Canada and the death of SoG

Stilletto

I thought this would be an interesting topic for discussion.

For those of you who do not know yet, a major change has been made in Canada reguarding medical marijuana. One version of the story is linked below:
Medical Marijuana Delivery To Go Private

The basic rundown is that pot will now be like any other med, grown by one large company and sold through pharmacies. All that is required is a perscription. ALL licences to GROW and smoke will be revoked in less than 12 months.

This was always one of my fears.... this is a ridiculous idea and will do nothing to curb the violence or consumption of the illegal market. They are essentially just adding Gov't weed as another option and trying to make some money without any real change.
This all plays a big part in the last budgets implimentation of the 6 month manditory minimums for growing more than 6 plants. They had this all planned out.... now look at what will happen. In 12 months ANY grow op will pretty much put you behind bars. This is crazy.... and the gov't already has 26,000 licenced growers addresses.... you better believe they will all be getting a visit from the RCMP shortly after this all kicks in.
It was also noted in the story that prices for "legal" weed will rise from $1.80- $5.00 - $8.80 per gram.... wow... that is more than the gangbangers charge.

Now back to the title of this post... I have always been a "use the tools of the enemy to your own ends" kinda guy.... So what to do in these troubling times if you cant move to Seattle or Denver?.... Grow less than 6 plants is what I say.
The ^month law was "said" to contain the deffinition as "6 flowering" plants.... but I would like to see that in writing before I gamble on it.
For the last few years I have set up my system to run 4 plants in flower with 4 in veg..... this "might" comply with the new "don't wanna go to jail" law.... but it is still unsure. I will likely just try to grow 2 plants in flower, but make them the 2 biggest fricken plants I can grow. Currently I harvest 2 plants every 30 days at 4-5oz per plant. The days of people tryng to harvest 20 small plants at 1 oz each under a 400w light are over. It will come down to how big can you make a single plant or two.Yes at that point it will still be illegal but I am willing to take risks in life, just not "go to jail" risks.... I have a life and family.

All in all, this recent assult on our liberties here in Canada is in stark contrast to what is happening south of the border....

Chime in with your thoughts guys...

Jonny

Re: Canada and the death of SoG.

This forum has been quiet of late...

Not Canadian here, but French instead. I agree, what's going on in Canada makes little sense.

It was also noted in the story that prices for "legal" weed will rise from $1.80- $5.00 - $8.80 per gram.... wow... that is more than the gang bangers charge.

Now that's amusing! 28.3495 grams (an oz) x $8.80= $249.47. Around here a 1/4 oz costs $60 or $240.00/oz and that for very average quality weed. The good stuff runs about $300-$400 an oz, if you can find it. The Canadian Govt has done its market research.:laughtwo:

Western NY is no place to buy weed... I consume about 1/4 oz every 10 days-thank God I grow for my own head or I could ill afford it.:laugh:

Wow,.. l knew this day would come for medical cannabis users in my home country. The government got a hold of it,. and now they will control it,. Not bad enough that Ontario has such a huge tax price,. 14%. HST...Now the poor Canadian are going to pay threw the nose on this,. and the pharmaceutical companies have hit pay dirt..Wow...

yes its a uncomfortable time i live in rural ontario and just received my lic last year the things i hear is that when govt called for tenders from drug companies nobody stood up to the plate so the next idea i hear is now a private enterprize there are people out there now lic to grow for compassion shops and people lic to transport 10lbs at a time take away the right to grow your own is going to back fire jails will fill up with people who are only sick not crimmals sad state of affairs are they willing have to put it into drug insurance plans you think the insurance companies are going to do that we are dreaming its a simple fix the f conservative govern is making it f up COME ON ELECTIONS STEPHEN SEE YOU LATER

I 'm afraid that the start of, the end of, "Prohibition is the USA", is going to hit everyone, including Canada. There's a lot of money spent on weed in North America already, and it's still illegal. Ever LEVEL of government is going to want a slice of taxes, as it becomes a legitimate business. Just hope it doesn't become another 'Tobacco Industry'.
By the time prohibition is completely gone, there will be a lot more taxes going into the government coffers from weed.
Just think how many of your friend are making 'moon-shine'? Wasn't that long ago it was a popular thing to do.
The small guy just can't compete with the mega company or the government.

Leave it to the government to screw up a good thing. I`m in Michigan, the closest MMJ dispensary wants $17 a gram and its 75 miles one way. Needless to say I grow my own. Yeah they caused alot of the dispensaries here to close awhile back.

Peace & Great Growin`
YR

Wow,yet not that surprised truly at the lengths the Canadian government will go to get there share of the almighty dollar.,.with the taxes so ridiculously high now at 14 %....greed has hit an altimeter high back home. To me it's all about control.
But more over, why the hell did the people not rally and fight this move... Or better yet,.this hostage take over of our freedoms.

