Defoliate?

Still a novice here, but I think it is pretty typical to do some leave trimming as the "stretch" slows down in flowering. That is often around day 21. The goal is to allow light to hit buds and penetrate deeper into the canopy. But defoliation has a lot of heated debates (or at least passionate opinions). Some are very aggressive in removing lots of leaves, while others leave things pretty much au naturel, a limit to tucking fan leaves only. One side argues that buds need light to fatten up and stack, whereas others believe that the fan leaves are the generator of energy that feed the buds.

Personally, I think removing some leaves very low down is a good idea, if only for air circulation. But there is lots of room for interpretation, and for you to do what you think is best.

I remove most of the lower leaves and tiny branches that don't get any light,
for air circulation below the canopy.
But if the upper leaves aren't blocking anything,they get to stay.

By the time you're 21 days into flowering,most of the bud sites that are going to amount to anything are up above most of the leaves anyway....if a fan leaf does start to block a bud,and tucking it won't keep it out of the way,I'll snip it.

When I used to grow outdoors,I never defoliated anything because the sun moving across the sky would pretty much allow light to get to all parts of the plant in the course of a day- but indoors,where the light only comes from directly above the plant,it's more important because once a budsite is blocked,it'll generally stay blocked until you intervene with the clippers.

This is just how I do it,it's far from the only way to defoliate...my way would be considered minor defoliating,some folks go at it more agressively.

I remove most of the lower leaves and tiny branches that don't get any light,
for air circulation below the canopy.
But if the upper leaves aren't blocking anything,they get to stay.

By the time you're 21 days into flowering,most of the bud sites that are going to amount to anything are up above most of the leaves anyway....if a fan leaf does start to block a bud,and tucking it won't keep it out of the way,I'll snip it.

When I used to grow outdoors,I never defoliated anything because the sun moving across the sky would pretty much allow light to get to all parts of the plant in the course of a day- but indoors,where the light only comes from directly above the plant,it's more important because once a budsite is blocked,it'll generally stay blocked until you intervene with the clippers.

This is just how I do it,it's far from the only way to defoliate...my way would be considered minor defoliating,some folks go at it more agressively.

Well said!

Still a novice here, but I think it is pretty typical to do some leave trimming as the "stretch" slows down in flowering. That is often around day 21. The goal is to allow light to hit buds and penetrate deeper into the canopy. But defoliation has a lot of heated debates (or at least passionate opinions). Some are very aggressive in removing lots of leaves, while others leave things pretty much au naturel, a limit to tucking fan leaves only. One side argues that buds need light to fatten up and stack, whereas others believe that the fan leaves are the generator of energy that feed the buds.

Personally, I think removing some leaves very low down is a good idea, if only for air circulation. But there is lots of room for interpretation, and for you to do what you think is best.
I'm for leaving them alone but leave one alone and do one and see what you think.

I'm for leaving them alone but leave one alone and do one and see what you think.

I did a pretty light defol just before flipping to 12/12 about two weeks ago. Next weekend, around Day 21 of flower, I will go at them again, but still, will be more on the light end of the spectrum. Some of the examples of defoliation that I have seen are quite extreme!

I kind of did a light defoliation and pruning on mine a couple weeks ago. They fill back in fast and I actually did less than I did on my second grow because someone on here reminded me that fan leaves bring light energy to the plant and if you cut them off you're going to lose quite a bit of energy. Like someone said above do one and don't do one and then see how everything turns out at Harvest

This is a 100% learning experience for me. And I can bet even people who've been growing for 20 years still learn.

Absolutely! I am still really new as well, but even long-timers will share that they learn something new with every grow. That is a big part of the fun and the challenge, I think.

If I'm doing a tight thick scrog the more I do. Basically I do for airflow more than anything, by week 3 I pull out super pale or growing back crap on the stocks. I work from the top down first to increase air flow. Take in consideration that sugar leaves will grow up some. I don't go all the way through to the scrog net as I like to keep a layer of leaves to catch all the light so it don't get wasted if it passes thru. Main focus is continue to catch as much light as possible and prevent plant sweat later when buds fill in.

Thanks for all the replies. I will do some light defoliating tonight... I love this site. People are so willing to give advice and help us newbies all the time... thank you all... I've been lurking behind the scenes for a few months now. I've gained so much valuable information.........

Good luck with your defoliation, and the balance of your grow! Keep us posted as it goes. Maybe think about starting a journal? They are fun for all of us to read, and can be pretty helpful for your own reference to go back to at a later date. Lots of folks on here ready to help you if have other questions.

Back
Top Bottom