrients. Regular soil without perlite or other similar fillers tends to compact over time and make it hard for good roots to develop. Regular soil from the back yard might sound good, but there is a reason people pay extra for a good buffered potting soil.

Regular soil usually need to have aeration added once you put it into a container.

So short answer is yes. The trees and grass and all the outdoor plants are ok with it so should be able to grow a weed with it no problem right?

I'd amend it with some aeration (per-lite) and some compost at minimum. You could be surprised at the outcome. Quality in quality out tho. Look for soil that is a dark brown color that isn't well compacted. IF you have woods near by that wood be where I would look for a place to harvest local dirt. Probably already filled with EWC.

Back
Top Bottom