Curing the buds

tomatofarmer

Welcome, i've been reading up on the curing of the buds after harvest. (just preparing myself) i am no where near the point of curing but i am interested on techniques and methods.

Mostly im am wondering about those vacuum seal food storage bags, I haven't seen a lot of stuff on it but the one time i saw it done it was from a reputable source. since then i have seen nothing on it.

When i saw it done it cut curing time down by a significant amount becasue of the quick equal dry the vacuum seal gave. Airing them out (burping) was still involved as well.

If you want to share your curing techniques or anything to do with the vacuum seal bags, your input would be appreciated. (if its really strain specific its not really helping i got bag seeds, and even if i didnt most likely i wouldn't have your strain anyways)

Re: Curing the buds.

I treat bud exactly like cigars. For curing my recommendation would be to get it down to, and then maintain it, at 68% RH, or as close to this as possible.

I keep a mini hygrometer and a "puck" (contains RH beads and keeps everything at 68% RH) in with the weed in airtight glass jars.

So after hanging the weed for 5 days or so to dry (just until the stem snaps) I put it in the glass jar with the digital hygrometer. If it's too high I burp it until it comes down, and once it hits around 70% I chuck the puck in and maintain it. Over time the weed cures perfectly and you could maintain it for years and years like this, just as with cigars.

Cigar websites will sell them.

They come in other sizes or you can buy the RH beads and make your own. You just add a bit of distilled water to them and if the humidity gets too high it lowers it, and if too low it raises it.

I just keep it in the jar permanently. I add a small amount of distilled water to the rh beads in the puck every couple of weeks and let it do its thing. If you wanted to be really fancy you could you invest in a nice humidor for your weed!

I'm not familiar with the vacuum seal method though mate

The puck thingy seems nice!

I've only done one harvest and cure before, will do another in like 9 or soo weeks. but to give you some input of what i learned so far.

it was done as follows.

1* get a good chair, a good work space is a-o if your gona be sitting there for several hours
2* a good pair of scissors, pref real garden scissor, the one with the spring that pushes the handle back is what i like =)
3* cut every branch so that u atleast got one node left on it, for hanging.
4* trim the newly cut branches to your liking (all big leafs off and the sugar leafs you dont want left on your buds)
5* tie a string or simular in your drying space, hang all the branches on it and let it sit for 3-6 days, go in a few times every day and bend on some stems, the ones that snapp are ready for the nugget factory, others that are still soft you let hang a while more.

do step 1-2 again

trim your buds of the stems, and give them a final manicure if needed.

next step is how i ldid my cure. Some go straight to jar and just burbs it a little bit more

i place all the nuggets in a paper grocery bag, multiple if needed and fill them with about 10cm (4") in each bag.
and for the first 2 days i give the bags a mild shake (just tilt the bag so all the nuggets roll around a little and put it back in a dark and cold place) a few times every day, 2-3 times or more depending on how moist they are. oh and keep the bag folded so you dont let out the moisture to fast. do this till u feel satisfy with your nuggets, for me it was about 3 days, they skould sound a bit crunchy when u take a nugget to your ear and give it light squeeze.

then put them in the yars, and vent 1-2 times for 10min every day, and again, keep on shaking those jars, even take all the nuggs out and put them back in, just to realy air them and to not get any nasty mold on them.

after 1-2 weeks of burping they can be smoked or long term stored.

I learnt this from another guy on a diff forum, and im really happy with the result it gave me, nice a smooth smoking and excellent flavour!

i can only recomend you this on the experience on one time use, but it was also my first. so i would say it's fool proof =)

best of luck with your upcomming harvest

/cheese

About the ´Vaccum sealed method, never done it or read about it before. i know ppl do it for shipping reasons, but as of personal use i would not do it, why ?

Well when u vaccum the bags, you will allso squeeze your buds and therby destroy their texture and feel. i dont like packed budds, dense hell yeah, but packed together gives me a tear in my eye =(. buds shall be lightly stacked on each other in a air tight jar.

Just my honest opinion =)

I watched a really good youtube video on the vacuum seal it was easy to find. What im worried about is the "420 Curing your bud" says some people cure for up to months.

The benifit of the vacuum seal (at least from the video i watched) Is it gives the buds a quick even dry without hurting the quality of the bud.

If anyone elses opionion or knowledge on the vacuum seal method please share, and how long do you guys (with normal methods) usually cure for?

Cigar websites will sell them.

They come in other sizes or you can buy the RH beads and make your own. You just add a bit of distilled water to them and if the humidity gets too high it lowers it, and if too low it raises it.

REALLY....seriously......really! I have been useing the hygrometers for 2 years and burping...then I have to add a fresh picked fan leaf to raise the humidity if it got below like 62%. I prefer my buds about 63% humidity. 68% seems a little to moist but I think its personal preference at that point. As long as its still cureing and not molding.

Cona

HUH...I will look at the pucks

Man...just hang them till the stems in the thickest bud snaps then jar them up for 3 days then just burp 3 times a week for an hour or 2 for 2 weeks...DONE. When the humidity in the jar maintains 63% for 4 days straight without opening they are safe for storage long term.

By the way...you dont have to wait for them to cure for a year....just smoke em when they are dry enuff 2 smoke if ya want. The longer they cure the smoother the smoke.

Back
Top Bottom