CFL Light Tutorial

Just a heads up. I was in Costco yesterday and they're selling 4 bulb packs of the 23W 2700K bulbs for something like $4.86. For those of you on a budget who have a Costco membership, that's a great deal.

Just buy some Y splitters and one clamp light and you can make an eight bulb spiral. I've done it. It works well.

Roseman, how do you feel about 2-3 23w cfls in a pc case that is barely 2sq ft?(may possibly be only 1 if that!) I can only mount 3 into a surge protector at any time. All three are "daylight" 6500k for the veg period and will switch to "soft white" 2700k for the flowering period.

If you get a Y splitter you can fit six bulbs..All 6 bulbs should give you aprox 9,000 lumes..I got three power pads all with 6 bulbs 9,000 lume set up..And you can get the 9'' 300w bulb and 2 of them eill fit on the end y split givin you a total of aprox 13,000 lumes on one strip....Just waiting to pull the one in the yard before i get started..

Hey Setting Sun,

You're everywhere! I followed/following your LED (fantastic) journals because that was the direction I was planning. I just went through all 51 pages here and am thinking I'll start w/ CFL's.

I have a 4'x2'x5' grow tent. 3 x 14 gal lexans that will fit perfectly. Each will hold 3 plants in a triangle pattern. Works out to close to 1sqft/plant. I was planning on building 3 light fixtures for above the plants each having 7 x 42w bulbs. I figure this will give me flexibility to accommodate different strains grown at the same time. (won't do this on first grow to keep things a bit more simple). I then intend to have 7 x 42w spiral CFL's placed under the canopy.

In veg, (light fixtures above canopy) 5 will be blue spectrum and 2 will be red spectrum. In flowering, it will be 5 red spectrum and 2 blue spectrum. Including all lights I estimate: 74,900 lumen = 9362L/sqft; 147w/sqft.

I estimate this will require a total of 37 x 42w bulbs. During veg: (light fixtures above canopy) 15 blue spectrum + 6 red spectrum. None needed under the canopy as I don't expect much of a canopy at this stage. During flowering: 15 red + 6 blue in the above light fixtures & 7 red under the canopy. Total Blue: 15, Total Red: 22; Total bulbs 37.

This probably comes in at the high end of necessary watts/lumens but given all the discussion about deterioration of the bulbs, I figure perhaps I can get a bit more grow cycles out of the same bulbs.

So, the big question is whether to go w/ spirals or floods in the light fixtures above the canopy. I'm really interested in what your light tests will produce. Plus I'm guessing the floods would require less assembly, no reflective hood and therefore fewer impediments to rising/venting heat out the top of the grow tent. (a lot of planning/reading lol)

Any chance you'll get the results posted anytime soon?

Also, what do you think of the plan? :)

All opinions much welcomed!

Regards,

Can anyone help? It doesn't appear that the local home depot or lowe's sell these.....

Where's the cheapest place to purchase 42w CFL's 5000k & 2700k?

Any feedback on brands to avoid or favor?

I saw someone recommend 1000bulb.com. I found the 2700k for $2.96/bulb but the 6500k are $10.79 ea. They don't have the 5000k. Anyone know of better pricing?

Thanks!

Hey Pacard,

Home Depot has the 42 watt 2700k spiral CFLs. I buy them there all the time. Don't know about the 5000k but they have them in the 4000k range.

You're really just worrying about minute differences in light between the two types. I'm on my 4th grow with spiral CFLs and they work great. If you want the full spectrum go to Home Depot and pick up the bulbs. They do have them all.

Sound like you have paralysis by analysis. That's why nobody's really answering. You gotta jump in the pool. You'll figure it out in no time.

