Changing light times

420islife

Hey guys new to the whole gyo and have purchased a 80x80x160cm grow tent running a 600w hps
Am currently in the second week of seedlings and they look pityful,
Currently running on 18/6 nutes are coco bloom fed every 4th watering and have been in the 600w tent for a week

IMG_043350.JPG

And I was just wondering if I can put them back to 24/0 without issues

And should I leave this one from seed just a little longer before transferring him from the fluro to the hps tent
IMG_043656.JPG

Or should I close the hps tent down for another week or so an have all the plants under the fluro on 24/7

Thanks heaps for any advice
Kind regard
420islife

> And I was just wondering if I can put them back to 24/0 without issues
I can't think of any reason that increasing light from 18 to 24 h would cause problems. Are they autos? If so, they could just stay on 24/0 as long as you don't mind paying the electric bill.

>And should I leave this one from seed just a little longer before transferring him from the fluro to the hps tent. Or should I close the hps tent down for another week or so an have all the plants under the fluro on 24/7

Running 600 watts for such small plants when you seem to have adequate fluorescent lighting seems like a waste of money (though I understand the desire to get the tent up and running ;)).

That first plant looks pretty unhappy. Is it getting enough water? What are you using for soil? Does it have any perlite or vermiculite mixed in to help with drainage?

Thanks heaps scientific
Was thinking mayb it was the shortened light that was making them so unhappy compared to the other. I was going to have them all in the tent but thought keep one in the fluro clone tent for just a little longer if anything happens there is a safeguard as for electrics I'm hoping the 18 fish tank heaters that are now off would conpenstate the power as the vent heats my fish reptile room.

How long would you leave #2 in the fluro tent for befor transferring? Happy to leave it in there I just thought the hPs would provide better growth

Plants are Bag seed as a test waiting on some motown chunk and gorilla glue to arrive
All grown Grow in: house and garden Van dezwann coco substrate nothing mixed as the shop never said that
Hps tent has inlet and outlet vents running on neg pressure 600w
Fluro tent no vent just me opening the tent for 10 mins a day 2x 2ft t5

Am having some issues with heat in tent a being in the Southern Hemisphere isn't helping
Will be buying a thermo for the tent on payday as the infrared doesn't agree

Apologies if my reply is sort of scattered long day at work
Any further help will be great

Love high and happy
420islife

> All grown Grow in: house and garden Van dezwann coco substrate nothing mixed as the shop never said that
It looks to me like the problem is with the guy at the shop.

I love coco coir, but it has no nutritive value; it's just fibers.
The good news is that drain-to-waste coco growing is easy (except you have to water every day) and gives great results.

There is a link in my sig file to last summer's coco grow on the deck that went well if you want to see a worked example of growing in coco using General Hydroponics' FloraSeries.

This video is useful for coco growers too. YouTube

You'll want to get some fertilizer into that coco right away.

Cool that you are doing a test run with the bag seed before the expensive beans show up. There are always kinks to be worked out...

(Oh, I really like 20% to 30% perlite mixed into the coco. I think vermiculite would work well too.)

Thanks again scientific I'm taking everything on board.
Had a read of your journal was very informative thanks for pointing me in its direction.
Have got hy-gen coco grow a+b and hygen budlink aswell. Have fed them both twice now which I think also mayb a issue as u said coco has little to no nutritional properties I think I may have to start on them abit more.
And I think after reading ur journal I may have been treating it a little to much like soil and letting it dry out so thoughts are morning water evening nutes?
Also have moved the everything into the larger tent put the fluro in and have turned the hPs off till there is a little more veg and hopefully have the time to set up the 1.2x1.2x2 as I think heat buildup maybe also hindering things.
As you said the problem may lay with the guy at the shop although he did come in $400 under the budget I had set...so surprised he didn't try and sell me more.
I will post pictures in a day or so for comparison to how the had been fairing.
Thank you again for the mentoring and following along to keep helping

Also scored the old lights from the factory I work in mh and I attempted using them except they kept switching off after a few hours which they didn't do whilst at work. The tent was producing a lot of humidity and there was no venting.. do you think that's why they may turn off as was really liking the light they produced compared to the hps so want to give it a run just don't want another lot of good plants going male from light screw ups in the start of flower grrrr lost 6 rip

Once again thanks and apologies for the scattering

Hi 420 -- I gave my outdoor coco plant one feeding a day of a mild nutrient solution, about 400 PPM or so? (Bear in mind that it was a dwarf auto and only getting 8 hours of direct light a day, so it's nutrient needs were not high.) That simple regimen worked well. Others here at 420 have had timers that automatically fed/watered their coco plants multiple times a day. I will try that next time, but one watering/feeding a day worked fine.

Too much heat is definitely a stressor. It looks like healthy, well watered plants tolerate heat better, and I have read that there are some strain differences, but one of the big advantages to growing in a tent is total control over the environment, so it seems wise to get the heat (and humidity) under control with better circulation, a swamp cooler, or even AC if necessary. For sure a closed tent with insufficient circulation is a sauna by another name. Not ideal. ;)

The little I know about arc-type lamps is that they tend to switch off more as they age and the electrodes give out and as a reaction to overheating. I think I read that older electrodes can't maintain an arc at higher temperatures, which is why they cycle on and off, but it looks like, again, maybe some heat management could help?

It's all a learning process, no? ;)

After a few days in the new tent things seem to be coming along a lot better. The good plant that stayed under 24/0 now looks like this
420-magazine-mobile713405079.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1540106931.jpg

And the other 3 are coming along better one is still straggling behind the other 2 but I think as you said scientific that coco has little nute value and there may have been the start of a deficiency. Aswell but the new grow that is coming through is looking better
420-magazine-mobile810711060.jpg

And the straggler
420-magazine-mobile1565770154.jpg

Back
Top Bottom