CFL Light Tutorial

I am not convinced the lumen chart provided (in relation to distance from bulb) is accurate.

I use a light meter to determine luminosity. 12 inches from the canopy a 600W HPS bulb (according to the meter) produces apx 5,000 lumens per sqft (adjust a wing spreader, new optilume 600W HPS bulbs) According to the chart above, A 600W HPS over a 3x3 space at 12 inches from the canopy should result in 10,000 lumens per sqft. As you can see, I am coming no where close. The light meter reads half of that.

Has anyone else hear used a light meter to measure the lumnens in thier garden? If so, has anyone achieved 5,000-10,000 lumens per square foot at the canopy - as confimed by a light meter? :smokin:

I am not convinced the lumen chart provided (in relation to distance from bulb) is accurate.

I use a light meter to determine luminosity. 12 inches from the canopy a 600W HPS bulb (according to the meter) produces apx 5,000 lumens per sqft (adjust a wing spreader, new optilume 600W HPS bulbs) According to the chart above, A 600W HPS over a 3x3 space at 12 inches from the canopy should result in 10,000 lumens per sqft. As you can see, I am coming no where close. The light meter reads half of that.

Has anyone else hear used a light meter to measure the lumnens in thier garden? If so, has anyone achieved 5,000-10,000 lumens per square foot at the canopy - as confimed by a light meter? :smokin:

Welcome to 420, bro, glad you are here.

That chart was 1, for HIDs, (this is the CFL Thread) and 2, it was submitted by a good Deep Water Culture friend (PurpDaddy) who wanted it posted, so we posted it. He copied and pasted it out of a Cervantes book. I tried to avoid much HID light info here, but a few chose to post info here anyway. I don't think it mentions or takes into account placement or lenght from bulb to plant. I am HID Light ignorant and I just don't know.

Maybe someone else will know, but not many HID users visit this CFL thread.

I hope you hang around and to see you often.

==========================
VELCRO to stick Stick Mylar on reflector
==============================

What is the velcro for? Stick it on reflector for what and if so in what position. I need a mental picture. I am not sure what you are trying to say.

Welcome to 420, bro, glad you are here.

That chart was 1, for HIDs, (this is the CFL Thread) and 2, it was submitted by a good Deep Water Culture friend (PurpDaddy) who wanted it posted, so we posted it. He copied and pasted it out of a Cervantes book. I tried to avoid much HID light info here, but a few chose to post info here anyway. I don't think it mentions or takes into account placement or lenght from bulb to plant. I am HID Light ignorant and I just don't know.

Maybe someone else will know, but not many HID users visit this CFL thread.

I hope you hang around and to see you often.

Maybe it would be a good idea to start a new thread for lighting in general. or maybe it would cause too much confusion. I personally like the tutorial threads better than the how to grow threads. It gives growers a chance to give their input and share their experiences. :peace:

Maybe it would be a good idea to start a new thread for lighting in general. or maybe it would cause too much confusion. I personally like the tutorial threads better than the how to grow threads. It gives growers a chance to give their input and share their experiences. :peace:

A High Intensity Discharge Light thread tutorial would be a great idea! I'd like to learn about them.

How many cfl's do you really need to completly flower 1 marijuana plant and get an *subjective, i know* acceptable harvest. Have you seen anyone harvest over 3 ounces using less than like, 6 or 7 cfl's?

==========================

What is the velcro for? Stick it on reflector for what and if so in what position. I need a mental picture. I am not sure what you are trying to say.

The velcro attaches to the shade and the mylar attached to the velcro.

I read it in the thread somewhere and thought "damn straight" lol with a 95% reflectivity.

This was for CFL's only im pretty sure like a HPS or MH would burn the Mylar?

Ive never seen Mylar yet so......

HID / CFL / HPS / MH / LED

Is that all? Quite a bit to put in 1 thread

Heya Roseman , Most knowledgeable of cfl guru's would love to get your input on something I am planning and tell me what you think.