Bravo!! Bravo!! I really appreciate this informative material! It has completely changed my views on lighting. I am in the deep planning stages for my first real indoor hydroponic grow, and this has me reconsidering things. I had planned on purchasing an all in one hydro stealth pc tower or mini file cabinet. But I don't like the fact that they only come with either a 75w hps bulb/ballast or the other one comes with a 200w fluorescent. I would like to maximize my lumens and have the correct spectrum used through vege and flowering stages, but I would loose that option with the machines I'm thinking about. But I have to consider my space in an apt in the states in a not so cannabis friendly environment:) if you know what I mean. I like your DIY 5 gal ozonator idea if I go another route. Any feedback would be fantastic from you and others with an idea for me. Thanks a lot for all the knowledge and direction!

If you get a Y splitter you can fit six bulbs..All 6 bulbs should give you aprox 9,000 lumes..I got three power pads all with 6 bulbs 9,000 lume set up..And you can get the 9'' 300w bulb and 2 of them eill fit on the end y split givin you a total of aprox 13,000 lumes on one strip....Just waiting to pull the one in the yard before i get started..

Hello Standup, thanks for the reply. Yeah i have a few "y" splitters as i can get 3 bulbs max out of my spacial contraints,temp,economics, and a few other dynamics will allow. This is just my trial run before i go larger. So, i am only starting with 1 plant maybe 2 just to better my chances of getting a female
that 1 plant i will grow meticulously. Then i will upgrade to a larger space.

Hi zzoomm,

Actually I've been told that before, but in this case, I'm moving ahead. :cheer:Just giving it good thought. Buying them at HD was about $9/bulb and they were the only ones that stocked 42w's(and it was only the 2700k's). I did a little more searching at 1000bulbs.com. Bought everything I needed. However the 42w 6400k's were 2-3x as expensive as the 30w 6400k's. So, cut my bulb cost by at least 50%. Bought just about everything tonight to rig up my lights. Should have seen the home depot guy when I told him I was mounting lights to PVC. Hysterical. Decided to just pass on the cfl floods since I found the spirals so cheap!

Set up the tent today and put it on a wheeled platform in the event I need to move it :)

Got to pick some strains, get the seeds and get to growin'. Can't wait!

Thanks for the input.

peace

I certainly will appreciate ANYONE answering this question for me, but I would really like to hear Roseman's opinion on it as well. Ok..I am gathering all of what I need to do small closet grow. I get nearly all of the stuff at Home Depot. But, as far as the CFL lights go. I found the 2700K bulbs for flowering, but I can only get 5000K for Veg. They have no 6500K. Is the 5000K good enough? They are 27W and put out 1,750 lumens each, and they're cheap, so I really want to use them. :)

I *love* microgrows CaneyeBus.

Congrats on your decision to grow your own ;).

Thanks SS. you cfl light tutorial and doc's hempy experience has done it for me. I Had to end my first attempt just 4 days ago as i transplanted way too early and had too many oc+ nutes in the mini hempy to begin with. I just did waaayy too much to my plant at an early age. Too excited to see all the growth from just barely doing anything. So lesson learned when simple is working: LEAVE IT BE!. I have 3 restarted 1 plant has popped but 1 of the cotys' tips is burnt and so is 1 of the true leaves' tip.(maybe light burn as i have moved the cfls about 2 inches away. I have the other two ion mini hempy's 1 with no oc+ in it at all and 1 with oc+ in it about a half inch above the hole with the perlite. Also i've noticed the prills will wash down into the bottom of the mini hempy's from watering i take it. I will only top dress ther full perlite hempy that has just enuff organic pottign soil at the top to keep algea away. I also have i mini hempy with doc's recommended 50/perlite- 50/perlite50/soil miz in it. Wish me luck!

Setting Sun,

I know the info is here some where. and i hate to ask. But this weekend i am building my own cabinet. i will no longer need to use my dresser for stealth as i have da "approval" from "management" hehe:wood:. My cabinet will be 4ftx4ftx2ft. any suggestions on how many cfls i'll need to maximize this space? either 23/26 watt or the 42 watters. currently i have 23 watt cfl = 100 incandecent these cfl have 1600 lumens both 6500k and 2700k. Thanks in advance. Grow Love Shape of .........Big Colas!

Back
Top Bottom