Cloning Question

gato

A few days ago I took 3 clones from a Green Crack Fem plant. I had to make my own cloning container using half of a plastic one gallon milk jug. Then cut bendable coated wire to make arches to form the plastic wrap into a dome. Lightly shaved 2 sides of the clone tips and split the ends and then used the rooting powder. Also cut a hole in the plastic wrap top to allow ventilation. Then spritzed the plastic wrap inside with water. Kept in subdued indirect light.

The clones look healthy, but am concerned. About how long should it take for them to root? And what are the indicators I should look for that show they have rooted successfully? When I see them start growing...is that how I know and keep using the dome until then? And maybe a little longer for better rooting?

Thanks.....it seems I make every mistake a person can make growing.
:)

What are the clones put into? personally I use rockwool cubes and I know they have rooted when roots start flying out of the 1.5 inch cube, this is when I start taking them out of domes and is a good 1-2 weeks before I notice growth. However it still takes 7-10 days to see roots

You should see roots in ten days, and they should be long enough to put in medium in about 15 days.
I've done a lot of cloning - but, I never did it the way you did ...
so I can't predict outcome.

I don't have access to rockwool and for budget reasons (very poor--truly) had to make my own cloning chamber. Everything I have for growing is cobbled together from things I have or can fabricate.

Balcony glass light and 4 twist bulbs in a cardboard box in a closet at night.

Only thing I have for medium is Miracle Grow. I pretty much figure that is not a good thing for the clones, but it is what I have and had to use it. Would like to have better, but no access...I don't buy over the internet.

That ten days info to root helps a great deal and the 15 days to transplant. Appreciate the simple answer.

Thanks for the responses. Sort of odd, but I did not get an email notice for your answers. Thought that was automatic for a post(?)

Thanks Again!

cannabis cloning can be done with just plain water in a jar,,, sometimes..

near any home built system will work,, sometimes

cloning can be very hit and miss,, always

as mentioned by @Auggie , seven to 10 days can be right to see roots. but,, sometimes these clones can sit there forever it seems like,, and in the end do nothing

if you can see the stalk, you will see roots before you will see top growth

be creative, like you are,, frugal is good, real good, for the world friend

Thanks @nivek for the additional info. I have started house plants in water and once started to with MJ, but dropped the idea.

I like the "sometimes" thing...lol

Thanks for those helps.

Yes frugal is good, but boy does it suck too! Scraping together money for a couple of seeds of a variety I'd really like to try. Using the unconventional for conventional. Bread twist ties for tie downs. Plastic containers from Dollar Tree for a dollar and sawing notches for drainage. Think the term is "Necessity is the Mother of Invention"?

Yes, frugality is good, but forced frugality mostly sucks...sometimes (lol)

Take Care....maybe Santa will come this year?...I've been a very good boy....

Thanks@

Thanks @013
I was occasionally removing the cover and blowing on the plants and then replacing the cover with fresh water spray on the plastic. Worried once a day for 5 minutes might not be enough or too long a time uncovered. Guess I can observe and try to adjust.

For me clones are kinda hit & miss too. I like to hedge my bets so I will cut clones & mix them up. A few get cloning gel, some get rooting powder. A few will go in glass jar at window sill, others go in soil in a humidity dome.

The thing about any humidity dome is much like crutches for broken leg. You don’t go from crutches to a marathon, rehab is necessary. You’ve got to slowly wean them off the dome to more fresh air while you build roots. You’ve got this..... I hope you get them rooted up soon!

@013 Thanks for the cautions. Will try the 5 minutes a day, but expect I'll likely freak out about them wilting from being uncovered that long and will recover sooner and maybe a couple of times a day.

We'll see how they go. Have another Green Crack in early veg now to grow larger than usual....so if they don't take it's ok.

Thanks

Thanks @nivek for the additional info. I have started house plants in water and once started to with MJ, but dropped the idea.

I like the "sometimes" thing...lol

Thanks for those helps.

Yes frugal is good, but boy does it suck too! Scraping together money for a couple of seeds of a variety I'd really like to try. Using the unconventional for conventional. Bread twist ties for tie downs. Plastic containers from Dollar Tree for a dollar and sawing notches for drainage. Think the term is "Necessity is the Mother of Invention"?

Yes, frugality is good, but forced frugality mostly sucks...sometimes (lol)

Take Care....maybe Santa will come this year?...I've been a very good boy....

Thanks@
Another option is to go for a pack of regular seeds ; 50/50 male/fem , let them self pollinate or gather pollin yourself, and dose her for seeds
Have you tried this method ? Saves buying seeds or cloning

TIP
Before taking the cutting, growers should stop fertilizing their plant four to five days ahead of time. This will reduce the amount of nitrogen in the plant, which improves the chances of the cutting taking root. Nitrogen triggers the growth of leaves, so the less the plant has the more likely it will focus on growing roots.
Use 7" cuts
Spritz only every 3 days

A few days ago I took 3 clones from a Green Crack Fem plant. I had to make my own cloning container using half of a plastic one gallon milk jug. Then cut bendable coated wire to make arches to form the plastic wrap into a dome. Lightly shaved 2 sides of the clone tips and split the ends and then used the rooting powder. Also cut a hole in the plastic wrap top to allow ventilation. Then spritzed the plastic wrap inside with water. Kept in subdued indirect light.