I am planning on using 2 150w cfl's in a bright wing reflector that is 24" x 18" x 5" so it gives a nice footprint going to use the 2 to light a closet 2' deep x 5' long x 3 1/2' high.

What I have in mind is using them on a 24/0 cycle and will first use the space to root clones and once rooted will transfer them to 1/2gal pots the space will hold 20 pots total.

So what I am wondering is do you think using the lights just for veging my clones will the 2 150w bulbs produce fairly large plants after 2weeks at 24/0 at this point I will transfer them to a flowering room and under a 1000w HPS in 3gal pots but just not sure what to expect with the cfl's?

So seeing as you have used them so much thought I would see what you think of what Type of growth to see from rooted cuttings at 24/0 300 watts 6500k cfl which works out to 30w/sq'. Think they will be fairly large ?

OK:

In short form from what I've copied and pasted;

=======================================
KELVIN

"K = Kelvin, means color temp. High and Low, or Red and Blue Kelvins are both needed...called Dual Spectrum."

==================================
RELECTORS

The major weakness of CFLs is they do not penetrate deep into the foilage. But, I can put mine two inches near, and am well pleased with the tight condensed buds I get. I did see if the Reflectors reflected the light, as well as the mylar, tin foil, flat white and glossy white paint and mirrors. And YES, the reflectors did better than the white panels and not as well as the mirrors, tin foil and mylar.

Parabolic Reflectors = AWESOME

"NEED REFLECTORS = 50% of CFL lights goes UP"

If you're using spiral CFL's in a horizontal position without a reflector, *50%* of your light is illuminating your ceiling instead of your plants.

If you're using them vertically *above* the canopy, you're doing even worse, as they don't radiate much at all along that axis.

The escaped light in those situations is huge.

===============================

===================================
WATTS PER LUMENS
=================================

the 200w listed at 9250 lumens for a lumens/watt ratio of 9250/200=46.25

the 150w is listed at 7500 lumens for a l/w ratio of 7500/150=50

the 125w is listed at 6500 lumens for a l/w ratio of 6500/125=52

the 42w are listed for 2700 lumens, l/w ratio of 2700/42=64.28

some 26w give off 1700 lumens for a l/w ratio of 1700/26=65.38

some 13w that give off 825 lumens for a l/w ratio of 825/13=63.46

Another comparison =

~ = approximately
68W ~ 4200L **61.7 L/W**
42W ~ 2600L **61.9 L/W**
26W ~ 1700L **65.4 L/W**
23W ~ 1600L . **69.6 L/W**

270 watts (135 x 2) = 17550 lumens

300 watts of CFL = 10000 lumens = SUN

Need 3000 lumens per sq foot minimum to grow vege stage

LUMENS AT HEIGHT
================================

A 1000w hps puts out approx. 140,000 lumens at 1', but this falls off to 15,555 lumens at 3'.

A 400w hps puts out approx. 51,000 lumens at 1'.

So, placing a 400w 1' above the plant will put out more than 3 times the lumens that a 1000w will at 3'.

8 x T5 Flourcent Tubes = 40000 lumen
4 x " " 20000 Lumen
400HPS @ 1 foot = 40000 lumen
400 HPS @ 2 feet = 15000 lumen

600W (150 lumens per watt):
1' away: 90,000 Lumens
2' away: 22,500 Lumens
3' away: 9,999 Lumens
4' away: 6,428 Lumens

400W (125 lumens per watt):
1' away: 50,000 Lumens
2' away: 12,500 Lumens
3' away: 5,555 Lumens
4' away: 3,571 Lumens

A 1000w HPS will put out ~140,000 lumens at 1' away
A 1000w HPS will put out ~35,000 lumens at 2' away
A 600w HPS will put out ~90,000 lumens at 1' away
A 600w HPS will put out ~22,500 lumens at 2' away
A 400w HPS will put out ~50,000 lumens at 1' away
A 400w HPS will put out ~12,500 lumens at 2' away

We have to keep:

1000w HPS; ~3' above the tops, at 3' the 1000w put out 15,555 lumens.

