Clones from Clones from Clones

jaxom101

I know for the most part you want to keep the Parent and just Clone from that. But I was wondering how many times could you Clone from Clones before you started weakening the Strain? In other words if I kept a Clone and finished the Parent Plant then took a Clone from that one and Kept it and finished the Parent.

Hi jaxom101.

I may be proven wrong on this, but in my mind one should be able to do this indefinitely with no ill effects. As I think through the life cycle of clones from clones (ad infinitum) we really are doing virtually the same thing as keeping a mother plant. We are just transplanting the piece of the mother to a new container and later taking another cutting off this .

I visualize a mother plant that is (arbitrarily) 6 years old. We can take multiple clones from the mother plant itself over the 6 year period in which new growth will be forming on the mother for the entire time. Alternatively, we can take a cutting allow it to root and put on new growth and take a cutting from that new growth.

Unless my logic is wrong (and long term experience obviously lacking) I think a cutting (clone) is the mother plant just in a different container with it's own root system.

Be well and happy growing.

I'm a nobody but From my understanding You can clone from a clone several times before you start to see a loss in yield or any ill effects. If I had to put a number on it id say somewhere in the 15x - 30x Re-cloned before your bud changes. I do not know this for sure but i have seen photos of plants that look just as good as mamma and they came about in the same fashion. The guy said he had recloned and recloned and recloned and Barely noticed a difference. That being said If i were you I'd try it man! There can never be enough experiments in the grow room ;) haha and if you are out of seeds of your favorite strain and need a big plant flowered asap to keep you happy- Flower that b*tch hahah take a clone or two just for good choice sake later and go with it man. Best of luck!

I did look into this while answering (as I started to doubt my thinking) and while I didn't find a vast amount info on it, I did find a posting by subcool on another website on this matter.

I think anyone that has done much online research on Cannabis has at least heard of subcool, and I would go so far as to suggest he is widely held in pretty high esteem within the community. He's been growing pretty publically for decades. Subcool indicated that he didn't keep mothers and has used clones of clones... many times and has experienced no "genetic drift", loss of potency or health, or any other negative effect. The post indicated the primary motivation was in staying within total plant number guidelines and not reducing total yield due to non producing mother(s).

I'm on my third generation of clones from the same initial plants and while that is definitely not a long enough history to make any definitive claims, I'm inclined to say that I haven't yet experienced any negatives from the process of cloning from clones.

I did look into this while answering (as I started to doubt my thinking) and while I didn't find a vast amount info on it, I did find a posting by subcool on another website on this matter.

I think anyone that has done much online research on Cannabis has at least heard of subcool, and I would go so far as to suggest he is widely held in pretty high esteem within the community. He's been growing pretty publically for decades. Subcool indicated that he didn't keep mothers and has used clones of clones... many times and has experienced no "genetic drift", loss of potency or health, or any other negative effect. The post indicated the primary motivation was in staying within total plant number guidelines and not reducing total yield due to non producing mother(s).

I'm on my third generation of clones from the same initial plants and while that is definitely not a long enough history to make any definitive claims, I'm inclined to say that I haven't yet experienced any negatives from the process of cloning from clones.

Good post.

Yeah My bubba is like 30 generations at the very least

I agree with your comment on cloning of clones from clones. I am on my 13th grow of White Russian and I take 3 new moms to clone from on every grow. I do veg my moms for 4 to 5 weeks before cutting clones from them. My buds are still as yummy as ever.

IMG_3356_copy.jpg

Sounds like I'm not going to worry about it. I'm only on my 3rd generation. My Tent holds 4 plants and its just easy to take 4 clones and throw them in. At 8 Weeks the new clones are just the right size so clone them and throw them in and repeat.

buckshots been going off clones of clones for awhile now you should go ask him
I use clones off clones
my new ogk mom is a clone off the old mom which was a clone of the original seed
seems ok so far

Back
Top Bottom