CFL Light Tutorial

very usefull information roseman thanks alot and please keep use posted and updated i want to follow your grows i am also intrested in CFLs but am not doing hydro at the moment im sicking with soil

Hey all, i cannot grow atm, but when i can, I don't want to hafta wire together a big heavy cfl chandeleer again.(did once before) Durring my last trip to home depot, I noticed that there are 6 bulb "bathroom bar" fixtures only 36" long for $20. Each socket is designed to hold up to 100 watts. I know that 1000bulbs.com offers an 105 watt cfl. I think it would be fine.

CFL setup with 150HPS.... or a complete tent system?

Hi, I love this thread!!

Sorry this is so long. It seems the more details the better people can help me and possibly other people in the future. :yummy:

I'm a newbie and my first grow is finishing up in my back yard. I'd like to get set up inside and already have a veggie space going temporarily. I live in CA and the heat both outside and in is a problem. I started my questions on my own thread, but someone have me this thread which is a lot better place to get help!

I'm considering buying one of those flowering tents that has everything in it ready to go. DIY seems to be less money up front, but extremely difficult for a home bound disabled person. My plan was to start simple and add on. However, this might mean screw ups and having to buy things twice as I upgrade. I can't make any changes to this rental house and don't plan on living here long. Venting the heat in the summer is a huge concern, thus why I grew outside first.

I could really use some solid advice, whether your a newbie who has gone through this recently, of a pro that has tried all sorts of thing. I don't want to spend another dime until I figure this out.

-No stealth needed beyond oder control and not having light shinng outside.
- I have a storage bedroom with a 32"x 24" x 60" space in an open closet in mind for the flowering area (see photo), or an open space in the bedroom with no reflective white or sides. The other room has this same space but set into the closet with one wall open. I could barely keep this space below 80 with just T-5s!
-This is A rental house I plan (hope) to leave in a few months, so no changes to the actual house.
-The absolute lowest amount of MJ I need per month is 1/2 ounce. 1 Ounce per month would be better, or somewhere in between, split up into 3 or 4 grows. The higher amount would be to replace heavy narcotics
- I'm growing mostly from quality seeds and have 5 strains of them, mostly Indica. A few clones might be nice too.
- I like the idea of a continuous harvest and rotation of plants from the veg room to the flower room, if possible. I also consider to leave the 4 2' T-5s in one room and the 150W HPS in the other, then move the CFLS to where they are needed.

Here's the products I have already:

-I have 2 4' T-5s for vegging. The summer heat made even this much difficult to keep cool!
-I have a partial home made reflector with 8 CFLS (see pic), 250Watts of them, four 2700 and four 6500. The Two extra 5000s in those cheap shop reflectors are on each side. I'll finish the top with foil or metallic bubble wrap type insulation, I hope.
-I also have a 150W HPS which is unopened, but too late to return.
- I have a seed matt and various pots and trays, including cloth pots in 3 sizes plus Miracle grow tomato food, pro bloom "soil" (a mistake), Super Thrive, and Root juice. All bug sprays are used up.
- both rooms have ceiling fans, portable fans of various sizes, and windows to open if it's cool out, like now
- I have a portable stand with 4 wire shelves and a clear plastic cover that zips up. The bottom part is open to the floor
- I have storage cabinate in the garage that can be used as a grow cab, but it's hard to move around and very very hot in the summer.

1) How many flowering plants can I grow with 250W of CFLs and 150W HPS is my flower room?
2) how much area can I cover with these mixed lights?
3) are these enough lights for a grow or do I need more?
4) is so small a grow area with few plants going to smell up the house and filter outside?
5) If I continue to make my DIY set up, I plan on using soil. I can move to HydroP later on if need be.

So, I can either work with what I have or buy a pre-made set up tent with all the bells and whistles. I hate wasting money, but can afford this with my magic plastic card. LOL

Here's the pros and cons, as I see them (feel free to add on!)
Pre made tent set up:
Pros:
a) one time start up fee
b) easy and quick to set up and start up
c) less likely for me to buy the wrong things or make a huge mess
d) stealth and odor are taken care of
e) can use with soil or hydro
f) one stop shopping
g) easily portable
h) can buy only the flower room tent, which is all I need. T5s and CFLS can still be used for veggy room
i) can move to cooler spots, leave window open, or leave door to room open with no light escaping
j) easier to keep bugs and cat hair out of. My outdoor buds have hair stuck to the buds
h) safer, less room for human error in the wiring and water
i) if I move to a non MJ state, this is easy to conceal
j) decision is done, no shopping for pieces and parts, no more worries
k) I can use the rest of the bedroom whenever I want and for whatever without worrying about messing up the flower light cycle