600w HPS; ~2' above the tops, at 2' the 600w put out 22,500 lumens.

400w HPS; ~1' above the tops, at 1' the 400w put out 50,000 lumens.

Light intensity virtually doubles for every 6" closer an HID is to the canopy of a garden. I've singed a top twice by keeping my lamp real close, more like 6"-8" with the MH which is hotter than the HPS, I think this is a good strategy seeing as the plants have never seemed to mind getting a little hot, never hurt growth any. I always raise the light, but I never raise it more than 10" above the canopy.

Now the 400w can't cover the area the 1000w can, but for my money I'll buy the 400w and put more of them around for more, closer lighting and getting more lumens on those solar receptors we're feeding so diligently.

Determining lumens for your grow area:
==================================

First determine the square footage of your area (example in a 4 foot by 4 foot area, there is 16 square feet, 2 by 2 feet is 4 Sq ft. ) If you have a 1000 Watt High Pressure Sodium Light Bulb, that produces approximately 107,000 lumens. Divide this by 16 (your square footage) 107,000 divided by 16 = 6687 lumens per square foot. So just divide the total amount of Lumens, by the total amount of square feet, and that's your lumens per square foot.

NUTES AND LIGHT

WITHOUT ADEQUATE LIGHT, YOU HAVE TO REDUCE THE PPM AND AMOUNT OF NUTRIENTS FED TO THE PLANTS OR YOU WILL GET NUTE BURN.

:grinjoint:

Isnt kelvin also determined as temperature at 2pm afternoon high temps being during summer and low temps in the fall?

Roseman would have to answer that, I'm just a sheep following the shepherd with this, getting all excited about my buds growing lol im wondering if growing herbs is better than sex at this stage

How many cfl's do you really need to completly flower 1 marijuana plant and get an *subjective, i know* acceptable harvest. Have you seen anyone harvest over 3 ounces using less than like, 6 or 7 cfl's?

3 ounces off of one plant?

I'd guess 2 85s, maybe even 2 65s, but 4 65s for sure.
6 42s, up to 8 42s.
10 0r 12 27s.

I once vegged with 2 85s, added 2 65s at Flowering, started 6 unfeminized seed, got 3 females, one runt, one giant, one medium, and got 6 ounces of dried manicured buds.

Heya Roseman , Most knowledgeable of cfl guru's would love to get your input on something I am planning and tell me what you think.

I am planning on using 2 150w cfl's in a bright wing reflector that is 24" x 18" x 5" so it gives a nice footprint going to use the 2 to light a closet 2' deep x 5' long x 3 1/2' high.

What I have in mind is using them on a 24/0 cycle and will first use the space to root clones and once rooted will transfer them to 1/2gal pots the space will hold 20 pots total.

So what I am wondering is do you think using the lights just for veging my clones will the 2 150w bulbs produce fairly large plants after 2weeks at 24/0 at this point I will transfer them to a flowering room and under a 1000w HPS in 3gal pots but just not sure what to expect with the cfl's?

So seeing as you have used them so much thought I would see what you think of what Type of growth to see from rooted cuttings at 24/0 300 watts 6500k cfl which works out to 30w/sq'. Think they will be fairly large ?

2 150 watt CFLs (usage, not equvilants) would defintiely be ample for what you are proposing to do and could yeild large plants and large harvest.

2 150 watt CFLs (usage, not equvilants) would defintiely be ample for what you are proposing to do and could yeild large plants and large harvest.

Yep they are the big 150w tube lamp cfl's one is 5000k the other is 6500k the only other thing I was wondering is do you think adding in 2 2700k 23w bulbs to either side would promote denser growth?
this is what I have btw x2

You should get 2 of these one with a 150w 6500k bulb and one with a 2700k bulb and you should be able to get 3oz

They also come in a 3 bulb design that holds a 250w 6500k in the center and a 125w 2700k bulb on either side that would definetly get you 3 oz I think,

Back
Top Bottom