Defoliating Autoflowers too much or not? Advice please

Grower2020

I've been defoliating about every 4 days . The more I defoliate it seems the more shoots get light and therefore more tops will be the end result .I see so much bs about defoliating destroying yields. I can imagine it would if you stripped the plants lol but I just don't really see any negative side effects from doing it . Yes the plant doesn't go vertical as fast if you defoliate and lst but instead of having one cola with shaded shoots underneath that don't really end up being as productive. You end up with 12+ main colas if you defoliate consistently and on time and don't over do it or under do it .
I have defoliated about 3 times now in 23 days from seed and it looks as though after this recent defoliation as seen in the pics which were taken 5 minutes ago I will have around 12-14 colas after stretch. They have just shown me their sex and I hope the flourishing small shoots will all become colas . Thoughts on how many colas I'm looking at here on each of these plants roughly please ? Keep in mind there only day 23 so there is about 2 weeks of solid stretch between now and the end of veg . I'll wait for your comments . Most appreciated

20210529_190619.jpg

20210529_190701.jpg

20210529_190710.jpg

20210529_190740.jpg

20210529_190818.jpg

By my understanding and a lot of looking up is that when it comes to auto flowers they can't take high or low stress training very well for they fact from seed to harvest it usually only takes 2-3 months. So, unlike photos which can take about 4 months plus to harvest they don't have time to heal and replace leaves that are removed. Not only are you messing with the leaves but your messing with your yield as well. Auto flowerings are set to produce so much bud per plant already. I wouldn't remove no more leaves okay. I'm growing some Photo seeds right now you can check my grow journal out to see how an auto and photo grows differently

By my understanding and a lot of looking up is that when it comes to auto flowers they can't take high or low stress training very well for they fact from seed to harvest it usually only takes 2-3 months. So, unlike photos which can take about 4 months plus to harvest they don't have time to heal and replace leaves that are removed. Not only are you messing with the leaves but your messing with your yield as well. Auto flowerings are set to produce so much bud per plant already. I wouldn't remove no more leaves okay. I'm growing show Photo seeds right now you can check my grow journal out to see how an auto and photo grows differently
Thanks for your reply and input I appreciate it . It will be hard to stop doing it that's the only thing. I've always had amazing results when I lst and either top or heavily defoliate . When ever I have neglected to do this in the past my yields have not been as plentiful as when I treat the plant harshly .
For every leave I take off...two more shoots underneath the canopy take off into full growth in replace of the removed leaves. I think it can be dangerous if you are inexperienced , but I believe inexperienced growers can get much better yields even with autoflowers and of those growers while I not defoliate . It's actually recommended with zkittlez auto to lst, and top multiple times . Strains have a lot to do with it also I believe.

No problem. So you have done this with other auto flowers? I have grown before 2 other times but now that I way older and have my own space I can do a lot more grown but the grow I have going on is my first real grow using a grow tent honestly. It's also my first time do low and high stress training as well so it seems like you know more about the training than I do lol. I just learn by doing a lot of researching honestly. But, if you have any good advice to give me please go ahead and educate me a little

With an autoflower you're risking stressing it.
IF you can't open up the plant via LST to get lower bud sites more light and airflow then some minor defoliation and I mean minor can be advantageous but stripping a plant daily is just forcing the plant to continuously keep regrowing leaves instead of spending that energy growing bud.
And an autoflower in general is only vegging for just 3 weeks, 4 tops.

With an autoflower you're risking stressing it.
IF you can't open up the plant via LST to get lower bud sites more light and airflow then some minor defoliation and I mean minor can be advantageous but stripping a plant daily is just forcing the plant to continuously keep regrowing leaves instead of spending that energy growing bud.
And an autoflower in general is only vegging for just 3 weeks, 4 tops.
Yeah I usually defoliate about 3 times until about one week after pistol hairs are first spotted . But only the bigger leaves none of the smaller newer leaves with premature new shoots on them. I'll probably defoliate once during actual flowering also. Probably mid flower .

careful with defol in flower. they will not produce more leaves after the switch, what you have going in is all you are gonna get to make it home.

careful with defol in flower. they will not produce more leaves after the switch, what you have going in is all you are gonna get to make it home.
There's plenty of fresh leaves left on there that will come on in size yet. I'll only be doing one more defoliation from now which will be in about 3 weeks time and it will only be a strategic defol to allow light into really shady spots . Not a ton of leaves. I never heavy defoliate anyway . Only been taking 4leaves off each plant each time during veg.

you shouldn't even defol photos past the 2wk mark after flip.

i run extensive training and defol in hempy. much more aggressive than most on the board. there's a point of no return and loss with defol.

edit : just be careful how deep you go.