Cons:
a) price, how much $$ for all the bells and whistles?
b) have to sell my 150HPS, might not be useful anyway
c) still have to keep this thing cool! How?
d) might only be available with HPS when CFLS might be a better option

Here's the pros and cons for using what I already have:
Pros:
1) possibly no more lights to buy if CFLs and HPS are enough
2) save money buying one thing at a time and upgrading as needed
3) might be easier to cool since the space can be in an open room
4) already have some white reflective materia
5) already have the shelves in veggy room and table in closet for possible flowering
6) keep veggy area in another room

Cons:
1) stealth, there is none. Mother in law will have a heart attack
2) open windows to cool mean lights show outside (already are in veggy room)
3) odor control impossible to house or outside with only a air filter and ONA
4) bugs can fly in and will be harder to kill off
5) a mess... water run off, dirt etc is harder to control
6) The cost might be more in the long run as I upgrade things or make mistakes (like the 150W HPS)
7) difficult to set up, impossible to alter the rental house for vents and stealth
8) clear plastic cover for the helves would trap too much heat and let the light out, Useless

So folks, what do all of you suggest? I'm open to anything at this point! The more ideas, the better. Include pics and links if you can, especially where to buy set ups or individual items.

I have 1 plant outside that is just starting to bloom and 2 I've already brought in. I have to bring them in before frost, bugs or no bugs. I can bug balm the room when they are done. I have to buy what I need for flowering in the next week!

Are there tent systems with CFLS or some cooler light? Is it easier to control the heat from an HPS in a tent set up because doors and windows can be left open? Right now, my plants are loving the CFLs and T5s in the veggy room. :))

If I'm posting in the wrong forum, please let me know. The decision on CFLs with 150W HPS and heat control with or without a tent are the most important factors in my decision!

Give me some opinions on what your choice would be and why. If you think I can get by with me CFLs and 150W HPS and put off this decision for another time, let me know! I HATE decisions. :)) I'd alos love some opinions about my first outdoor grow. The pics are in my gallery!

Here's my photos of grow room items:

The veggy area
veggy_area_side.jpg

Here's my shelves. I don't use the clear cover for them as it has no vents:
shelves_for_grow_area.jpg

Here's my potential flower area in a different room and closet than the veggy area. That's my 150W HPS I bought before I knew what I was doing (Not that I still know what I'm doing)
future_flower_area.jpg

Here's my unfinished CFL reflector, mixed spectrum. For now I put foil above it and set plants in between the lights. Below are the plants i brought in from outside:
cfl_homemade_fixture.jpg

This is a veggy area view with the T5s and CFLs on. There not much in there but 3 very sad looking seedlings with no roots and yellow leaves:
veggy_room_2.jpg

TY for the help!

Those "bathroom bar" fixtures look good, but I'd still cobble up some kind of reflector to increase the efficiency.

lol "cobble"....as i have two of the 3 socket bathroom fixtures($3.00 a piece cha- ching yes!!!)...I'm cobbling over the idea of how to come up with a reflector for them. I almost scraped the idea and went with the dryer vent,semi circled plywood, and 2x4 reflector I've seen on the site a few times in the DIY forum. But, I've already made alterations to said parts and will just have to figured it out. I'll just call on our beloved plant to assist with some ingenuity.

*Keep it Green & Keep it Smoking*

I'm just a figment of your imagination that on occasion, happens to manifest itself through your actions.

I'll just call on our beloved plant to assist with some ingenuity.

Such a true statement there at the end Cannabis is the only plant that helps you figure out ways to not only grow it but also smoke it that is how you know its a gift from god cause there is nothing else in the world that can fill you with divine inspiration as quickly as fine Bud can .

That is a cool lighting and grow set up Lusi. I plan to use something very similar on my next grow.

If I were you I would put some white foamcore (Sold at Walmart in 22x36 panels for $2) on the sides and bottoms. The keys with CFLs is to get the lights as close to the plants as possible and to reflect as much light back in as possible. You would be amazed with how much white foam core (any flat white boards would work, but foamcore is easy to cut and fix to things with as little as duct tape) will add in light and vigorous growth. Foamcore is really easy to work with, cheap, easy to cut to install a fan, and it is very reflective. That is what a lot of professional photographers use to reflect light back into a subject.

Hi GD!

TY for the foam core info. I needed some of this anyway for a new photo box,never thought of using it for this! Much easier than the white plastic I bought, which tape doesn't stick to.

I've caved in and am ordering a tent for flowering. I plugged in my 150W HPS and the 250W of mixed CFLS to see how they lit up two medium flowering plants I brought inside and one almost ready to harvest plant that I had ot bathe for mites. I was cold and rainy out, so I left this one inside for the night.

