Cold temps: time to cut?

tess

My very healthy outdoor Blueberry plants are loaded with small buds but I think I have run out of time. We have one night minus 3 Celsius - 27 F coming up and I can wrap them again frost and freeze but the next two weeks see daytime temperatures with sun between 12 - 15 C. or 54 - 60 F. Will the buds continue to grow with such cool daytime temps? Most nights while not freezing are still quite cold and days are getting real short. I am thinking there is no point to risk killing the plants and I should just cut them and bring them in now. What do you think? Thank you!!

I have not grown marijuana outside past the end of September before. This year I have several in the ground and in pots so I will find out if they are just like other summer annuals which can be grown through our summers and autumns.

I have no idea where you are at, but here in southeast Michigan, USA, my experience has been that after the first frost or two we will experience a streak of several days, up to 2 weeks, of temperatures at night that are above freezing and daytime temps of 50 to low 60s. Plants continue to grow new leaves, new flowers and ripen whatever fruit or flowers they already have growing.

So, yes, I figure that they will continue to grow and ripen but it will certainly be slower than when compared to an inside growing where the temps can be kept warmer during the day and the night. I am planning on our first frost sometime between the 15th and the 30th. I plan on keeping them going as long as possible before I finish this experiment.

No matter what you decide to do, remember the problems that can pop up with moulds after a couple of days of rain once the temperatures cool off.

As the saying goes, your mileage may vary.

I have not grown marijuana outside past the end of September before. This year I have several in the ground and in pots so I will find out if they are just like other summer annuals which can be grown through our summers and autumns.

I have no idea where you are at, but here in southeast Michigan, USA, my experience has been that after the first frost or two we will experience a streak of several days, up to 2 weeks, of temperatures at night that are above freezing and daytime temps of 50 to low 60s. Plants continue to grow new leaves, new flowers and ripen whatever fruit or flowers they already have growing.

So, yes, I figure that they will continue to grow and ripen but it will certainly be slower than when compared to an inside growing where the temps can be kept warmer during the day and the night. I am planning on our first frost sometime between the 15th and the 30th. I plan on keeping them going as long as possible before I finish this experiment.

No matter what you decide to do, remember the problems that can pop up with moulds after a couple of days of rain once the temperatures cool off.

As the saying goes, your mileage may vary.
Thanks for the reply. I am in the central/north Ontario. Your temps sound similar. Will you wrap your plants on the nights you expect frost? I would like to leave them outside as long as possible too. We have had a ton of rain but so far no mould.

After reading your post I was worried about bud rot. One of my plants is a lot darker than the others and I couldn't tell if the dark was from mould. I picked a small bud and took a close up shot ... I don't think the plant has bud rot. The other plants are further along, but still weeks away.

Attachments

• Wood Stove1.jpg
    Wood Stove1.jpg
    520.4 KB · Views: 170
  • Wood Stove2.jpg
    Wood Stove2.jpg
    735.4 KB · Views: 155
about 20 years ago i had a brother living in north western ontario. he did an outdoor grow and didn't harvest until almost mid Oct. the temps were down to about -1c over night and his plants were pretty amazing. i'd just keep a close eye on them if you can.

the buds might be darkening because of the cold. a lot of those purple or blue strains don't get any colour unless the temps get down really low at the end.

Ive grown a blueberry twist inside...the last 4weeks flowering her the temps were down too 1c/ 2c lights out,...at the time i had no heater but like yours the leaves take on that blue hue, the strain is supposed too handle these conditions quite well, as for you being outdoors i know its a world away from an inside grow but temps are temps...just what ive experienced mate.

Thanks for the reply. I am in the central/north Ontario. Your temps sound similar. Will you wrap your plants on the nights you expect frost? I would like to leave them outside as long as possible too. We have had a ton of rain but so far no mould.
The plants that are in the ground are not here at the house so I will not be able to wrap or cover those. The couple that are on the patio will be covered on the nights when I think the temps will get to low.

I have a lot of culinary herbs in large pots also on the patio and I have covered those overnight a couple of times just about every fall. It would not be out of the ordinary if the neighbors wake up and see sheets or light blankets covering the plants. The two marijuana plants on the patio would remain in stealth mode since the neighbors would just figure I am doing what I do every fall when the first couple of frost nights come...protecting my Rosemary, Oregano or Thyme until it is time to bring them all into the back room.

Hi Tess ...I'm in central northern Ontario and I am pushing the limits on an outdoor grow too, I started late with growing this season in a DWC system in an unheated garage and two plants outside in soil in pots... The two outside I bring in during the nights and one night I forgot to bring them in and thier leaves started turning purple which maybe be a sign of phosphorous lockout... do to the cold temps at night here 5c to 7c and rainy! I have used those heavy duty paper yard clean up bags and covered the plants with them with success in keeping my potted plants warm. Also cover the ground around the plants if they are in the ground with straw or thick dark mulch to keep the roots warm. Good luck with the rest of the grow! :)

Thanks for all the replies!

I am holding out for next weeks sunshine and mid-teen temperatures as the buds are looking awesome. So I have to get them through another night of minus 4 Celsius. My plants are over 7 feet tall and in a raised bed so totally covering them has been impossible. The other night was minus 2 C. As HP above suggested, I covered the roots with mulch. I also put several 6 foot bamboo stakes around each plant. I gently wrapped old bedsheets around the plants hooking them over the top of the bamboo poles. A couple feet of plant rises above the sheeting. The plants were fine after the -2C night, but tonight is going to be really challenging for them. I am hoping the sheets will hold in enough warmth and keep out enough frost to stop the plants from freezing.

---gulp---

I battle early winter in orygun ! I have a greenhouse with 4 HPS lights , a potbelly stove , backup oil heater & concrete insulation blankets . I wrap up my greenery like a present and maintain mid 50’s at night -11F with 6” of snow outside . It’s taken awhile to get my system dialed in . These days I can grow through the snow and let my plants ripen . However in the past building up to my greenery I had outdoor Mary’s .
My solution was a chain link dog kennel ! I got 3 of them used @thrift and local for sale sites . They are easy to get around a large plant and are sturdy . I simply caged the Mary , wrapped it with a tarp and put a hot rock from the fire in there to keep it cozy . . You can use an oil heater also . It’s a little extra work covering & uncovering but the branch tips reward you for the extra effort .
With a little planning you can cage your plants and light dep them mid summer so your toking a fatty in September 👍🏻
Good luck man ! Stay warm

I battle early winter in orygun ! I have a greenhouse with 4 HPS lights , a potbelly stove , backup oil heater & concrete insulation blankets . I wrap up my greenery like a present and maintain mid 50’s at night -11F with 6” of snow outside . It’s taken awhile to get my system dialed in . These days I can grow through the snow and let my plants ripen . However in the past building up to my greenery I had outdoor Mary’s .
My solution was a chain link dog kennel ! I got 3 of them used @thrift and local for sale sites . They are easy to get around a large plant and are sturdy . I simply caged the Mary , wrapped it with a tarp and put a hot rock from the fire in there to keep it cozy . . You can use an oil heater also . It’s a little extra work covering & uncovering but the branch tips reward you for the extra effort .
With a little planning you can cage your plants and light dep them mid summer so your toking a fatty in September 👍🏻
Good luck man ! Stay warm
Hey Woody hope your having a good day my friend.
Thanks for the info.
Got any pics in winter.
I've got a greenhouse that needs heat.
It's in my Heavens Shores thread in my signature if you have time to have a look.
BTW this is an old thread and you may not get a reply.
Top left corner of the post has the date. ( Oct - 2019 ).
Talk soon.

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

Back
Top Bottom