Health Canada has allowed me 10 plants but a recent accident made spine condition worse to point I have to apply for disability pension, cannot afford dispensary prices and will continue to grow even if they go thu with revoking gro permits. I know my plants are clean, no sprays and they are the strains I want, plus I have methods of making the weed more medicinal that commercial growers wont take the time to do...my cost is nothing other than nutrients an gro bags, peat pellets an bulbs when they need replacing. I use flourescent for veg/clones and a quantum 600w hps dimmable digital ballast for veg/flowering.

Speaking as someone from a country where growing and possession of any kind is illegal it's a damned shame to see what's happening in Canada. The whole situation to me just makes no fucking sense at all.

Legalise it to tax it and make money, yet at the same time vastly restrict production levels of the commodity and damage the very core of the industry?

I would suggest that there's much more at play here than we're privy to. Some would argue that it's a great overarching conspiracy and I can understand that point of view as their actions seem utterly conflicted in regard to their intentions. I think a more plausible scenario however is that in an effort to play catch up with whats happened in the US its turned into a complete clusterfuck of policy and understanding, coupled with political ineptitude, and interdepartmental infighting on the subject at all levels of government.

There is one clear loser here and that is the consumer, or I should say the patient. Sadly it's not a distinction that is able to be made the way things are in the UK at the moment we're all de facto criminals, growers and users alike.

There is a notion in not a small part of the community here whenever the issue possible decrimination or legalisation is brought up which meets it with a certain amount of well founded skepticism as to the repercussions that it could cause. It would seem to be very much a catch22 issue as I believe we'd face many of the same barriers to progress that you guys are. In my opinion a large part of this comes down not to any form logical debate of but simply a clash of outdated political Ideology against what is a obvious groundswell of public opinion. Most of what I've gathered of Stephen Harpers position on marijuana is that of a zealot looking to simply justify his own framework of belief which is not unlike that our own dear old David Cameron.

Oh yes and hello 420 forums :D

washington allows 15 plants period no difference in flowering or not be they new clones ,just popped seedlings or mature ready to harvest no more than 15 plants. how you want to space yours is up to you.

This is exactly the reason why I'm opposed to "registering" to grow. Because if the law ever changes, yer screwed. They got yer number.

actually washington keeps no records, you just have your card no state record, at least that's their story.
honest we don't record your phone call, we don't actually take a picture of every piece of mail sent thru the postal service, we don't view and track your e-mail, your record of firearms purchase is destroyed within 72 hours. etc etc
Your government knows every move you make and those you only think about making.

Have you ever read 1984? It's worth reading, because many of the concepts in that book are being implemented today. Cannabis opens us up to higher levels of consciousness, and Big Brother doesn't want that.

I would suggest that there's much more at play here than we're privy to. Some would argue that it's a great overarching conspiracy and I can understand that point of view as their actions seem utterly conflicted in regard to their intentions. I think a more plausible scenario however is that in an effort to play catch up with whats happened in the US its turned into a complete clusterfuck of policy and understanding, coupled with political ineptitude, and interdepartmental infighting on the subject at all levels of government.
QFT, you seem to know the Canadian political scene so well I'd say you were a Canadian yourself but then I realized your in the UK & thought "of course you know it, our system is your system". I know Harper catches the blame on this & rightfully so but truth is no matter what political stripe you run there will always be people for & against it in your chosen parties. Just recently we had the prodigal son (Justin Trudeau) come out & state his views on the decimalization/legalization as a counter punch to Harper's view, good stuff but I'd bet dollars to donuts if he wins not much will change .

I 'm afraid that the start of, the end of, "Prohibition is the USA", is going to hit everyone, including Canada. There's a lot of money spent on weed in North America already, and it's still illegal. Ever LEVEL of government is going to want a slice of taxes, as it becomes a legitimate business. Just hope it doesn't become another 'Tobacco Industry'.
By the time prohibition is completely gone, there will be a lot more taxes going into the government coffers from weed.
Just think how many of your friend are making 'moon-shine'? Wasn't that long ago it was a popular thing to do.
The small guy just can't compete with the mega company or the government.

God this is bullshit, I'm rather shocked by this news, I always figured Canada was chill for weed.

I live in california and my mid grade bomb nugs costs $11.66 at the local dispensary including tax. It is no surprise that the government wants to regulate this because it WILL be just like the tobacco and Alcohal industry. I feel sorry for the Canadians, they have seen the beginning and the end of marijuanna in their country.

Remember these times folks, where you grew your own meds... Back in the day.

I think taking the rights of Canadians is a bad idea.I would organize a mass boycott of there pharmacy bud.It will only lead to more illegal grows to capitalize on all the lack of product from the registered growers that were shut down.It will probably be all commercial grade junk grown in such a big manner that mites mold and hermies would be undetectable until it is at the point of using super poison to control it.They will probably have standards but not all of it is tested.

There will be fields of seedy outdoor junk to be sold cheep by people that probably wont be Canadian just like out in California.

My opinion would be to fight that in court,but I don't know how your system works...

I hope you guys can get that figured out.

Unfortunately, justice isn't just.

We will struggle and in the end the we will lose our rights even if it's in a complex manner.

My thoughts are with all the ones who struggle with the government and it's "tactics". We will survive and we will continue to grow gods gift.

Back
Top Bottom