Autos can handle lst fine. Your veg time is usually pretty set with autos, flower time can be extended- but is not for starters.
When it comes to autos and defoliation I'd give this a good read, I agree with multivortex.

Autos can handle lst fine. Your veg time is usually pretty set with autos, flower time can be extended- but is not for starters.
When it comes to autos and defoliation I'd give this a good read, I agree with multivortex.
I've used my defol methods for about 15 years now and it's never let me down producing fat swollen nugs.

I've used my defol methods for about 15 years now and it's never let me down producing fat swollen nugs.

then why ask for advice ?
i'd just carry on if it works for you.

You just click the part where it says watch on YouTube. Or search YouTube for black dog led commercial grow and check how heavy they defoliate during flowering. Almost strip them clean

I never grow autos but just be careful doing too much to it because they don't have extra time to make up the leaves that your taking off it can stun its growth if doing too much defoliate and that goes with photo plants as well...as long as it works for you just continue it but i would like to see the outcome when the girls are done!!!

Leaves generate and store energy - that's why leaves yellow during senescence
Growing leaves then cutting them off is literally a waste of energy in my view, and neither necessary nor beneficial
Sure, trim a few fan leaves to allow for more light penetration, and maybe a few more in late flower for circulation, but otherwise simple LST seems to work best for most people

All I grow are autos- I'll admit that I don't have anywhere near 15 years eexperience. That being said....
then why ask for advice ?
i'd just carry on if it works for you.
Couldn't have worded it better....

I like my Autos, big & bushy. If your worried about bottom sites, do a staggered harvest.

I admit I am bias when it comes to defoliation, I do as little as possible even to large photo-periods and in the few autoflowers I've grown i doubt I've ever snipped more than a leaf or two.
I just try to spread autos outward a little just for better airflow and bit more light.
IMO stripping leaves off does nothing but take mobile nutrients stored in those leaves away from the bud which that plant spent a lot of time and energy creating.
Autoflowers I think get between 8 to 12 colas on average so should be reasonably easy to just do light LST and get all the light needed to each cola, they remind me of just a big bouquet with one taller cola in the middle and most of the others fairly evenly around it.

Hey MG - don't want to piss on your strawberries, but there is all sorts of shite on YouTube
Forget it and read YOUR plant, it don't look too healthy at the mo, it looks tired
A plant will produce a certain yield, so you can have a few fat buds or a handful of popcorn - take your pick
Yes there are techniques to improve yield but first and foremost you need a healthy plant, never mind chopping it up cos some guy on YouTube says so and says he got 2lb off it
Sure, it'll grow more leaves but it'll be knackered and not properly ready to flower
Seriously, dude, forget YT and concentrate on your plant - look at it!

No worries, My plants look weak because they froze and went through several hard late freezing's. I don't have thousands of dollars for lighting and room in my house for and indoor grow. I have to work with what I have. If that is a problem... ok... Kyle has grown more weed in his life than most. I listen I take what I can from it and move on. There is more than 1 way to skin a cat. I say there is whole bunch of shit on message boards... If I did not think it was helpful I would not share it.

I admit I am bias when it comes to defoliation, I do as little as possible even to large photo-periods and in the few autoflowers I've grown i doubt I've ever snipped more than a leaf or two.
I just try to spread autos outward a little just for better airflow and bit more light.
IMO stripping leaves off does nothing but take mobile nutrients stored in those leaves away from the bud which that plant spent a lot of time and energy creating.
Autoflowers I think get between 8 to 12 colas on average so should be reasonably easy to just do light LST and get all the light needed to each cola, they remind me of just a big bouquet with one taller cola in the middle and most of the others fairly evenly around it.
If your ph is on point won't the plant get all the nutrients it needs from it's roots and the soil? After all isn't that why leaves die off on the bottom of the plant first with deficiencies ? Because the leaves are the last place that the plant draws energy from when it can't get it through the roots?

Back
Top Bottom