Defoliation guidelines

Okie Smokey

420 Member
Honestly, the leaf growth on my Eleven Roses specimen (the only plant I have growing now) has been nothing short of incredible. This plant is on the 3rd day of flower schedule and its highest apex is about 22", with 5 more apices 20"-21" tall. There are probably over 35 budding sites. I've defoliated 1 3/4 oz of now dried fan leaves over the 56 days of veg. The regrowth of the new fan leaves are once again shading out the outside, internal and some upper budding sites down from the main apices. I have lights on three sides of the plant and do 1/4 turns to give exposure to the light sources. My tent temps at full tilt run 81*-84* w/lights on and about 64* at night. I'm modulating the humidity at night to about 47% rh and about 55%-64% with the lights on.

I have one small oscillating fun running at ground level for aeriation/circulation. I can't run my 4" venting fan extraction unattended because it sucks the humidity down to 37% or lower if I'd allow it.

I've read recommendations in more than one discussion to wait till 3rd week in flower before defoliating (when in flower). The plant appears to me to once again, suggest I should take some of the floral and circulation interfering fan leaves to keep down the chance for fungal problems and other issues, as well as expose budding sites to all the available light. The plant is in fantastic health having only shown a little CaMg deficiency early on.

Can someone knowledgeable speak to my concern ?

Now, let me just say this image is from a few weeks ago and I have defoliated since. So, it doesn't represent the current stage of the plant. I will post another image to this thread of its current state soon.

Thanks everone.

Honestly, the leaf growth on my Eleven Roses specimen (the only plant I have growing now) has been nothing short of incredible. This plant is in on the 3rd day of flower schedule and its highest apex is almost 22", with 5 more apices 20"-21" tall. There are probably over 35 budding sites. I've defoliated 1 3/4 oz of now dried fan leaves over the 56 days of veg. The regrowth of the new fan leaves are once again shading out the outside, internal and some upper budding sites down from the main apices. I have lights on three sides of the plant and do 1/4 turns to give exposure to the light sources. My tent temps at full tilt run 81*-84* w/lights on and about 64* at night. I'm modulating the humidity at night to about 47% rh and about 55%-64% with the lights on.

I have one small oscillating fun running at ground level for aeriation/circulation. I'm can't run my 4" venting fan extraction unattended because it sucks the humidity down to 37% or lower if I'd allow it.

I've read recommendations in more than one discussion to wait till 21 days in flower before defoliating in flower. The plant appears to me to once again take some of the florally and circulation interfering fan leaves to keep down the chance for fungal problems and other issues, as well as expose budding sites to all the available light. The plant is in fantastic health having only shown a little CaMg deficiency early on.

Can someone knowledgeable speak to my concern ?

Now, let me just say this image is from a few weeks ago and I have defoliated since. So, it doesn't represent the current stage of the plant. I will post another image to this thread of its current state soon.

Thanks everone.
I agree with ZZman only maybe try moving any fans that are blocking bud sites from getting maximum light exposure. my 2 cts. CL🍀

The promised current images from just a few hours ago.
Thanks ZZman and CaptainLucky for your observations and suggestions.

I think you can see the enclosure of these new fans. I'm blown away how quickly they infilled. When this 22" Eleven Roses starts pumping she fogs the viewing vinyl on one side of the tent. I can control the humidity pretty well so far by just cracking one of the entry door zippers without running the vent fan.

Still, this lil' bush is dense. Love to hear your thoughts.

Healthy! You can pull the light up a few inches to encourage stretch and the colas will pull up outa ‘bush’ a bit as they grow.
glanced at your original post and notice ‘one fan’. I’d get one more in there.
:Namaste: Thanks very much ZZman. my overhead LED T5's (grow and bloom are about 12" over the terminal buds, a VIparspectra XS2000 is vertical at 18" and a Viparspectra 600 V (grow+bloom sections) are about 18" from plant. Lights over head and on two sides.

I've been a little unclear about how much "fanning" is good/bad. Haven't read anything specific to the subject. I don't have another oscillating fan but I do have a small fixed one. I'll consider adding it in some fashion. Would really like some clarity on the "fanning" parameter.

Again thanks.

:Namaste: Thanks very much ZZman. my overhead LED T5's (grow and bloom are about 12" over the terminal buds, a VIparspectra XS2000 is vertical at 18" and a Viparspectra 600 V (grow+bloom sections) are about 18" from plant. Lights over head and on two sides.

I've been a little unclear about how much "fanning" is good/bad. Haven't read anything specific to the subject. I don't have another oscillating fan but I do have a small fixed one. I'll consider adding it in some fashion. Would really like some clarity on the "fanningu" parameter.

Again thanks.
Overall it’s a beautiful girl but now is when you really have to get your RH under control. I would invest in an oscillating fan before any fungus settles in. And maybe a dehumidifier or humidifier for the RH.CL🍀

Tokin Roll -
As we speak, at the canopy level 61%; slightly above it's 57%. Keep in mind there are now two fans (both at ground level, but angled upwards, one oscillating and one fixed). Some studies show there can be small local variable humidity ratios due to turbulence, even though it's generally accepted that humidity diffusion is very rapid throughout an enclosed room. I do have a citation if anyone is interested.

That mixing condition may be at work here seeing that the measured rh levels are actually higher in this instance at canopy level than they are above the canopy (about 16" higher than the lower hygrometer). Notwithstanding +/- error levels which may be present inherently between the two hygrometers.

Back
Top Bottom