Cana Coco A & B instructions query

PatBezz

G'day all - firstly I'd like to say what a great forum this is and how blown away I am by the depth of members experience and enthusiasm to share and help others. I am on my first grow in about 10 yrs and only my third attempt at hydro this time using COCO. Previous grows have been with perlite and powdered A & B high K nutrients. Having this COCO specific sub thread has been very welcome to my learning experience so far. I have started (after hours of research) using CANNA COCO medium and the CANNA COCO A & B nutrients. Seeds were germinated in both a potting mix medium (first lot) then the 2nd lot in a seed raising mix/finely chopped sphagnum moss combo which worked beautifully. The sphagnum moss was available from orchid propagation so got used at a rate of about 30% sphag to 70% seed raising and made transplanting to the coco a piece of p##s. My question is regarding the CANNA COCO instructions on their website where it refers to accurately determining the pH and EC of the substrate/medium NOTE not the nutrients in the drainage water !!!!!! This is the blurb "When growing in cocoponics , determining the pH and EC level from drainage water is not a true indication of the coconut substrates value. For optimal results , you are encouraged to use the 1:1.5 extraction method. Please consult a preferred CANNA retailer for the instructional DVD explaining this method." My question is has anyone seen this DVD ? Is the extraction method basically the addition of coco medium to distilled water (after squeezing out excess moisture) and doing a pH test on the coco medium distilled "tea" ? Or do I just use a soil pH test kit on the medium treating it the same as soil during testing ? Being referred to a retailer to find a DVD get's my "another marketing ploy" suspicions aroused (settle peoples) so interested in anyones thoughts on this direction/method from CANNA. Cheers all Pat.

I am on my 1st grow using Coco and I just followed the instructions on the bottles and everything seems to be going well. Didn't know about a DVD, but I will look for it and check it out. I have pics of my grow on here.
I check my PH before when I add the A&B and it comes out to 5.9-6.1 which is suppose to be in the ball park for good growing. Probably not much help but I am learning as it grows.

Cheers kaw900r thanks for stopping by. I have no issues with water pH & EC during nutrient prep. and monitoring runoff water I am more interested in seeing whether the advice on the website is just a bumsteer to a retailer to sell me more merch. Being a pessimistic optimist I can't help but think this is all it is. Thanks Pat.

hi i just seen this tread :thumb:
I am currently growing in coco I'm using plagron nutes
yes i have heard that the run-off ph is not an accurate indication of the ph of your coco
as far as i know the best method is a slurry test which is what you said about the 1:blushsmile:5 extraction method.
basically mix the coco with distilled water and let it sit for a while and then test that this should be the ph of your medium

Cheers Greenergrass I'm pretty confident we have an idea of what is involved furthermore there's no need to fix what is not broke so my plants growth tells me everything is fine so so be it. Cheers Pat.

Awesome question because I've been thinking about growing in the coco as well. I'm going to have to take note of this testing method if I decide to take the plunge into the coco side of growing. Good Luck!

Gday WreckNRoll I wouldn't worry about testing the medium as long as you prep. your nutrients and pH right and DON'T get slack on flushing especially towards the end. Monitor the EC of the runoff when you flush until it is near the original tap water EC. Cheers Pat.

So If I Understand The Directions Correctly It Can Only Be:

A: 15ml Of Canna Coco A In 1 Gallon Of Water, Mix Then 15ml Of Canna Coco B In 1 Gallon Of Water, Mix, then Mix A&B together Yielding 2 Gallons Of Nutes.

Or

B: 15ml Of Canna Coco A In 1 Gallon Of Water, Mix Then Add 15ml Of Canna Coco B Into The 1 Gallon Mix Of Canna Coco A, Mix, Yielding 1 Gallons Of Nutes.

So If I Understand The Directions Correctly It Can Only Be:

A: 15ml Of Canna Coco A In 1 Gallon Of Water, Mix Then 15ml Of Canna Coco B In 1 Gallon Of Water, Mix, then Mix A&B together Yielding 2 Gallons Of Nutes.

Or

B: 15ml Of Canna Coco A In 1 Gallon Of Water, Mix Then Add 15ml Of Canna Coco B Into The 1 Gallon Mix Of Canna Coco A, Mix, Yielding 1 Gallons Of Nutes.

B is the correct method. The reason there is an A and B part is that in concentrated form if they are mixed together some of the nutrients fall out of solution. Once part A is mixed, there is no chance of this happening (assuming the pH is reasonable).

Back
Top Bottom