Crossing a photo with an auto

thebear88

what would happen if I had a hermie photoperiod in the same grow area as an autoflower?
would the autoflower get pollenated ?
would the seeds be all feminized?
what type of strain would the seeds produce?
would the seeds be autos or would they be photos?
would they be a mix of both?

I have 2 photoperiods in my grow area along with a 20 something day old autoflower I'm doing 12/12 on. The photos are in week 5 of flower and I have noticed one of them have turned hermie then then the other one did too.

whats going to happen to the autoflower now?
Will it get pollenated when its in the flower period?
And if so what type of seeds will I end up with?

this is my first grow and I feel i have stressed the plant for not providing the right type of environment, so I have more than likely caused this, one of the plants started off in a crap diy growbox I was experimenting with until the timmer and fans screwed up.

if I get seeds aswell as weed I will still be happy,
any advise would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    865.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    987.3 KB · Views: 148
@BeanTownFan420 is correct, the offspring will be 25% auto and 75% photo. So 1 in 4 seeds would be auto. Regardless, if it’s a hermie it’ll carry that trait to the offspring, which is not good. If you took the offspring and crossed 2 of the auto seeds then you’d get 100% auto. From what I recall.

Auto plants must be crossed with other auto plants to still be auto from what i understand.If crossed with a photo all offspring will be photo the dominant gene.
So photoperiods is PP. and autos is pp. Together is Pp... the big P is domenent and the p. Is resessive, so 75% photos and 25% auto, will the seeds still carry the traits of hermie ism even tho it hermied because of me?

@BeanTownFan420 is correct, the offspring will be 25% auto and 75% photo. So 1 in 4 seeds would be auto. Regardless, if it’s a hermie it’ll carry that trait to the offspring, which is not good. If you took the offspring and crossed 2 of the auto seeds then you’d get 100% auto. From what I recall.
The plant definitely hermied because of the way started my grow, interupted light and not the right airflow and humidity, sounds like I can use the seeds and the 1 out of 4 autos would be ready before the photos if grew together under 18/6 for 4 weeks

Look up Mendel squares. If the Photo plant is full photo (PP) the offspring will be photos with one recessive gene (Pp). If the photo is part auto (Pp) then you'll have 50% autos (pp) and 50% photos (Pp). It's kind of like blue eyes. Two people with blue eyes can never conceive a brown eyed child, but two people with brown eyes can have a blue eyed child if they both have the recessive blue eyed gene.

what would happen if I had a hermie photoperiod in the same grow area as an autoflower?
would the autoflower get pollenated ?
would the seeds be all feminized?
what type of strain would the seeds produce?
would the seeds be autos or would they be photos?
would they be a mix of both?

I have 2 photoperiods in my grow area along with a 20 something day old autoflower I'm doing 12/12 on. The photos are in week 5 of flower and I have noticed one of them have turned hermie then then the other one did too.

whats going to happen to the autoflower now?
Will it get pollenated when its in the flower period?
And if so what type of seeds will I end up with?

this is my first grow and I feel i have stressed the plant for not providing the right type of environment, so I have more than likely caused this, one of the plants started off in a crap diy growbox I was experimenting with until the timmer and fans screwed up.

if I get seeds aswell as weed I will still be happy,
any advise would be greatly appreciated
mute question really. Auto CAN NOT pollinate a photo

I have nothing to add here but another question. Can you all point me in the direction to where you find some of this information? I never took a biology class in my life, it wasn't a requirement at the time for me to graduate as long as I took other science courses like AP physics and chemistry. The graduating class after mine was required to take two biologycl courses, anyways a lot of this is Greek to me. I know @CanadianJim mentions Mendel Squares, which I have seen and understand the basics of, but I could always know more so I will do a further Googling on that. It seems every time I try and Google marijuana breeding or genetics all I get is the very simple boilerplate type information that this is how plants are reversed to make feminized seeds or the other basic information I already know. I'd like to know more about recessive traits and probability when it comes to F1...F3, S1, Bx, etc., as well as information on other, more advanced breeding techniques. If any of you have a good reference to any published research or scholarly articles on the subject, please let me know, it would be greatly appreciated. I may have to dip over to the Pollen Chuckers Paradise and ask around over there too.

