Cfl help.

Vexer

So Im going to get some cfls and I have no idea what kind of light fixture to get for them. Ive been to lowes and wal-mart and I didn't really see anything. So I was just wondering what kind of fixture am I suppose to get. I would like a fixture that I can move up and down as they get taller. Any help would be awesome thanks.

Well I already got my bulbs, I just need to know what kind of fixture to look for and where to find it. Im completely lost on this part. I checked out your grow journal l8nightskunk, what kinda fixtures are those your using and where can one find em?

You can get work light reflectors at Home Depot or Lowe's. I am using brooder reflectors. They are 10" in diameter. they are just like work light reflectors but they have a porcelain socket. This is so they can handle up to 350 Watts. CFLs don't put out nearly that much heat so you can get the ones with plastic sockets for a little less $$.

Here's a picture on my reflectors and a picture of what is inside each of them.
00762.JPG

01144.JPG

When the picture of the reflector was taken, I only had 2 lamps under there. Now I have 4 lamps and the lamps hang over the edges a little.

the way i did it was i went to walmart and bought lamp repair kits, and the wire to plug into the wall all together was like 5 bucks after that you have to put the lamp repair kit together real easy. Then i went to home depot and bought the two ways and thats it

When you say 2 ways you mean the things that hold 2 bulbs at once? I went to wal-mart today just to look around and I saw all that stuff but it looks so complex lol. In that bottem left picture what does that thing on the top screw into?

So I was looking on my box of cfl bulbs and I cant find the k number. The only thing I saw was it said soft light is this good or should I get the daylight one? Or should I go with a mixture of both?

soft light you would use in blooming... that color temp is in the 3k range

for veg you want daylight.... 6k+ range (usualy 65k)

you can also usualy find this info on the bulb/ballast it's self. at the bottom of the bulb will me a stamp, that has it's profile callout, wats and usualy color tempeture... or k#. Sometimes this number is not listed an CT or K, but just appears with another color name call out like the following....

4100cw = cool white llamp 4100k
5000?? = brightwhite lamp 5000k
(both of those are great to light a garage or office.. but wasted on plants.)
6500dx = daylight(deluxe)lamp 6500k

Has anyone seen or used the Flourex brand 150 watt area light, they say equals 1000 watt flood light almost in lumens. I think it was 10,050 compared to 13,000 for the 1000 watt. The price for bulb and complete fixture with diffuser lens in metal housing was only $ 67 or somethin'

Has anyone seen or used the Flourex brand 150 watt area light, they say equals 1000 watt flood light almost in lumens. I think it was 10,050 compared to 13,000 for the 1000 watt. The price for bulb and complete fixture with diffuser lens in metal housing was only $ 67 or somethin'

the one i have is a 100w flourex CFL floodlight from HD, same thing you are talking about only 100w, i did not see the 150w version only the 100w, 85w, and 65w

the 85w one also looks like it would do very well also.

i must say i am loving the one i have and better yet, the plants are LOVING it. if i move them a little farther away they turn around and are reaching for it an hour later! i tried to squeeze 4 pots right under it and had them all a little out from the center of the light, when i got home today they were all reaching for the dead center of the light despite all the other lights in the closet lol and each gained over a half inch today.

the 100w was 59.95 or something like that.it said it had 10,050 lumens in big letters on the box but later read the small print and it said 10,050 visible and 6,700 photopic lumens, im assuming these are the ones i want considering i thought 10,500 sounded too good to be true. but still not bad. the light stays pretty cool. only problem is it takes a while to warm up or something like the HID lights i dont know maybe its just me or the electric, the lights always flicker here and the incadescent bulbs burn out every month. i gotta fix that when i get my HPS sooooooooo anyways maybe if you saw a 100w for 7$ more with 3,350 more lumens go for it, works great! maybe just do something for a better reflector

Thank You all for the feedback, Rc you're probably right on with the 100 w instead of the 150 that I said, I was on a different mission at the time. Since the 10,050 matched up I gotta think my #'s were off. It looked good, I kinda liked the rippled lookin' lens. My setup is a 5 light chandalier thang I got at a yardsale, I took it apart and rewired it upside down and removed a little glass fancy extension thing off to reduce overall length, it's got three 6500k and two 2700k cfls. I gotta get some picture takin/loadin/postin learnins.:smokin:

Thank You all for the feedback, Rc you're probably right on with the 100 w instead of the 150 that I said, I was on a different mission at the time. Since the 10,050 matched up I gotta think my #'s were off. It looked good, I kinda liked the rippled lookin' lens. My setup is a 5 light chandalier thang I got at a yardsale, I took it apart and rewired it upside down and removed a little glass fancy extension thing off to reduce overall length, it's got three 6500k and two 2700k cfls. I gotta get some picture takin/loadin/postin learnins.:smokin:

i didnt put my light difuser/plastic lense part. the inside of the reflecor is white too, but small on the inside and the white plastic seems to let a small amount of light through, thats why i mentioned something with a better reflector

today at HD i saw another CFL that fits into a normal light socket, the box says "300w equivelant" i think it uses 65w and puts out 2700 lumens, but its a soft white for flowering. it was 15$ one of those would fit nice in a 10" clamplight reflector

Hey all, this is my first post as a new member, also this is only my 2nd successful grow.
I use a 125W CFL and have had no problems whatsoever. Mine is a dual Spectrum (red/blue) bulb.
I need a little help though, i'm not entirely sure when the best time is to harvest for optimum buddage. i've put a couple of pics in my members gallery to help as i'm not to sure on how to get them in to my post. She's been flowering for 7.5 weeks and is 7 days into flushing. She smells sweet and musky.
Any help and advice would be most gratefully received.

Lets exercise our God given right to shamanize and self medicate,
Peace

You wanna harvest when most of the white hairs on your buds have turned colors from white to a dark red or brown.

Another way to tell is through the resin glands. If u get a small magnifying glass and look at the outside of the buds you'll see the trichomes. You'll see a resin gland and a stalk, the glands are usually white or clear in color. You wanna harvest once these turn a light color, kinda like an amber, you dont want them to turn too dark cause that means the THC has started to degrade. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom