Cut 95% of fan leaves off 3 weeks into flower - I always wanted to try this

Re: Cut 95% of fan leaves off 3 weeks into flower...I always wanted to try this.

I did it all through Veg , shaping a redneck Manifold. then during flowers and keeping it clear for buds to get light...
I was going through and trimming once a week... and it was filling back up.
As it was... I flipped 12/12 too early... But it was only a 5 ft tall tent.
I was taking pix every 5 days on one group... The Buds kept getting bigger and fatter...
I'll post them here if requested...
Plus... Looking for more AMBER , I let the buds go too long.
and I got seeds through Rodelization... KOOL
These are feminized seeds !!!
I've just put about 20 of them in cups after germination...
My little tent is CRAMMED with plants ready to plant outside.
Just waiting for temperatures to warm up more.

PS... Yes, you hear so much against it...
For those who've had success , they love it and want more
For the ones who either didn't defoliate enough...
or did it to an unwilling plant...or just THINK it's a bad idea...
They knock it.
It's said it's best for indoor plants.
But I've seen the more experienced do a little on outdoor growing.
that's more at the end of the budding stage...
I'm going to try that on some of my crop this season.

Re: Cut 95% of fan leaves off 3 weeks into flower...I always wanted to try this.

Just thought I'd add to this one...

2_Dec_12_-_Bud_progress_.JPG

3_Dec_18_-_Bud_growth.JPG

4_Dec_23_-_Bud_Growth.JPG

I wish i had the balls to destroy such amazing looking plants. How long have they been like this?

At first , Cutting your babies down IS a weird feeling...
I waited too long with these , and I got feminized seeds through rodelization
Kool... I didn't know... But I do now.
If you LEAVE a few buds on your plant...
Even AUTOS can make seeds by rodelization...Look it up

I recently done it to a trainwreck auto i cleared all big leaves all the way to end of branch.My thinking is instead of putting energy into them leaves it should allow more light onto plant and more to the flowers.Mine loves it buds just burst

I defoliated my two girls and the buds got way bigger plus the smaller sites sprang up and grew buds where there wasnt any b4
20160423_082048.jpg
20160423_082036.jpg
20160423_082026.jpg

I'm sorry guys, but this is the biggest crock of shite I think I've ever heard! How anyone can actually claim bigger growth after removing the ONLY part of the plant that is used for photosynthesis is beyond me! Just because you get more light to the buds means nothing, the buds don't do photosynthesis, so when you remove the leaves, where are the plants going to go through the process of photosynthesis?

Also, everyone doing this, then posting pics, your plants look really small to me, not one of you has the growth I would have for the period of flower each of you are in.

Look, forget about wives tales and just deal with the scientific facts of plants and how they grow, you're taught in high school about the process of photosynthesis, so if you're considering removing all the fan leaves, you clearly didn't pay attention! The only fan leaves that should be removed are ones from the centre of the canopy, the ones that don't get much if any light, so the plant uses fuel to maintain these leaves that don't get any light for photosynthesis, therefore they are useless and should be removed, any fan leaves that ARE getting the required amount of light should be left as they're the factory floor as it were for photosynthesis and plant growth.

I'm sorry guys, but this is the biggest crock of shite I think I've ever heard! How anyone can actually claim bigger growth after removing the ONLY part of the plant that is used for photosynthesis is beyond me! Just because you get more light to the buds means nothing, the buds don't do photosynthesis, so when you remove the leaves, where are the plants going to go through the process of photosynthesis?

Also, everyone doing this, then posting pics, your plants look really small to me, not one of you has the growth I would have for the period of flower each of you are in.

Look, forget about wives tales and just deal with the scientific facts of plants and how they grow, you're taught in high school about the process of photosynthesis, so if you're considering removing all the fan leaves, you clearly didn't pay attention! The only fan leaves that should be removed are ones from the centre of the canopy, the ones that don't get much if any light, so the plant uses fuel to maintain these leaves that don't get any light for photosynthesis, therefore they are useless and should be removed, any fan leaves that ARE getting the required amount of light should be left as they're the factory floor as it were for photosynthesis and plant growth.