The 150W HPS is just useless!! The tent will have room for a 3x3 grow area, a bit more since I'm using soil. The tent is 3'11"x3'11"x6'7"

Here are links to my other posts searching for help on lights and spaces:

LED options:
LED in the VipersNest

Shopping list to go with the Tent: (need nute and bug help)
Help! figuring out what lights I need!

the tent:
Newbie help! Ready to buy these things, but better ask first to avoid wasting more $

original lights options:
Help! figuring out what lights I need!

Here are the pics of the 150W HPS, ust a quick set up to keep the cats out of the plants while I test the lights and get my buds out of the rain and bugs.
These are the same set of shelves that you see earlier in this post. I've removed all but the top and bottom, then set in the HPS and CFLs around the 3 flowering plants. Not enough for 3! There is a smudgy plasitic cover, with broken door which I covered with a screen and set a box fan near to get the air moving and cool. Temp70deg with all lights on.
2 pics of just the HPS on and the last with all. I put the larger plant outside and will use this with the last 2. I'll deal with reflecting this when I get it back in the bedroom. LOL
I think this will end up being my vegging area. Is this the wrong spectrum of light for vegging? The CFLs are half 2700 and half 6500. Phew!

What is the best use for these lights, I also have 2 4' curved T-5s. I'm now debating on LEDs, 400WHPS, or 600W HPS for that tent. This is all confusing the hell out me!

150W_HPS_sad_yellow_light.jpg

1150W_HPS_direct.jpg

HPS_250W_CFLs.jpg

I was invited here to show a cfl light fixture I made a few weeks ago. I can't take credit for the idea, Matagrowa developed the idea, I just copied his work. Thanks again Mata for the inspiration.

My task was to construct a fixture for holding (8) 55w cfl's that are to be used in my veg. closet.

The most important part of my visit to the hardware store was finding what sockets they carried. My store had sockets that were wrapped in rubber, I didn't need the rubber, but it made for a nice fit. These sockets fit into the 1 1/4" pvc best. Matagrowa used 1" pvc because that's what his sockets fit into, but he did use a little electrical tape to snug up the socket's fit in the pvc. I'm happy with the 1 1/4" because it gave me more room to cram all the wires into.

I used the lamp cord due to it's flexibility. Mata used romex, a very hard, stiff wire that would be difficult to manipulate into the T's. Lamp cord is much more flexible making it much easier to work with.

By the way, those yoyo's that I'm hanging the fixture with is great! They are spring loaded so you just tighten the wing nuts to set the drag and you can hold a fixture that's up to about 22 lbs. if I remember correctly. I just lift the fixture to work on the plants, and pull it back down when I'm done.

The parts list:

(2) 4' pieces of 1 1/4" pvc
(8) 1 1/4" pvc t's
(4) 1 1/4" pvc L's
(8) lamp sockets
20' of 16/3 lamp chord
wire nuts
electrical tape
(4) #8 x 1/2" pan head screws
(1) 24" section of galvanized vent pipe
~4' chain
(4) 8" zip ties
(1) can of flat white spray paint

A couple of pics of the finished fixture:

IMG_15762.jpg

IMG_15772.jpg

--------------...could I pay you to build one of these for me?

this is my first time i grow and it is a very poor mans grow and i just want to be sure i bought the right bulbs. im doing it in my closet, its about 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 and about 5 ft tall. i bought 2 cfl bulbs each one is a 120 volt "equivalent", has 3500 kelvins each so that adds to 7000, and 2100 lumens each which adds to 4200. i just want to make sure this is ok for the beginning and veg cycle before i plant so i can return them if thats not right. peace toke and love :peace:

this is my first time i grow and it is a very poor mans grow and i just want to be sure i bought the right bulbs. im doing it in my closet, its about 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 and about 5 ft tall. i bought 2 cfl bulbs each one is a 120 volt "equivalent", has 3500 kelvins each so that adds to 7000, and 2100 lumens each which adds to 4200. i just want to make sure this is ok for the beginning and veg cycle before i plant so i can return them if thats not right. peace toke and love :peace:

Wow, did you read this thread?

Your bulb is Probably 100 watt equivalent, and if you are in the USA it is most probably 120v volts.

Can you grow weed with those two bulbs? Yeah, probably. Read the whole thread, or at least the first couple of pages. It is a great tutorial and anything I say would probably be a repeat. We are here to help you and want you to grow but you need to do a little research on your own, or maybe even start a new thread asking for help. In my last grow I had about 30 bulbs like you just described. Too many variables to answer your question directly.

Can you grow weed with those two bulbs? Yeah, probably. Read the whole thread, or at least the first couple of pages. It is a great tutorial and anything I say would probably be a repeat. We are here to help you and want you to grow but you need to do a little research on your own, or maybe even start a new thread asking for help. In my last grow I had about 30 bulbs like you just described. Too many variables to answer your question directly.

