Can you get fungus gnats in DWC?

Vestrimatrik

I was preparing for my flush and decided I would run copious amounts of water through my roots just to be thorough...
These tiny little specs started apearing by the thousands after filling and agitating the roots with water. Most of them are brown some are black and move and I also had what appears to be gnats floating in the water.

Dare I ask, but do I have fungus gnats? And if so will it affect my yeild and flush 7 weeks into flower?

Any and all information would be great, especially a cheap (possibly free) way to treat them this late in flower.

20160503_010136.jpg

I actually just had little flies/ gnats in my reservoir about 2 weeks ago. I'm 4 weeks into flower. I am at work right now. But when I get home I'll take a picture of what I have purchased from my local hydro shop. I add 2-3 drops to a new batch of reservoir water. As I don't want these little organisms (whatever they are) to affect my yield either.

*although now looking at your picture since I just got it to show up..... Mine didn't look like that. What I had on my roots were black little gnats/flies and larva
no dark browness.

Do you add h2o2 to your water? How often do you change your water those roots don't look very healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I thought it was just the coloring from the heavy amounts of GH micro I was feeding her, they are constantly colored all the way through. I change it about once every 2 weeks or so, and I also add hydroguard every time I do.
The bucket usually isn't filled that much but I wanted to do kind of a dunk rinse. The roots aren't slimy and don't smell at all like anything other than healthy. I think they look blurry and brown due to an optical illusion created by the water and what little light I was letting in.

Rest temps, ph, ppm, levels, and everything else have been great so far, this just has me puzzled.
I'll get some better pics up soon.

Maybe I'm wrong but I like seeing bright white roots. Brown could mean root rot.

I like seeing bright white roots too:thumb: but I heard that GH micro specifically has a tendency to "dye" roots. I would hate to have pythium this far in as I've never dealt with it before. I don't know what's up with the darker root other than maybe that's where one of the main "streams" of water trickling down is.... again, idk? Other than that they are all pretty uniform in color and are about 4 months old.

20160503_080134.jpg

So on to the other problem...
Got a close up of these two, top is what I've found flying around inside, bottom is of what I assume is the pupa stage?

20160503_081028.jpg

20160503_080812.jpg

I'm also fighting powdery mildew and don't know whether or not these two are linked.

Here is one of the girls I'm having the problems with. They are 7 weeks into flowering with 90/10 cloudy/amber. I'm starting my flush and was planning on chopping on the 19th.

20160503_083827.jpg

20160503_084250.jpg

I also read that if it is fungus gnats then they take anywhere from 10-20 days to reach the adult stage from pupa. As it is right now I had somewhere between 10-50 of the winged ones.

What do you think? Should I let it ride till chop day or continue to peruse a solution?

I like seeing bright white roots too:thumb: but I heard that GH micro specifically has a tendency to "dye" roots. I would hate to have pythium this far in as I've never dealt with it before. I don't know what's up with the darker root other than maybe that's where one of the main "streams" of water trickling down is.... again, idk? Other than that they are all pretty uniform in color and are about 4 months old.

20160503_080134.jpg

So on to the other problem...
Got a close up of these two, top is what I've found flying around inside, bottom is of what I assume is the pupa stage?

20160503_081028.jpg

20160503_080812.jpg

I'm also fighting powdery mildew and don't know whether or not these two are linked.

Here is one of the girls I'm having the problems with. They are 7 weeks into flowering with 90/10 cloudy/amber. I'm starting my flush and was planning on chopping on the 19th.

20160503_083827.jpg

20160503_084250.jpg

I also read that if it is fungus gnats then they take anywhere from 10-20 days to reach the adult stage from pupa. As it is right now I had somewhere between 10-50 of the winged ones.

What do you think? Should I let it ride till chop day or continue to peruse a solution?

I am not a pro or anything, but I remember reading that you only need to flush for 3 days with dwc and that if you do a nice slow dry/cure you don't need to flush.

Any and all information would be great, especially a cheap (possibly free) way to treat them this late in flower.

You said any and all information so... gnats like cold wet environments. They don't normally kill a plant or anything. They suck energy. They don't effect finished quality except overall plant health and yield.

A cheap fix for soil growing is to ease up on the waterings, and raise the temps to keep things dry, an extra light heats the room enough to get the gnats under control.

Normally gnats don't infect hydro but it is possible I suppose. The reservoir is a perfect breading ground for species that can lay eggs on water. The ones you have look different from the ones Ive seen but it does look like a gnat. They look like mosquitos.

the issue you have is that you can't dry everything as much as a soil grow. You need your tank to be the right temps. You have to figure out a way to disrupt their ability to use the water without disrupting the roots. Maybe a strong mist or sprayer that drowns them and not the root.

in short
make the top of the plant hot and dry which cannabis can endure better than the gnats

2. make the root zone so humid and irrigated that the gnats can't live there either.

3. look for other places where the gnats could hide out.

also gnats come from contaminated soil. They are no big deal really. But keep in mind that bringing in manure or such things contains insect eggs

^ literally 1-3 drops per 5 gallon of reservoir water. And sometimes take a cup full of the reservoir water with the drops of microbe lift in it to run through your growing medium. (Hydroton for me) but don't do it too much because just as mentioned above you want to keep the top of the medium dry.

Cost me about $18 at my hydro shop and will last a long time. .

Sent from my iPhone using 420

I have controlled fungus gnats in soil with mosquito dunks. I got them at Lowe's I think and they are little doughnut shaped disks (look like pressed sawdust) of a microbial bacteria that specifically targets larvae of water loving insects. Seems like they would work in hydro as well.

Back
Top Bottom