DA Saying Little About Search Warrants

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
LONG BEACH - Police and prosecutors remained tight-lipped Friday about a series of search warrants served at local marijuana dispensaries Thursday.

The office of Los Angeles County District Attorney Steve Cooley confirmed Friday it is working with the Long Beach Police Department on an investigation into illegal sales of marijuana at various medical marijuana dispensaries, said spokeswoman Jane Robison.

"Because of the ongoing status of the investigation we can't say anything else at this time," Robison said Friday.

Long Beach police Cmdr. Laura Farinella confirmed for the Press-Telegram on Thursday that the police department's Narcotics Division was working with other officers on the force and the district attorney's office to serve warrants at several locations that had generated numerous complaints from neighbors about illegal, over-the-counter sales of pot.

Police and the prosecutor's office declined Thursday and Friday to identify the locations that were served in what authorities called an "enforcement" operation.

Officials said more information may be made public in the coming week.

Chris Glew, an attorney representing a cooperative located on Fourth Street at Elm Avenue, said he has yet to see any documentation from authorities who served warrants at his clients' business and home, but he insisted the dispensary has always operated within the state's Compassionate Use laws.

Glew, a criminal defense attorney who specializes in medical marijuana cases, said authorities couldn't have gotten it more wrong when they focused on the Downtown cooperative.

"These guys are the Mother Theresa of collectives," Glew said Friday, noting that the cooperative has pooled its resources to not only provide medical marijuana for its indigent members at reduced costs or free, the group has also helped install handicap-accessible ramps and related items in the homes of a number of its more infirm and elderly members.

He and other owners of local clubs - all of whom spoke on condition of anonymity - said officers served warrants not only at the dispensaries but at the homes of the cooperatives' owners and employees.

"They must have used at least 100 cops and for what? To hassle people who are compliant with a law that police or the DA don't like," said the owner of one local medical marijuana dispensary.

Glew made similar points, noting that the district attorney and the police department "appear to be operating under the theory that everything is illegal, they seem to interpret any collective or dispensary is operating against the voter's initiative."

The initiative outlined by Prop. 215 - the compassionate use act that legalized marijuana for California patients suffering from debilitating conditions and disorders - was passed by voters in 1996.

Patients seek permission to use marijuana from doctors under both Prop. 215 and a follow-up 2003 law, which clarified the original proposition and ordered counties to issue identification cards to patients.

Arguments over how to distribute the drug, however, have simmered on national, state and local levels ever since the 1996 vote.

"All this boils down to a pissing match between the city and Cooley," Glew added, referring to the district attorney's warning last month to Los Angeles city officials as they were discussing a marijuana ordinance for dispensaries in their city.

Cooley said in November that over-the-counter sales of cannabis are not allowed by either of the laws pertaining to medical marijuana.

In previous court cases, Glew said, the district attorney's prosecutors have made it clear to him that the district attorney's position is most of the people using medical marijuana are young and don't appear sick or injured in any way.

Glew, however, strongly cautioned against people relying on how someone looks to determine if they are a patient.

"There are plenty of people suffering with MS or HIV and you wouldn't know it to look at them," he said.

As for the charge about complaints regarding local dispensaries, Glew and other dispensary supporters said Thursday was the first time anyone had heard about complaints.

"I'd like to see some kind of record of the calls or letters or whatever they received," said a manager of one of the cooperatives.

Glew countered that if authorities are really concerned about people abusing the prescription identification system they should focus on physicians wrongly issuing the ID cards rather than the cooperatives, who serve all patients.

Glew, who recently won a case for one of the co-owners of the Downtown Long Beach cooperative who was charged in Riverside, added he is confident his clients in Long Beach will be vindicated as well.

"I work with a lot of cooperatives and this place is probably one of the most heavily checked, they verify all the patient's statements and they are in compliance 100 percent," he said. "To even insinuate ( illegal over-the-counter sales were being made ) is preposterous."

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Long Beach Press-Telegram (CA)
Copyright: 2009 Los Angeles Newspaper Group
Author: Tracy Manzer

O.M.G. They're selling Cannabis over the counter in a dispensary?? Wake up stupid,,,Thats what dispensaries are for...:roorrip:

These dispensary owners need to get there shit together and get together and file a class action lawsuit against these thugs in government that keep violating there rights.

Why the hell doesn't the "Governator" call a cease-fire until the useless LA city council can come to grips about dispensaries? Talk about harassment. He's obviously ready to legalize the whole shebang and should stand up and be counted again. I love the Governator and I'm a Canuck for cryin' out loud.

GO ARNIE GO!

I might be paranoid but do you think that maybe the Fed has a hand in this? Or maybe it's just some of those dinosaur headed council members strutting their stuff?

Makes me go . . . Hmmm . . .

I might be paranoid but do you think that maybe the Fed has a hand in this? Or maybe it's just some of those dinosaur headed council members strutting their stuff?

Makes me go . . . Hmmm . . .

if the DEA had anything to do with it and it were then to be found out, it would put the President in the unfortunate position to appear as though he is not in control as head executive. so my guess is no, it wasn't the feds.

i don't know much about LA politics, but on the surface it appears to be the work of an arrogant DA and a police chief who is too old school for his own good. throw in a few philosophically aligned judges to issue the search warrants and you have this crazy mess that is in direct opposition to the will of the people.

I agree with you, it seems about time for the Governor to provide leadership on this issue. I understand the need to allow local communities to decide how best to facilitate medical cannabis, but it has been 13 years already, it is past time for an established protocol. if the city is going to error, it needs to error on the side of the dispensaries and tell the cops to back the fuck off and go catch some real criminals.

The will of the people is the last thing on Cooley's mind. Doesn't he have better things to do with his time and our money? I just don't know what he hopes to gain from harassing people for no reason. No one is going to be prosecuted. He is just wasting time and money pushing his agenda against the wishes of the people who pay his salary.

Sounds just like the actions of the San Diego COunty DA/LE actions in September.

Another case of the Elected official's Moral views going against the will of the people.

Back
Top Bottom