G D o g is right. Every question I've asked I've found my own answers too. I've got only 11 posts, been here just a couple days and my entire plan for my grow box has changed.

Being here and doing a little research...well a lot of research..will increase your chances of success AND save you time and money. The information here is so good it's crazy!

:peace:

Now I need to get f r y i n g p a n to build me one of those slick pvc fixtures! I found my stealth box yesterday at home depot in the kitchen cabinet section..totally stealth! Will work perfectly! I'm building away!

There are lots of good DIY videos on youtube for making your own CFL fixtures.

It's a lot easier with video guidance.

That is good to know! Thanks for the input. I'm not electrically handy but totally see the need for creating a custom fixture to fit the box I'm building.

I'm going to have to jump off that cliff and build it. It must not be that hard if some many are doing it. Can't believe they are ALL electricians! lol

Thanks again!
:thanks:

Wow, did you read this thread?

Your bulb is Probably 100 watt equivalent, and if you are in the USA it is most probably 120v volts.

G D o g is right. Every question I've asked I've found my own answers too. I've got only 11 posts, been here just a couple days and my entire plan for my grow box has changed.

Being here and doing a little research...well a lot of research..will increase your chances of success AND save you time and money. The information here is so good it's crazy!

yes i did read this thread.... i read the first 7 pages i think it was and skimmed through abunch of others and i know which bulbs i needed, i did the math and know what wattage i want and that i need at least 7000 lumens for my space. but its just when i went to home depot to buy the bulbs, the bulbs i mentioned in my previous post were the best they had at the time for veg cycle (highest wattage, kelvins, and lumens) and i just wanted to see if it was possible to start my grow with those ones since i know they didnt have much power to them because its only my one plant. ive been doing my research on this site and 14 others for hours everyday for maybe almost a month so i have been doing my research... i already do have threads asking for help, if you clicked my name youd see but i figured since this thread was meant to help and called "CFL light tutorial" why not ask here too... i have all the info i need and my setup is fine my only question was on those bulbs because i have such a little space for my one plant and can only fit MAYBE 4 bulbs the most, 3 comfotably. i cant afford 30 bulbs. hence why i said above a "very poor mans grow". i know im a noob and not as experienced as most of the people on this site but next response, a littttle less tude would be appreciated.

thanks everyone for all the other tips and tricks ive found in this thread your all doing great! :nicethread: :bravo:

When someone comes into an ongoing thread that has all the information that you need, asks information that is contained in the thread, then mixes up the terms, it is common to assume they did not read the thread. Sorry if I come off with "Tude".

Kelvin is the Temperature of the bulb. You do not add that. It is a number that corresponds to a wave length and we call it a color. You Do Not add the Kelvins up.

Lumens are another story, and that should be on the bulbs you bought also. You can add up lumens, but that is relative to the distance. Radiation falls out by the square root of the distance.

inverse square law

You did not buy 120 volt equivalent, you bought a 120 volt bulb. If anything you got 100 Watt equivalent. Watts are the product of volts x amps and is a unit of the power you use. In CFLs it is common for them to post the wattage equivalent that you are can expect in lumens compared to a standard incandescent bulb.

The bulbs I buy at the large discount store are 23 actual watts, but supposed to make as many lumens as an incandescent bulb of 100 watts. The color temperature of those are 2700, and although that is the color (wave length) that is said to be best for flowering, I have used them for vegging and flowering with good success.

Kelvin Color Temperatures
colortemp.jpg

:headbanger:it is ok not your fault i probably just misunderstood you too and ontop of that i was having a bad day and took it out on whoever so i apologize. its also just i read the beginning of the thread and understood it but then i also asked somebody else and got a different answer something not right saying i could add them up and didnt believe it so i wanted to be sure. but i went back to home depot tonight and bought 4 bulbs new bulbs. each 100 watts, 5000 k's, and lets off 1750 lumens each so i think im good. but one of the fuckers broke so im gonna start it tonight anyways and get another tomorrow. and yea when i said volts i meant watts i was pretty high and mixed it up, did the same thing in one of my own threads haha.

thanks for the help g-dog appreciate it :headbanger:

There are lots of good DIY videos on youtube for making your own CFL fixtures.

It's a lot easier with video guidance.

Boy if you had some links that would be great! The only part about wiring multiple sockets to one plug, as he has it here, for me is not knowing how to wire.

There really isn't that much clear info on this topic online..so far as I've found. I would love to get a clearer picture on how to wire all 8 or 10 sockets into one plug inside of the pvc. (if that's safe)

Back
Top Bottom