Sorry for hijacking your thread @thebear88

mute question really. Auto CAN NOT pollinate a photo
Pretty sure that's not true. I think some strains were made my pollinating a photo plant with auto pollen, and others did the reverse, pollinating an auto with photo pollen.
I have no examples, but anyone who had an auto hermie that pollinated a photo female, or had an auto hermie right beside a flowering photo female that didn't get pollinated, please speak up. And any breeders who have crossed autos and photos as well.

My scientist dad taught me to ask "By what mechanism?" any time someone says something like that.

Pretty sure that's not true. I think some strains were made my pollinating a photo plant with auto pollen, and others did the reverse, pollinating an auto with photo pollen.
I have no examples, but anyone who had an auto hermie that pollinated a photo female, or had an auto hermie right beside a flowering photo female that didn't get pollinated, please speak up. And any breeders who have crossed autos and photos as well.

My scientist dad taught me to ask "By what mechanism?" any time someone says something like that.
@carcass bred his LRx from an auto and photo. I have 3 growing in my yard, one of them is flowering for about 10 days, the others not so much. The 25% thing may be true. Definitely can be successfully crossbred though.

Me personally have never seen/ heard of that. Although nature is funny so..
When I first started growing I did so with autos before moving on to Photos. I've read a ton of info and not one pc of literature states that can happen. Not saying it couldn't though. People seem to think of they find seeds in their weed it hermie. Not always the case. Could be plant 2 Mike's away! Plus I've been growing at least a decade n I always plant at least one auto with my other 2 photos. I'm impatient sometimes so the auto gives me something to tend to while photos doing their thing. I've never had that happen

Nope dont believe you sorry it's not an auto then
I don’t really care what you believe. You’ve been growing for a decade? Awesome. I have been growing for 3 decades.
If it isn't what I say it is, then I have a true miracle happening with the mother of those clones, who is a month into flowering under 19 hours of light.
Just because you’ve never done it doesn’t mean it’s not possible.
Edit: just to clear up another part of this argument, this is from the seedsman website:
Gelat.OG Auto was bred by crossing Gelato, itself a cross of the Platinum pheno of Girl Scout Cookies and Sunset Sherbet, together with an OG Kush Auto male plant.
This also happens to be the variety I have successfully cloned, twice. Mother and clone both flowering under 19/5.

Me personally have never seen/ heard of that. Although nature is funny so..
When I first started growing I did so with autos before moving on to Photos. I've read a ton of info and not one pc of literature states that can happen. Not saying it couldn't though. People seem to think of they find seeds in their weed it hermie. Not always the case. Could be plant 2 Mike's away! Plus I've been growing at least a decade n I always plant at least one auto with my other 2 photos. I'm impatient sometimes so the auto gives me something to tend to while photos doing their thing. I've never had that happen
I have a seed here, Black Amnesia Haze Fast. The stated lineage is an Amnesia Haze crossed with a Black Domina Auto. Since it's feminized I don't know which was pollinated and which was reversed. But they can be bred together. I have never heard of there being a secret process by which autos and photos are bred which is only known by breeders. I guess there could be, but still, you would think someone would have mentioned it by now.

Look up Mendel squares. If the Photo plant is full photo (PP) the offspring will be photos with one recessive gene (Pp). If the photo is part auto (Pp) then you'll have 50% autos (pp) and 50% photos (Pp). It's kind of like blue eyes. Two people with blue eyes can never conceive a brown eyed child, but two people with brown eyes can have a blue eyed child if they both have the recessive blue eyed gene.
my girlfriend has puppy litters every now and then, and she uses them punnet squares to bring out the right colours in the dogs coats so I guess its the same with that, thanks for you imput, very hard just reading about it, id rather talk to ppl who know about it,

Back
Top Bottom