Can you cure bag weed?

Dead Cthulhu

Hello everyone,

I recently got a great price on a zip of my favorite strain, blue dream. Sadly it tastes really green, doesnt have quite the proper funk, and is wet to the point im setting buds out to dry outside of their bag for a few hours before i break them down to smoke. I'm no expert but I think the buds weren't cured much or properly or something.

Would it be possible to set a large chunk of this into a mason jar and put it away to cure to really make this blue dream pop or would that not work since it wasnt done right after it finished drying?

Also all I have are big mason jars, what would happen if the mason jar wasn't quite 2/3rds full and closer to 1/2? would that have a negative impact on curing?

Thanks for your help

I would try. If it is that wet still it probably just came off the plant and they started selling it. I would try to let it cure.
Thats what I was thinking, i put about a half into a 1 quart jar a few days ago and stuck it in my dresser. All I can find on filling cure jars says to fill them about 2/3rds-3/4ths full, my jar is right around 1/2 full, will that negatively affect the cure or is the above guideline moreso to prevent overfilling so you can't turn the buds?

Ok thanks a bunch! I've been burping it daily but i havent seen any moisture inside the jar, there was a slight seal on the jar today when I popped it open though :)

Ok thanks a bunch! I've been burping it daily but i havent seen any moisture inside the jar, there was a slight seal on the jar today when I popped it open though :)

You are really just shooting with blanks. You need to know the humidity level.

The "green taste" is most likely from a bad cure meaning that it happened to quickly and now you are out of the cure zone. Which means you are going to be stuck with a "green" cure. You could do something like add lemon peel or orange peel to try and give it a little moisture and a better smell. But unfortunately adding moisture wont restart the cure process.

+70% RH - too wet, needs to sit outside the jar to dry for 12-24 hours, depending.
65-70% RH - the product is almost in the cure zone, if you will. It can be slowly brought to optimum RH by opening the lid for 2-4 hours.
60-65% RH - the stems snap, the product feels a bit sticky, and it is curing
55-60% RH - at this point it can be stored for an extended period (3 months or more) without worrying about mold. The product will continue to cure.

Below 55% RH - the RH is too low for the curing process to take place. The product starts to feel brittle. Once you've hit this point, nothing will make it better. Adding moisture won't restart the curing process; it will just make the product wet.

P1000830.JPG

P10100716.JPG

The "green taste" is most likely from a bad cure meaning that it happened to quickly and now you are out of the cure zone. Which means you are going to be stuck with a "green" cure. You could do something like add lemon peel or orange peel to try and give it a little moisture and a better smell. But unfortunately adding moisture wont restart the cure process.

My hygrometer was too big for the jar I have the buds in so I put them in a ziploc bag with the hygro and put that bag into another to help make sure it was fully sealed, I just checked it maybe 3 minutes after setting that up and it's already at 54% RH. I'll keep you updated. If it is still in the cure zone is it possible for me to cure bag weed?

at 63% RH after 50ish mins in the bags. I havent done anything to alter the moisture content either, it went straight from my bag, to the jar for 10ish days, then to this new bag.

The humidity level is at 68% after a full day, I opened the bag to drop it down some. Because it's still above that 55% level, can this weed be cured still even if it wasnt just recently harvested and dried

The humidity level is at 68% after a full day, I opened the bag to drop it down some. Because it's still above that 55% level, can this weed be cured still even if it wasnt just recently harvested and dried

Now your cooking with fire!

And yes! It can still cure as long as it still has some moisture in it. Use this as your guideline for curing:

+70% RH - too wet, needs to sit outside the jar to dry for 12-24 hours, depending.
65-70% RH - the product is almost in the cure zone, if you will. It can be slowly brought to optimum RH by opening the lid for 2-4 hours.
55-60% RH - at this point it can be stored for an extended period (3 months or more) without worrying about mold. The product will continue to cure.

Below 55% RH - the RH is too low for the curing process to take place. The product starts to feel brittle. Once you've hit this point, nothing will make it better. Adding moisture won't restart the curing process; it will just make the product wet.

Be careful with this one:
Depending on your RH of the room, you could dry it out to fast. So if your RH in the room is low and you leave the bag open for say 4 hours... You may dry it out too much and miss the cure zone. Better off doing 30 minutes and then recheck it in a couple hours.

Once its in the cure zone (60-65%) you can just burp it once a day to refresh the air which helps bacteria break down the chlorophyll

After you hit 60% RH you can stop burping it and leave it sealed.

So most people say a cure should be at a minimum of 2 weeks. So now it is up to you how long you like your weed cured. :)

Good luck resisting that weed in the bag :drool::rofl:

Back
Top Bottom