Compost or recycle your dirt

jimburke

grab 6 used pallets from the back of stores.(ask first)nail a box together for a cheap 4by8 compost bin .add used dirt with the roots shook out.add leaves ,any manure you can pick up , left over vegies, trash fish from fishing.a couple gallons of woodstove ash,a good dusting of bonemeal ,i like a layer of seaweed. wet down every couple of weeks stirring a few times add some worms and in 4-5 months after filled.all the salts and left overs from previous grow will be gone and the compost will be very good.add perlite to thin if you like.it will be very rich.the 3rd time it goes to my wifes flowers. this will save you more money than you realize. and fun making that perfect blend for your grow.

Re: compost or recycle your dirt.

Its also healthy for the earth!!! :) My family has done this for years with their vegetable garden and we always had the most tasty tomato's, cucumbers, onions, carrots..you name it...it always was amazing produce... now that I live almost 2000 miles away I find myself craving a home grown tomato because the compost just makes them so freaking amazing :)

we used to dig a good hole down about 2 foot and about 3 feet wide and would do the same...eggshells, coffee grinds, fish from fishing, veggie and fruit scraps.... we would have bonfires and throw some of the ash in there and it always was so alive with worms :) I wish I had a house of my own and a yard because I definitely would be composting and growing my own smoke and veggies :)

Love the whole recycling thing myself, need to build a better mulch/compost bin. We do that here as well and love our vegetable gardenn and don't use the store for anything , if we plan our garden right. Love the mix will give it a try. Thanks OG.

I honestly believe that if weed were legal it would encourage more to learn about healthy growing which overall may increase home veggie gardens too :)

Agreed! I am so much more knowledgeable about "legit" gardening since i first started growing.

Question for you guys: do any of you recycle your hydro nutes to the outside garden? I'm working on my flower chamber, installing a drain. Instead of running to the house septic life, i plan to run it to a rain barrel which in turn gravity feeds to the garden. I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts advice or experiences.

Haven't hooked up the drain yet closet organic, decided to finish my bagseed grow in soil before popping my new beans from Tude.

I have been recycling my dirt in the garden compost though. I have two compost piles, a "hot" pile for potting soil, farm manure, and other materials that will break down quickly. This is where the indoor mj material goes after shredding finely. The other pile is a slow burn pile for large waste like vegetable waste, brown paper bags, etc things that will take months to break down without shredding.

So far, the mj shreddings disappear in a matter of days, mixed in with the hot pile.

As i prepare for the hydro grow this spring, I'll keep you guys updated about the hydro-to-garden nute recycling program.

Thats cool on your composting. Do you use any finished compost on your Mj?
I actually have been reusing my soil And also compost my yard, garden and kitchen scraps and mj materiaL too. It goes in old garbage cans outside that have holes and cracks in bot for drainage and composting bugs and worms to get in. I do have to stir them weekly for faster results and once in a while will sift for finished compost. I found out bringing that straight inside brings bugs to to my closet. To stop that and try to keep as much of the benificial bacteria fungi and stuff as possible cook in oven at 180 for an hour then stir and back in for another hour. A future goal is to vermicompost indoors mj material and kitchen scraps since its winter and outdoors is frozen now.
If I ever did try hydro it probably would be DWC organic and then when changing waters I would put the old in veggy garden.

Great info CO, I bet that a garbage can with holes works every bit as good as one of those $100 compost barrel contraptions.

I haven't used the compost for indoor mj, for fear of bugs and stuff. I like your oven method, may try it myself in the future. But my legit veggie garden its always needing compost, which i have to either buy or make, so using the cast offs from mj gardening for that purpose is a no brainer for me.

I've got a family member in another state who grows the must kick ass organic weed I've ever smoked. He swears by soil organics, and makes his own fertilizer from fish emulsions, etc. I like hydro growing myself but I cant deny that his ways are effective! If hydro wasnt so quick and fun I'd be growing his way in a heartbeat.

I've seen some folks on here doing organic hydro, seems to be the best of both worlds but I noticed that there seem to be some difficulties with res cleanliness, drains getting clogged, etc. I've also seen some of the more successful ones making teas/brews with their nutes rather than dumping the raw goods directly in the res. The color looks the same from their pics but the solution seems much clearer to me, less cloudy/clumpy. Bottom line, I'm thinking organic hydro is basically the holy grail of growing and, if i could take on the challenges it brings I'd be doing it! Maybe in a grow or two I'll take the plunge and try it out.

Back
Top Bottom