The clones look healthy, but am concerned. About how long should it take for them to root? And what are the indicators I should look for that show they have rooted successfully? When I see them start growing...is that how I know and keep using the dome until then? And maybe a little longer for better rooting?

Thanks.....it seems I make every mistake a person can make growing.
Immediately place your new cuttings in water. Don’t wait or the clone may die! The longer you wait after cutting before putting the stem in the water, the more likely air will get in the stem. Air in the stem causes the clone to immediately droop and start dying. That’s why the new cutting must be put in water immediately Note: If using cloning gel or powdery, quickly dip the end of the stem first then place in water. Some growers dip in gel first, then powder, then into the water. Some growers trim the edges of their leaves, especially big leaves. This is because the cutting has trouble getting enough water to the leaves without any roots. That’s why it’s also a good idea to trim leaves if it’s very dry where you live (the leaves evaporate water quickly in dry air, and the plant can’t keep up). It can also help to raise the humidity or use a dome to keep more moisture in the air around clones. Trim the ends of leaves if they’re big, or if the air is dry (under 30% RH) where you live. Otherwise, feel free to leave them alone.

@013 That large ziploc bag sounds better than my wire hooped plastic wrap. Think I'll try that...easy off and easy on. The cut corner thing as well.

@Herby Green Yes immediately under water trickle and then water until dipping. Saw a grow video of shaving the sides of the tips and splitting into 4 prongs. Then rooting powder. They said it exposes more for root formation. So I tried it. Clipped leaves to 50%.

Also thanks for that 7" clone info. I cut smaller. And spritzing every 3 days? Spritzing the cuttings themselves I assume? The inside of the dome as well....still following the 5 minutes uncovered each day? Sorry for the multi-questioning, but want as much clarity as possible for my simplistic mind.

Cloning will be a mystery for you...until it’s not. I make 12-16 clones a month. Almost at 100% success each time now. But I killed dozens when learning. You said you were on a budget. I’ve attached a pic of an inexpensive contraption I bought off Amazon for cloning.
Within 10-14 days roots appear out the bottom of these small plastic containers.
A few things I’ve learned:
-Water from the bottom, never from the top
-Must mist the plants multiple times a day for the first week, then watch how they react to reduced humidity
-Temp is critical, 75-80F works for me
-I cut 45 degree, dip in rooting powder and then in Clonex liquid

Good luck, when you get it you’ll be ecstatic.

Attachments

• 843E8FE1-31E7-4E6A-B46A-183A65F36D51.jpeg
    843E8FE1-31E7-4E6A-B46A-183A65F36D51.jpeg
    698.7 KB · Views: 87
  • A073DEE7-33F3-45D8-B721-9D83687443EA.jpeg
    A073DEE7-33F3-45D8-B721-9D83687443EA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 87
Cloning will be a mystery for you...until it’s not. I make 12-16 clones a month. Almost at 100% success each time now. But I killed dozens when learning. You said you were on a budget. I’ve attached a pic of an inexpensive contraption I bought off Amazon for cloning.
Within 10-14 days roots appear out the bottom of these small plastic containers.
A few things I’ve learned:
-Water from the bottom, never from the top
-Must mist the plants multiple times a day for the first week, then watch how they react to reduced humidity
-Temp is critical, 75-80F works for me
-I cut 45 degree, dip in rooting powder and then in Clonex liquid

Good luck, when you get it you’ll be ecstatic.
Hi Fldave59,
I'm glad you dropped in with inspiration and cups of goodness.
Thanks and elbows up for taking the time to share.
Sharing rocks these old days when one is starting new hobbys in retirement.
How are you?
Ok, so
WATER FROM BOTTOM
TEMP 75-80
DIP IN ROOT POW & :Namaste:THEN CLONEX

I have tried a bunch of tomatoes and Weigelia using different methods
The 3 tips I mention I didn't try but may have a Weigelia cloned.
I have a large dome with vents and an Aero tray with cups,holes and peat pucks but lost some White Widow seeds in it when begining my grow a while back,so only used the dome without bottom water.
I have some peat,soil,compo, & perlite to use.
:thanks:☘What mix do you like best ?
Check pic of Acid strain on lst,she is about 3 months gone now and is healthy.
When we take a trip I'll pick up some root helper and sterilize my clippers for my 1st herb clone attempt.
Other members have added to the joy of a 420 circle fun :goodluck:

Attachments

• never-give-up-hope.jpg
    never-give-up-hope.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 20200921_163513.jpg
    20200921_163513.jpg
    924 KB · Views: 74
Back
Top Bottom