Can I use the dirt from my recent grow?

luvsmokinweed

Im getting ready to start my 3rd grow and my pockets are low. I was thinking... Since I used bull**** MG dirt last grow, could I re-use it this grow? I ask this because I want to use the little money I have to get nutes and was hoping the last plant would have used all the crap in the MG dirt, on top of a week of flushing, so its like regular dirt now. So is this possible for me to do or should I just use my money and get some good dirt and grow with no nutes?¿? Also, what distance should I have my 100 watt HPS from my seedlings in a 3'x2'8x3' growbox¿¿¿

I would go with some new soil

Thanks COKE420!! So you think I will have better results with new soil and no nutes?... I tried to give you a like on your response but im on my cell and the internet is crap! Lol :)

I think I disagree with you on this one, Coke.

Most of the strength of the MG should be gone from the soil. I'd worry about salts is all. But if it's been well flushed, the money is probably better put into nutes. Good soil with no nutes will get you a disappointing grow. 'Course you can break down and buy nutes later - can't replace the soil later.

There's a chart floating around here somewhere listing various wattage HIDs and the distance they should be from plants. I think a 100 watt is safe at 3-4 inches - you get full sun equivalent at 7 inches for a 150 watt. You might want to set it a little higher for seedlings, until they harden up a bit. Ah, found 'em! - courtesy of KingJohnC:

HPSGraphPAR1.jpg

Metal_Halide_chart1.jpg

HPS_chart1.jpg

Miracle Grow is horrible soil, dead and nasty.

Get some new soil for sure. I recommend Ocean Forest because then you'll get 30 days where you can use plain water. By then perhaps you can afford nutrients.

The way you just put it sounds the best to me but the problem is, it will be almost the end of the grow before ill have extra money for nutes!! :( ... Im on a very tight budg. do to my new 100 watt MH vegg set up.

Also, im giving all of these responses likes when I get to a real PC lol :)

luvsmokinweed, (idotoolol)

I have faced this problem before as well. I used the soil for two grows. What I did was put all the old soil in a kitty pool so I could break it up, mix, and stir it. I left the old roots in as well. I just added things from around my house. (don't know if you have this ability) I

lived out in the "woods" so there was tons of moss, farm dung, natural compost, and a million other things found in the forest floor. And this was before google, so I'm sure there is a lot of organic things around too use. But even if you live in the city, there is always a park

or national forest close by, just make sure you check the law before walking out with a bucket full of stuff you collected. After collecting it all I just mixed it in and covered it with a trash bag and left it for a month. This allowed the matter to break down. This is not always

necessary, but I had an "old timer" tell me to give it time to break down. But I have just mixed and added plants too. It worked as well. If you do this route be sure to log allthe stuff you mix in. This was some of the best growing times I had. Making good with what you got makes you appreciate your crop better. Hope this helps. Happy growing.

I've been going with the same soil for two seasons now. I'm doing third run with it now and there's nothing telling you that sth is wrong. You just need to recharge it from time to time, mostly with nitrogen, calcium and magnesium.

Back
Top Bottom