Clue me in on the reality of a small grow...

filmclip

So, I finally took the step to start growing, so I set up a mini-farm in my basement. I'm starting small to avoid costly mistakes.

I have 6 clones in an ebb & flow hydro unit and 2 eight/10 week mothers in soil.
All plants are pineapple-something or another, I can't remember the exact name.

Currently I'm using two 4 foot florescent grow bulbs and everything seems to be growing fine.

I realize that when it comes time to flower/bud that I really need a HPS set-up, so here's my questions:

Will one 400watt HPS create enough heat for me to be worried?

Will I need to filter the air with just 6 flowering plants?

Do I need to go through the trouble of a CO2 set-up?

Do I need to have the same worries of heat & stink as large scale growers?

What factors/aspects of growing can I cut back on, and which ones shouldn't be ignored?

Help a brotha' out! :peace:

So, I finally took the step to start growing, so I set up a mini-farm in my basement. I'm starting small to avoid costly mistakes.

I have 6 clones in an ebb & flow hydro unit and 2 eight/10 week mothers in soil.

Currently I'm using two 4 foot florescent grow bulbs and everything seems to be growing fine.

I realize that when it comes time to flower/bud that I really need a HPS set-up, so here's my questions:

What factors/aspects of growing can I cut back on, and which ones shouldn't be ignored?

How big is the basement? I'm running 2 400s in an 8x7x7 space. Keeps them nice and warm down there.

How close are your neighbours? A charcoal filter and/or ozone may be needed to keep your little secret.

As long as you have regular replacement of air CO2 will be replaced too. CO2 enhancement is more for sealed rooms and the high performance growers.

Heat with one lamp, not to worry but as above odor control can be a BIG issue depending on your locale.

1) Do not ignore stealth. Resist the urge to flap your gums. Loose lips sink ships!

2) Keep all electrical stuff up to code and off the floor.

3) You can save a lot of money if you're handy. Many of the things you need for growing can be made yourself. If you got the cash by all means support the economy by buying nothing but the best. Then again. If you have that much coin why bother growing. Find a couple of growers and score all the pot you want. I wish! :0)

4) Spend lots of time browsing the various and informative forums that abound here. There is a wealth of information a click away.

Welcome to the club.

:peace:

Thanks for the reply Labrat, here's a few answers for you.

Single family home, no need for "stealth" and I've kept my gums from flapping.
The basement is around 1200 sq feet
My only concerns are creating a heat profile and odor control.
I think that I can control the stink if needed,charcoal filters are pretty easy to make...but my biggest worry is if one 400 watt fixture will give me a heat profile.

I gather by heat profile you mean one that the man can detect with infrared. If there is air circulating around the whole basement will be slightly warm but that shouldn't draw attention. Avoid hanging the ballast on the wall like I do as that would create a hot spot for sure. Any exhaust would show up as well. My grow is underground in a small utility basement and the exhaust is at the back under the heated shop. The closest anyone can get to it is about 1/2 mile.

Is your basement above ground or under? If you can set up your grow near a wall that's blocked by a neighbour's house it would be harder to get an infrared camera aimed at your outside wall. I know there is a material made that is supposed to prevent IR from seeing the hot spot created by the light but I'm not sure who makes it or where to get it. I doubt that one 400 is going to cause a problem tho.

It is always prudent to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

I too remember when a lid went for $20 and came with FREE seeds. Lots of them. lol

Lots of luck. (the good kind)

Are you located in a neighborhood that has a history of in house grows?

Q: Are you located in a neighborhood that has a history of in house grows?

A: No, I'm in white-bread suburbia, average home $500K+

The word on the street is that there is no money in the county/city budget this year to do aerial heat scans. Since my set-up is at the rear of the house, any law enforcement would have to trespass to be able scan the rear of my home.

Q: Are you located in a neighborhood that has a history of in house grows?

A: No, I'm in white-bread suburbia, average home $500K+

The word on the street is that there is no money in the county/city budget this year to do aerial heat scans. Since my set-up is at the rear of the house, any law enforcement would have to trespass to be able scan the rear of my home.

It sounds like you're good to grow. Get yourself some decent odor control and Bob's your uncle.

I think going with a good charcoal filter like you said is your best option. Ozone has a smell that would raise the eyebrows of your neighbours almost as much as the weed stink and wouldn't fool LEO for a second.

I really don't think you have a worry in the world unless you advertise your grow in the local newspaper... Even then print is dead... Just use your common sense and all will be fine..
PS. I put cardboard over my basement window that was visible from the outside that way no light would escape and eliminate any probable cause.

Good Luck...

Sounds like you are using your head. #1 rule of growing is tell no one. A single 400 watt would cover your plants nicely and not produce enough heat to worry about. With 1200 sqft of space you will need to wall off an area when you get to flower. They need absolute darkness during their "night" cycle. Smell, 6 plants will smell. Can you exhaust to outside?

For an exhaust, I MAY or MAY NOT have an ideal situation, you tell me...

Even though the house has a large basement, it is not a "full" basement.
The grow room is right next to a built in door leading to a rather large gravel lined crawl space. Now our master bedroom is above this space, so whatever it is I end up doing it HAS to be 100%. My spouse knows about the grow, but I don't think she wants to smell weed all night while trying to sleep.
Anyway...I could either use dryer flex hose with a carbon filter at the end, or I thought about burying the end of the hose deep into the gravel hoping the ground could absorb the stink...I'm not even sure that it would work, but the thought crossed my mind.

BTW...thanks for all of the replies!

Vent it into the crawl space and if the smell does permeate upstairs plug in one of those cheap electric air fresheners to mask the smell.

And Yes! it's Glade! LOL!

For an exhaust, I MAY or MAY NOT have an ideal situation, you tell me...

Even though the house has a large basement, it is not a "full" basement.
The grow room is right next to a built in door leading to a rather large gravel lined crawl space. Now our master bedroom is above this space, so whatever it is I end up doing it HAS to be 100%. My spouse knows about the grow, but I don't think she wants to smell weed all night while trying to sleep.
Anyway...I could either use dryer flex hose with a carbon filter at the end, or I thought about burying the end of the hose deep into the gravel hoping the ground could absorb the stink...I'm not even sure that it would work, but the thought crossed my mind.

BTW...thanks for all of the replies!

got some good pic's here...
Unfinished basement

1stworks Gallery - 420 Magazine Photo Gallery

Back
Top Bottom