I believe in controlled defol. But I also understand how "die back" works. this is when the plant uses the huge reservoirs of nutrients -- The fan leaves -- to make up for deficiencies. I grow autos. I do my first minor defol somewhere between week 4 and 6 depending on the girl. This is more of a lollypop. I remove the oldest lower fans and some undesirable bud sites.
You are 100% right about the leaves being the sole location for photosynthesis.....and its only the top of the leave. Light from underneath is useless.
I never cut a leaf that is less than 2-3 weeks old, and believe that a light lst (spreading) and removing a few of the shadow leaves from between the bud towers is the best bet.
I also believe it is hasty to make "definite" claims until the experiment was conducted with CLONES ONLY. To say, "I cut my fan leaves and my buds are huge" is not the same thing as saying "my buds are huge BECAUSE I cut my fan leaves".
The plant needs some leaves.

You should be more careful with your words if you don't really know what your talking about. Just because something does not work for you for whatever the reason. That does not mean that it doesn't work for those who really know how to do it. You assume way to much...

It works great for me( I grow indoor with LED and DWC) and many others. But you do need to know what your doing. I have done plenty of testing with clones over the years. It may add a week or two onto a grow. But it can more then double the yield.

I would much rather grow buds then leaves.

Here are some guides for you.

Increasing yield with defoliation indoors - What's it mean? How to do it?

Controversial Technique Increases Marijuana Yields... But At What Cost? - General Growing Information: - Michigan Medical Marijuana Association

You should be more careful with your words if you don't really know what your talking about. Just because something does not work for you for whatever the reason. That does not mean that it doesn't work for those who really know how to do it. You assume way to much...

It works great for me( I grow indoor with LED and DWC) and many others. But you do need to know what your doing. I have done plenty of testing with clones over the years. It may add a week or two onto a grow. But it can more then double the yield.

I would much rather grow buds then leaves.

Here are some guides for you.

Increasing yield with defoliation indoors - What's it mean? How to do it?

Controversial Technique Increases Marijuana Yields... But At What Cost? - General Growing Information: - Michigan Medical Marijuana Association

Good read, thank you for the post. The second defol shown in the first link looks close to the way I do mine, but this guy probably went 25-30% further than I ever have...and he did it twice. I cut the same leaves, just not quite so many. This is where the light LST comes in. Like I said, I grow autos, but since the defol I do seems to work with them, I may try going a bit harder.

Well its done now...I always wanted to know what would happen..After all Im trying to grow flowers not leaves..Last grow I went and took them off at 40 days..And my buds are awesome...best I ever had..SO TO HELL WITH ALL THE TALK...WE WILL SEE WHAT WE SEE..I have to say a lot of advice i get aint worth much...some is...Soon I will know the truth

question: was that 40 days after switch to 12/12 or 40 days after buds started showing?

I agree with others that the defoiled plants shown look under sized if not unappealing. But we can't be looking at amatures / newer growers for good defoil examples , this theory needs an honest experienced grower to conduct a scientifically run test. When I devolp some clones I will run such a test.

I was considering doing it also, but hesitant because the plant is put into flower while very small to get an early harvest. There isn't much shading right now, but it is just starting to flower and may get that way later. The reasons given for doing it has a logic to it, but also removing the photosynthesis fan leaves troubles me too. Very small plant like mine may not benefit from removing fan leaves.

I've experience with fruit tree horticulture and in fruit trees....one leaf in direct light is about equal to 9 leaves of shade produces.

BTW it is grapefruit c-99. Not sure how Cindy responds to removing fan leaves?

Fusebyte / bckush how are the results thus far? Anyone else have any results good or bad? Has anyone done the same strain with and without Defoliation? If was there a difference in yield?

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Fusebyte / bckush how are the results thus far? Anyone else have any results good or bad? Has anyone done the same strain with and without Defoliation? If was there a difference in yield?

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Here are some pics for tonight...

20170209_221641.jpg

Main cola
20170209_222731.jpg

Looks good to me :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom