CFL Light Tutorial

sweet!

One thing you guys might want to consider if you haven't done so is to drill a few holes so the heat can escape.

Trapping all that heat in there will decrease your bulb life at the least, and may pose a safety issue if it gets hot enough.

DOH, Homer Simpson would say. Why didn't I think of that?
Thats the best NEW IDEA I've heard in a very long time. It just never dawned on me. I guess this old dog can still learn a new trick!

Buying CFL Lights

FYI...Last month by accident, I found 65 and 85 watt bulbs at BIGLOTS, $8.50 ea. and they had alot of them, they even had some 105s in tube type for $14.50. Might want to look if you have one around you.

one quick dumb question, at BIGLOTS they also had the higher watt bulbs(over 105w), but they all had a diffuser covering the element(looks like a regular frosty glass bulb surrounding the spiral element). I assume these arent good for growing?

Re: Buying CFL Lights

FYI...Last month by accident, I found 65 and 85 watt bulbs at BIGLOTS, $8.50 ea. and they had alot of them, they even had some 105s in tube type for $14.50. Might want to look if you have one around you.

I will go look tomorrow! That is amazingly VERY cheap.

Thank you MrSmithster, and Welcome to 420. Glad you are here and I hope you stick around and we become friends and grow-brothers.

The strange looking ones are called PAR38 type, but I was mistaken, they are only 100 watt converted. They are so large i just assumed the wattage was real. Sorry. I went back and all the higher watt spring looking bulbs were gone, but they did still have some 40 and a few 55 watt ones. Im in So Cal, so many I can throw a stone in any direction and damn near hit a Biglots, Ill check out some others and let you know.

sweet!

One thing you guys might want to consider if you haven't done so is to drill a few holes so the heat can escape.

Trapping all that heat in there will decrease your bulb life at the least, and may pose a safety issue if it gets hot enough.

Got a little information. The material you are using is called "schedule 40 PVC pipe" THE MAXIMUM SERVICE TEMPERATURE FOR PVC IS 140°F. But remember that is pressurized pipe. And the outfits that I look at here are mostly made with the fittings (fittings being generic for the t's, 90's, couplings, and even several 45's I spy.) Will look more into it tomorrow.

I am exhausted. Had a pump go down on my ebb and flow table. Plants missed a few watering times today. Hooked up a new pump. Most look better. But there are three that are pretty well donions. So me go sleep now.

Great creations guys.....

The strange looking ones are called PAR38 type, but I was mistaken, they are only 100 watt converted. They are so large i just assumed the wattage was real. Sorry. I went back and all the higher watt spring looking bulbs were gone, but they did still have some 40 and a few 55 watt ones. Im in So Cal, so many I can throw a stone in any direction and damn near hit a Biglots, Ill check out some others and let you know.

Those are CFL floodlights with built-in reflectors.

The PAR40 are 23w and work nicely since the beam is focused.

They're usually more expensive, although Costco has 4-packs for around $10, which is the cheapest I've seen anywhere.

They're easy to position on top or around plants because you don't need a worklight reflector, just the bulb. Plain spiral CFL's without a reflector waste tons of light, but these don't.

I'm going to build a lightboard with them when I get some time and post the project in the DIY forum. Just drill some holes in a board, mount however many sockets you want or have room for, wire it all up on the top side, and bob's yer uncle. No reflector needed because each bulb already has one.

Roseman, Thanks for the tutorial. It's a good one.

I've been using 6 40watt tubes on top and 42 watt cfls around the sies and it works good for me. I'm thinking of going with the 42 watt cfls on the top like you showed.

I've got find something to make a reflector out of and do a little carpentry and electrical work and I'll be in business.

What I like about Compact cfls is they are cool not too hot.

My temp in the flowering area stays around 72 and all I have is a 3" vent that's passive. And I have 6 compact cfls in there along with the 4 foot tubes. And like you said, It's nice because you can move them around with the reflectors their plugged into.

Thanks again!

Roseman, Thanks for the tutorial. It's a good one.

I've been using 6 40watt tubes on top and 42 watt cfls around the sies and it works good for me. I'm thinking of going with the 42 watt cfls on the top like you showed.

I've got find something to make a reflector out of and do a little carpentry and electrical work and I'll be in business.

What I like about Compact cfls is they are cool not too hot.

My temp in the flowering area stays around 72 and all I have is a 3" vent that's passive. And I have 6 compact cfls in there along with the 4 foot tubes. And like you said, It's nice because you can move them around with the reflectors their plugged into.

Thanks again!

Yep, absolutely right! I guess I will always be a CFL man. I considered HIDs and the extra heat and expense of venting is too much for me.

I'm glad you are here with us, and I hope you hang around and I can see your journal.

hey everyone im new to site and prob a silly question as theirs prob posts about this but do ordinary cfl bulds work for veging and flowering of non auto flowering plants as ive never used cfl before its unkown territory for me!:thanks:

hey everyone im new to site and prob a silly question as theirs prob posts about this but do ordinary cfl bulds work for veging and flowering of non auto flowering plants as ive never used cfl before its unkown territory for me!:thanks:

Yes but you will need 2 different color temp bulbs for veg use the 5000k + rated bulbs and for flower use 2100-2700k bulbs just think of them as itsy bitsy mh and hps as they use the same color bulbs.

when you say 5000k you mean lumens? yeah and thanks a mill cause im just using the same for the auto flowering white russian but i have a few *** seeds and not too sure how to go about it as i kno i prob wont get a great yield but once i get something to smoke its ok ~ :)

The K rating is kelvins, it tells the spectrum of the light. If you go back to the beginning of this tutorial it explains in detail everything you need to know about lighting. Happy 420!! :peace:

when you say 5000k you mean lumens? yeah and thanks a mill cause im just using the same for the auto flowering white russian but i have a few *** seeds and not too sure how to go about it as i kno i prob wont get a great yield but once i get something to smoke its ok ~ :)

Oh sorry no k is the color temp of the bulb a flowering bulb will be 2100kelvin to 2700kelvin and for veg 5000k-6500k what I do when using cfls is during veg use a ratio of 3 - 1 veg bulbs to flower bulbs then reverse when you go to 12/12 and use 3 2100-2700k bulbs and 1 veg bulb the extra blue/white light in flower will help plants to ripen better and be a bit bigger

K = Kelvin, means color temp. High and Low, or Red and Blue Kelvins are both needed...called Dual Spectrum.

Welcome to 420 bro!

The first 3 pages of this thread will answer all of that!

Ill bite and answer that for ya what you will need is to purchase 2 types of cfl bulbs some with a color temperature of 5000 kelvin to 6500kelvin and some 2100kelvin to 2700kelvin bulbs the 5000k-6500k are for veg and the 2100-2700k are for flowering but use a ratio of 3 bulbs of one color to 1 bulb of the other temperature in each application so that you have a full spectrum of light so if you use 3 42w 6500k bulbs for veg addd one flowering bulb and vice versa in flower as the blue bulbs will speed up ripening and help produce denser nugs

what are the names of these adapters? went to home depot and walmart today looking for them but had no luck. i'm sure i just walked by them on accident or something though...

Plug_In_socket.jpg

2009_Grow_00122.jpg

edit: sorry, i realized theres 2 diff adapters in 2nd pic. very bottom one is an extender, looking for the name of the Y shaped adapter.

Back
Top Bottom