CFL Light Tutorial

Let me share something I saw here this week.

A grower had a 4 by 4 sq ft grow space, = 16 sq ft.

He needed a bare minimum of 3000 lumens per sq ft, to a max of 10,000 per sq ft, and 6000 or 7000 lumens per sq ft would be PERFECT, ample and ideal enough.

At bare minimum of 3000 lumens per sq ft, (less than half what the sun gives) he needed at least 48,000 lumens total. AT LEAST, BARE MINIMUM.

With CFLs, at 70 lumens per watt, he needed AT LEAST A BARE MINIMUM of 685 watts. He was growing with ten 26 watt bulbs, or 260 watts, much less than half of the bare minimum needed.

Let me repeat, he had 10 bulbs, (sounds like a lot) but he really had less than half the bare minimum needed. His ten bulbs were pretty in a DIY Reflector fixture and they looked like a lot of light, although they were much less than needed.
His plants were growing too, and were ten inches tall, after 3 weeks of VEgging in Hydro. They were ten inches tall, yea, but they were very, very stretched, looking for additional light. AND, they were not lush looking, they were very yellowed, leaves all twisted and curled and they were seriously nute burned. He could not understand why he had nute burn. He was following the directions perfectly on his nutes, was at a 550 - 600 ppm, but those directions were for someone with adeguate light.

WITHOUT ADEQUATE LIGHT, YOU HAVE TO REDUCE THE PPM AND AMOUNT OF NUTRIENTS FED TO THE PLANTS OR YOU WILL GET NUTE BURN.
Most instructions for feedings rely on you having adequate light!

AGAIN, WITHOUT ADEQUATE LIGHT, YOU HAVE TO REDUCE THE PPM AND AMOUNT OF NUTRIENTS FED TO THE PLANTS OR YOU WILL GET NUTE BURN.

28" times 42" = 1176 sq inches or 8 sq ft of grow space.

8 X 55 watts = 440 watts total that you have now or 440 X 70 = 30,800 lumens is what you have. And we know that your garden and harvest was very healthy too, telling us you had enough lumens and watts.

When we put it to the math equation,
Your 8 sq ft needed a minimum of 3000 lumens per sq ft, = 24,000
or a max of 10,000 lumens per sq ft = 80,000

so your 30,800 was very well above the minimum and close to half of the maximum.

No one ever uses the Maximum 10,000 equivalent to the sun, so I 'd say your lumens and watts are very close to ideal. And the proof is in your grow, which was beautiful.

To underscore Roseman's calcs, here are two pictures I took of my plants 8 days apart. I started the grow with 5 clones in the res, 3 nl and 2 sd, I needed to get the sd out of the res for flower. The first was the day I moved them out, it included a lot of cutting and chopping the roots to separate the herd, so they are kind of droopy. The second pic is this morning, 8 days and 8" growth later and they are growing out of my veg closet already! I'd say this quantity of lighting is adequate for this closet! My problem is the closet isn't adequate for my grow! I need more room.

2-10-10
IMG_17061.jpg

2-18-10
IMG_17641.jpg

This is sweet. Just switched my clone box to CFL's. Working fantastic so far.

Thanks to all, especially Roseman. You've helped to light up my life...no apologies to Debbie Boone are necessary. I think I'm getting it now whereas I was 'in the dark' prior to this informative thread. :thumb:

...old enough. I'm 50 going on 19. Actually, (pull out the sad violin music) I broke up with my high school girlfriend after we watched the movie: You Light Up My Life...which was really, really bad. She was seeing me and cheating on me with another guy from college. We both realized it was time to grow up and move on. I met my wife about a year later and we've been together - for better or worse - ever since. We got married in 1984. Happily ever after?

]My slightly revised rendition of the PVC chandlier. Used threaded rod and some nuts to fix the width, this will allow for easy adjustment of the width should I ever have to. Eleven 26W CFL's, three are 2700K, and eight are 6500K. 18,700 lumens at the source.

If this were a construction job site......you'd be on my crew. I have to keep a close eye on you....but just the same....

I like how you run your liqueur store.

Rmember.....give a man a fish and he will be hungry in a day. Show that man how to fish...and he will buy a boat and become an alcoholic.

How y'all like them apples?

Off to "hempcon" this weekend at the LA convention center......but we don't smoke hemp.

]My slightly revised rendition of the PVC chandlier. Used threaded rod and some nuts to fix the width, this will allow for easy adjustment of the width should I ever have to. Eleven 26W CFL's, three are 2700K, and eight are 6500K. 18,700 lumens at the source.

If this were a construction job site......you'd be on my crew. I have to keep a close eye on you....but just the same....

I like how you run your liqueur store.

Rmember.....give a man a fish and he will be hungry in a day. Show that man how to fish...and he will buy a boat and become an alcoholic.

How y'all like them apples?

Off to "hempcon" this weekend at the LA convention center......but we don't smoke hemp.

Thats funny now! Very Funny!

I have the stuff for the reflector but have been unable to complete it as my gf had a migraine for the last three days. Forgot to mention that but thanks for the heads up and compliments :) I did start to cut it out just a few moments ago, need to paint it, then mount it. But it'll be a few hours though as she is napping trying to catch up on sleep. I'll post pics when it's finished.

origamijoint, I'd give you +reps for that line but it won't let me...I didn't catch it last night but it's hilarious!

White on the reflector underside? Is that better reflection than leaving a metal hood polished?

Yeah...I'm a bit curious too, I was mostly just following what Roseman had posted back on page two that another person made. They painted theirs white so I figured I'd give it a shot as I don't know how well the galvanized metal reflects. Just judging by looks I'd say the white is reflecting better but I know looks aren't everything. I can always just flip the hood over as it is still uncoated metal on the top...which brings me to another question I had.

While I was at the hardware store I saw a can of spray paint by Rustoleum that was a reflective formula. It sprays on a semi-transparent finish that is designed to help reflect headlights and such for higher visibility like on mail boxes, metal posts, etc. Has anyone used this before? Think it would help increase the reflection intensity of the lights to boost the amount actually getting to the leaves? It wasn't cheap....somewhere around $7 for a can but it might be worth it. I just want to get some extra input before I spend the money. I'm going to make a dedicated thread asking about it but if anyone here has a comment about it please post.

RustOleum.com

I can't say for sure about the paint but if it is semi transparent, it probably just increases the glossiness. I have read that satin or semi gloss reflects best. That doesn't really answer your question but I will be watching to see what the pros have to say. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom