Confused-cloning question

pugmug420

I am going to try and clone but I have a stupid question. When you cut from your flowering plant, do you cut a branch that has a flower or 2 & a couple of leaves on it or do you just cut a fan leaf with the stem? And do you cut as close to the main stalk as possible? I am kinda scared I'll screw it up and hurt my plants. Thanks again for the help...:yummy:

Cut from the bottom of the plant with a sterile blade at a 40 degree angle. Cut as close to the stem as possible so the remaining portion doesnt become necrotic. You should have now what looks like a young plant with a few leaves and perhaps a flower. Apply cloning hormone to the stem and place in dirt or rockwool. Put a dome over them and keep the humidity relatively high.

I'm gonna be doin some cloning today, so I'll take some pics of the process and post them on my bagseed thread later on today. ;-) It's all a learning process, and once you do it once, you'll have it down pat. ;-)

I totally agree with MsFox...
You really do learn alot from each process and realize how to overcome a prob and then use what your learned to better your system.

Cloning will give you a copy of the mother plant you take it from. Strain and sex. So you can take one female and turn her into as many clones as you care to cut.

Hi Roman,
You may remember any gardeners people you may know say "take a cutting" from a plant. Its an asexual type of reproduction of a plant that makes an exact gentic copy of the plant the "cutting" was taken from, thereby a clone!
When you take a "cutting" or a "clone". You Save seedling growth time and you know what your'e goning to get!

ha i have another stupid question to add to this one, um if u dont know the sex of your plant in the veg state how can u clone it knowing that u did the right thing and got females? and u cant clone a plant once its flowering correct?

no you can clone after your plant has gone into flowering. From reading the info on this site 21 days(from when it goes into flowering) looks to be about the best time to clone. I did one clone from each of my 5 plants (all female) last night. Just make sure you have everything you need and ready I was running around like a chicken with no head trying to find the right size humidity dome (I cut one of the clones a little tall).

thank you for that tid bit of info idk why i had that set in my head. im excited to get my shit gowing and take clones. i really want to keep the genetis alive and breed

Also Dude you can use the search engine on here. Type in some key words like sexing, or flowering for some pic's. I'll try to find some later if no one else sends ya link. Got to run the beagles for afew. Stay Down

you can also clone during veg- and either continue vegging them, or flower them immediately. tells you gender real quick.

I'm usually 90% certain of gender before I flower plants- the buggers have preflowers and stuff- tells you things.

Its best to veg and take clones and sex them immediatly...This way you know the sex of your vegging plants before its time to flwoer so you can eliminate the males and replace them with the female clones.

Here is an exerpt from a nice article about plant reproduction.

"Asexual reproduction in plants is also called vegetative reproduction because it simply involves the growth of parts which eventually become detached to form new plants. Since the new parts are produced by ordinary cell division, they are direct copies of the original, with no input from another individual as in sexual reproduction. Consequently, asexual reproduction does not introduce variation, unlike sexual reproduction (flowers and their products: seeds). However, it follows that asexual reproduction may be seen as a means of maintaining continuity.
It is also a fairly quick method of increasing numbers.
The same principle can also be used by Man in order to grow more plants, perhaps starting from only one plant, a process called artificial propagation. This is especially useful if you want to produce many copies of a plant which has some desirable characteristics, such as flowers of a different colour, or fruits with a particular taste or quality.
One fairly easy way of doing this is to take cuttings of a plant, by removing part of a plant, which then eventually grows into a whole plant on its own.

Wiki has some nice info on vegetative reproduction as well as a nice article of asexual reproduction.
Aint it "great" that we can easisly make a new plant from a great existing one???
Gotta love the science of plants, cant cut my arm off and grow a new one but many plants can!!!
Peace to all just sharing info.
fineas

I was wondering, if anyone can tell me if you can clone from a center part of a shoot or if it has to be the tip end? I took acouple cuttings that were kind of long and I used the bottom half for another cutting. Will it work? Thanks Stay down Wood

I also wonder about that. I was taking clones just like you were and now that they are a few weeks into growing well the leaves on the cut one are green and luxurious. The plant looks very healthy, no new leaf growth tho, and the other cutting took well with lots of growth. but a nurseryman told me once that a cutting like that will eventually have new growth if you are patient. Now its a matter I guess, if that is fact, if you want to tie up time with that kind of a cutting.
:peace:

Be careful when your clones are taken in a pre flowering stage and don't take them too far into flowering: I had this happen recently " Family was in town" and took them one week after I put them in the flowering area, not the night before as I always do> this resulted in the clones going into immediate bud... it has taken 3 weeks for them to regain vertical growth, Using rock wool & Earth Juice Gell as dip, & Earth Juice Rootstock they have snapped out of flower>
And no you do not have to cut as close to the mainstock as possible>

It does get easier as you go along>

A Hui Hou

Back
Top Bottom