Cloning vs. purchased seeds vs. homegrown seeds aka. the dilemma with male plants

JustCurious79

Soon after I started to learn about 420 growing I faced something of a dilemma. Everywhere people would warn of male plants, and write that they should be killed off right away.
Frankly I don't understand this at all. I'm working on my first harvest but the option of growing your own seeds doesn't sound too bad to me, especially when a plant produces seeds for a higher monetary value then bud. You could actually save money by sacrificing a plant every now and then for this.
I'm merely a beginner, but this is how it looks to me.
Also, do you know of any place that would sell ordinary (non-feminized) Grapefruit seeds?

Re: Cloning vs. purchased seeds vs. homegrown seeds (aka. the dilemma with male plant

The problem with males is that they will seed your entire crop since the pollen cannot be easily controlled. If you want to create seeds, I would do it in a very controlled way. Check out RC Clarke's Marijuana Botany for some techniques. Honestly, as a beginner, you should focus on growing excellent sinsemilla before getting into the world of breeding which is quite advanced if you want to do it right.

Re: Cloning vs. purchased seeds vs. homegrown seeds (aka. the dilemma with male plant

Aa ok. Didn't realize pollen was THAT hard to control, just assumed it was enough to mate the plants in a tent and put a working air filter on the exhaust fan.

yeah pollen is evil if left to have its wicked way. 1 small banana (male flower) can inject your entire crop with thousands of seeds.

i prefer seeds over clones. but you will NEVER get a straight answer about which is better because whichever way a person goes, they are hardcore loyal to their choice.

if you do get into breeding your own seeds. you should have 2 grow rooms. 1 for growing your plants and sexxing them, then females get moved to a different area to be away from pollen. and then everything but 1 male and 1 female stay in the first grow room, ideally the best looking male and female of the entire crop (best looking is defined by the pheno traits YOU are looking for in your plants)

I wouldn't trust a grow tent for growing males. Cannabis pollen can travel miles and is so small and light, I think it would find its way to your virgin girls (we men have a one-track mind). I would invest in a very nice air filter if I were doing any kind of breeding program. There are ways to pollinate single branches, but again, I would do my research before attempting anything as advanced as breeding. A friend of mine grew out some bag seeds. One was male, the other was female. I warned him that pollen is pernicious, but he didn't believe me. He ended up with an ounce of the seediest weed ever. Don't learn the hard way...

I appreciate the warnings but I still believe this is something I'd want to give a try some time after I finish my first crop. Not that I intend to breed anything, I just want to be self-reliant when it comes to seeds.
Google didn't help me a lot, so the question is where could one order ordinary or male-only seeds for the strains Grapefruit and Critical #47? Everything on sale seem to be female.

I appreciate the warnings but I still believe this is something I'd want to give a try some time after I finish my first crop. Not that I intend to breed anything, I just want to be self-reliant when it comes to seeds.
Google didn't help me a lot, so the question is where could one order ordinary or male-only seeds for the strains Grapefruit and Critical #47? Everything on sale seem to be female.

That is it in a nutshell you cannot but a male seed, lol. You have to find a very good regular seed, not feminised or auto and grow them they all will not be female, trust me on this. That is wy they are called regular, if you happen to get a male plant out of them that you like you can isolate it and keep it as a father plant so to speak and go from there. As states I would run with your grow, learn and make the next one even better, but remember a male is not always a bad thing. Peace,OG

also if you happen to like a strain that is only availible as feminised. look for a similar strain you can get as a regular. then take the regular male and breed it with the fem strain. the fem will produce hybrid regulars. pick a male offspring that most resembles the mothers strain traits and back cross that with the fem strain. if your very carefull about selection, you can do this for a few generations and convert your fem strain into a reg strain using a surrogate male and have washed out most of the surrogates traits by culling its stronger offsprings and leaving only the grapefruit or critical traits.

Rodelization or using colloidal silver on a female plant is a lot safer since if all you want are some seeds. Honestly though I agree with most of what everyone has said here and to just get some grows under your belt before you stat mucking around with males. Cheers chum

Rodelization or using colloidal silver on a female plant is a lot safer since if all you want are some seeds. Honestly though I agree with most of what everyone has said here and to just get some grows under your belt before you stat mucking around with males. Cheers chum

what your saying there is what i consider to be 'chapter 2'
creating feminised seeds is EXACTLY what a producer wants. however, before you can do that, you want your seeds to express only the traits you have selected.

for example, one of my favorite strains is fastbud 2. it would be very easy for me to feminise one of those and produce my own seeds in abundance...but having grown a few dozen, i can tell you that it is not a stable strain and almost every plant shows a different pheno, some more desirable than others.

in this instance its better to convert the fastbud from fem to reg, breed for a few generations to narrow the pheno variation in your seeds and then when every seeds grows with the traits your looking for....then is the time to start making fem seeds from it ;)

what your saying there is what i consider to be 'chapter 2'
creating feminised seeds is EXACTLY what a producer wants. however, before you can do that, you want your seeds to express only the traits you have selected.

for example, one of my favorite strains is fastbud 2. it would be very easy for me to feminise one of those and produce my own seeds in abundance...but having grown a few dozen, i can tell you that it is not a stable strain and almost every plant shows a different pheno, some more desirable than others.

in this instance its better to convert the fastbud from fem to reg, breed for a few generations to narrow the pheno variation in your seeds and then when every seeds grows with the traits your looking for....then is the time to start making fem seeds from it ;)

Well said that is commitment , Peace OG

Back
Top Bottom