Connecticut House Approves Legalization Of Medical Marijuana

Julie Gardener

The House of Representatives voted late Wednesday night to legalize marijuana for medical purposes for adults – despite a letter from the state's top federal prosecutor saying that those growing marijuana would be violating federal law.

The vote was 96-51 in favor.

Read Bill Here: HB 5389

Patients would be required to receive a prescription from a physician to receive marijuana to relieve pain from illnesses such as cancer, glaucoma, HIV and multiple sclerosis. The bill would allow some producers to cultivate and grow the marijuana, and licensed pharmacists could provide the marijuana to patients. Patients would need to requalify every year in order to keep smoking medical marijuana.

The bill prevents all prison inmates and anyone younger than 18 from obtaining medical marijuana to relieve their pain, regardless of the extent of their illness.

Some legislators spoke from personal experience on the emotional issue, detailing pain and suffering by family members. Others said they were troubled as they tried to balance compassion against the rules of federal law.

"This is a tough issue for me. I am truly torn,'' said Rep. Brian Becker, an attorney and West Hartford Democrat who is serving his first term in the legislature. "I have concluded that the way to help them is to ask the United States Congress to approve the use of medicinal marijuana. ... Today, the use of marijuana for any purpose is a federal crime. ... No matter what we do, the federal government may still prosecute under federal law.''

He added, "Any pharmacist ... would risk arrest by federal agents and the loss of his or her federal license to dispense.''

The debate, which was continuing late Wednesday night, took place only two days after U.S. Attorney David B. Fein of Connecticut issued a strongly worded letter to two state senators about the bill.

"House Bill 5389 will create a licensing scheme that appears to permit large-scale marijuana cultivation and distribution, which would authorize conduct contrary to federal law and undermine the federal government's efforts to regulate the possession, manufacturing, and trafficking of controlled substances,'' Fein wrote. "Accordingly, the Department of Justice could consider civil and criminal legal remedies against those individuals and entities that set up marijuana growing facilities and dispensaries, as they will be doing so in violation of federal law.''

Fein focused directly on the potential sellers and distributors of marijuana, rather than those who would be using the drug. He noted in the letter that "the Department of Justice does not focus its limited resources on seriously ill individuals who use marijuana as part of a medically recommended treatment regimen in compliance with state law'' across the country.

But some of Wednesday's lengthy debate did not focus on the federal criminal aspects. Rep. Christopher Lyddy, a Newtown Democrat, stood up and said he would support the bill because of his family circumstances and the illness of his late father.

"My father wanted just enough energy and comfort to hold his three new grandchildren,'' Lyddy told his colleagues.

The debate in Connecticut has changed sharply since 2003, when the measure failed on the floor of the House after an emotional debate. The issue passed one year later, in 2004, by 75-71, but it has never been signed into law. After being passed by both chambers in 2007, the bill was vetoed by Republican Gov.M. Jodi Rell.

Rep. Gerald Fox III of Stamford, the co-chairman of the judiciary committee, noted that patients have testified to the committee that "the best relief that they get for their pain, the best relief they get for their respective illnesses, has been the use of marijuana.''

Prescriptions, he said, have made patients feel worse, and the only thing that they say can relieve their pain is marijuana. Nationwide, 16 states andWashington, D.C., have enacted a form of medical marijuana laws.

–Associated Press

MMJ_leaf_and_stethoscope_KY_ODCP_29.jpg

Source: Medical Marijuana Passed By Connecticut House Of Representatives - Courant.com

This is so sad. good luck finding a Lic. Doctor and a Lic. pharmacists to provide for this, This is the same bullshit law Maryland has. there is not one doctor in Maryland that will provide a prescription to a patient for MMJ in fear of losing their Lic to practice Med. If you even mention MMJ to your doctor here they throw you out of the office and note the request on your medical file. now with this on your file you can not get a prescription for any controlled medications because they now consider you a abuser of controlled substance and if the doctor gives you a prescript for say even a blood pressure Med. he is now an accomplice to your addictions to controlled substance.

wow thats some B.S. some people are just Extremely ignorant and are so brainwashed from all these generations of anti drug campaigns they dont know whats what anymore. it'd be almost luaghable if it wasnt so god damn sad. this world need a drastic change of course because as it stand were driving right into the guard rail at 90 and there dosent seem to be any looking back.

This is so sad. good luck finding a Lic. Doctor and a Lic. pharmacists to provide for this, This is the same bullshit law Maryland has. there is not one doctor in Maryland that will provide a prescription to a patient for MMJ in fear of losing their Lic to practice Med. If you even mention MMJ to your doctor here they throw you out of the office and note the request on your medical file. now with this on your file you can not get a prescription for any controlled medications because they now consider you a abuser of controlled substance and if the doctor gives you a prescript for say even a blood pressure Med. he is now an accomplice to your addictions to controlled substance.

on a good note though, at least CT is taking a step in the right direction, the more states that legalize this and then actually re enforce it, the quicker this country will stand together as a whole or at least a mojority of states that could speak out to over rule the government.
the government is supposed to be there to look over us not dictate us.

While there may be some courageous physicians willing to abandon their traditional practices and just do MMJ recommendations, no physician with anything to lose and no pharmacist anywhere in the state will cooperate with this BECAUSE THE DEA WILL YANK THEIR DEA REGISTRATION IMMEDIATELY AND PERMANENTLY, destroying their careers. Pharmacists can't handle controlled substances without one, and physicians can't prescribe, administer, or utilize them without one.

Massive MMJ statute liberalization FAIL.

yes this is true however you have to think positivly, at least this a step in the right direction to say "hey, yes we get it, cannabis might actually have some medical benefits" and they are fighting for it! thats a good thing in my eyes because its just one more stone in the great wall of china ;)

I still feel much better knowing that the state that I reside in is heading towards the right direction. Even though I think labeling a plant like Cannabis, a "drug" for the use of getting a "license" to grow it is also "half way" re-legalizing it.

My faith in our representatives here in CT, has been lifted up a notch... I've witnessed what seems to be an "awakening" on the Capitol's floor. They are asking the same questions that have been mentioned here too.

What's next? I guess I could go on living in a lesser fear based society and do what I can to keep myself out of the feds way... Fuck them!

Back
Top Bottom