Defoliate?

joebechill

this is for people who defoliate during flower... about a month into flower and i have these three unknown plants growing under 4 .. 20w cfls and that’s why they’re so stretchy . first time grower who has since learned his lesson about shitty non-grow lights. so these nodes are pretty spread apart but their are some fan leaves that could be blocking light and getting bushed together. should i remove them or just let her be. i defoliated and took a bunch of clones from the lower branches. i lightly lollipopped by removing a bunch of lower leaves and branches week 1 of flower and now it’s exactly week 4. what do you guys think? should i remove the other lower branches? just remove leaves? thanks

Attachments

• C56D4424-99F2-47FE-B7B8-36E6026A873E.jpeg
    C56D4424-99F2-47FE-B7B8-36E6026A873E.jpeg
    706.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 6E191EB7-17F2-4A11-A2FA-38161C2E3CDE.jpeg
    6E191EB7-17F2-4A11-A2FA-38161C2E3CDE.jpeg
    560.4 KB · Views: 91
  • A3479CA8-92A0-4D49-AC7F-AE7FFAC6C4F6.jpeg
    A3479CA8-92A0-4D49-AC7F-AE7FFAC6C4F6.jpeg
    756.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 624C9A9F-1908-46FC-B954-06ACAE65F0BD.jpeg
    624C9A9F-1908-46FC-B954-06ACAE65F0BD.jpeg
    534.4 KB · Views: 80
  • BB72C88B-E009-4CF9-8880-4D4D366781FA.jpeg
    BB72C88B-E009-4CF9-8880-4D4D366781FA.jpeg
    829.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 5DAE2AF3-71A5-4F37-B485-C5FA3CB571C1.jpeg
    5DAE2AF3-71A5-4F37-B485-C5FA3CB571C1.jpeg
    766.7 KB · Views: 78
If those were my plants I would probably only pop a few of those big fans off that are higher up. Due to the stretchy nature of your plants they actually are allowing lots of light penetration already. If you had tighter node spacing more defoliation would be beneficial.

If those were my plants I would probably only pop a few of those big fans off that are higher up.
okay thanks homie! i’ll have to decide which leaves are going today. so just a few higher up leaves hmm. i’ll try my best lol. i’m still using the cfl lights now because my plant might be too tall to add real grow lights in as i don’t want to burn anything. and cfl lights are weaker and can get close. is that a decent idea until next grow set up ? i know it won’t yeild as much

I see. Well if height is an issue at this point for hotter lighting options then just stick with what you got. Add another bulb or two if you can but if you can't don't sweat it. You will still get some bud and feel that rewarding feeling at the end. Also you will gain all kinds of experience so just keep on truckin'.
Also, those plants look real healthy! :ganjamon:

Also, those plants look real healthy! :ganjamon:

good idea dude! i didn’t want to add strong grow lights but i never thought about just simply adding two more ! i’m doing that . and that is awesome to hear! there are definitely some leaves that would tell you otherwise in the older growth lmao. i literally put these girls through hell when they were younger lol. must’ve had good genetics keeping them alive! but thank you man!

Hello joe. I too have the same question. My girls are around day 14 in flower. I have heard a lot of mixed reviews about defoliation in flower. I’m thinking around day 21-22 I’ll be giving these girls a hair cut, due to so many bud sights covered up by fan leaves. I’ve also researched some growers defoliate around day 41/42 as well. Hopefully maybe lizard can confirm ? I’m just going to drop a picture of the girls let me know what you think joe ! Cheers Edna

Attachments

• 443E6315-5B78-44AD-8DEF-7F07AA2136A4.jpeg
    443E6315-5B78-44AD-8DEF-7F07AA2136A4.jpeg
    557 KB · Views: 76
  • A9BE0867-C6C7-426A-B961-A4A797C71638.jpeg
    A9BE0867-C6C7-426A-B961-A4A797C71638.jpeg
    985.9 KB · Views: 100
Hello joe. I too have the same question. My girls are around day 14 in flower. I have heard a lot of mixed reviews about defoliation in flower. I’m thinking around day 21-22 I’ll be giving these girls a hair cut, due to so many bud sights covered up by fan leaves. I’ve also researched some growers defoliate around day 41/42 as well. Hopefully maybe lizard can confirm ? I’m just going to drop a picture of the girls let me know what you think joe ! Cheers Edna
yours look really nice and trained.. unlike mine lmao

yours look really nice and trained.. unlike mine lmao
I did a fare bit of research and asking around for advice. What I did was topped them at the 4th node and a lot of lst. Wasn’t for a helping hand from all these fine folks on the forums, I wouldn’t have these good looking girls.

this is for people who defoliate during flower... about a month into flower and i have these three unknown plants growing under 4 .. 20w cfls and that’s why they’re so stretchy . first time grower who has since learned his lesson about shitty non-grow lights. so these nodes are pretty spread apart but their are some fan leaves that could be blocking light and getting bushed together. should i remove them or just let her be. i defoliated and took a bunch of clones from the lower branches. i lightly lollipopped by removing a bunch of lower leaves and branches week 1 of flower and now it’s exactly week 4. what do you guys think? should i remove the other lower branches? just remove leaves? thanks
I would only cut the middle fan leaf about half way down being a month into flower.

I wouldnt defoliate anything except getting rid of the stuff on the bottom. You plants are leggy enough that you really dont need to. I defoliate like crazy because i usually grow in hydro and have crazy leaves. If i were you id think about more light. CFLs can work great for green, you may need something more for flower. Looks good

thank you. and i’m just running this til harvest since it’s my first grow and then i’m starting new with real grow lights haha
I veg new plants with 2 monster CFLs. I get to about 14 inches before putting them under big lights. They love the 6500 color temp. Depending on how long i veg determines how many times they get transplanted. They work killer.

Everyone starts somewhere. Not many people can buy all the cool stuff on theyre list straight out the gate. Ive seen it happen. The rich kid generally looses interest fairly quickly. Creativity, and fixing stuff are where you learn. Im sure youll do fine

I veg new plants with 2 monster CFLs.
i grew them like a fucking ass and now they’re so tall and skinny lmao . i’m learning and that is a really good point . and if you’re super rich then the outcome of getting weeed is less exciting because they can just buy as much as they want lol. i’m having a blast though learning new things every day. i hope they are fine in their 2.6 gallons but i have 3 gallon fabric pots i was planning to use next grow. they’re just so big now it would be so annoying to transplant . hopefully they don’t die

i grew them like a fucking ass and now they’re so tall and skinny lmao . i’m learning and that is a really good point . and if you’re super rich then the outcome of getting weeed is less exciting because they can just buy as much as they want lol. i’m having a blast though learning new things every day. i hope they are fine in their 2.6 gallons but i have 3 gallon fabric pots i was planning to use next grow. they’re just so big now it would be so annoying to transplant . hopefully they don’t die
What is the largest pot you could use? Sorry, i forgot how your growing.... in a tent? How big?

What is the largest pot you could use? Sorry, i forgot how your growing.... in a tent? How big?
oooo i just left or id take a better picture than what i have. it’s 2x4x5 feet tent. there are pictures on the first page. i could go up to 3 gallon but i don’t wanna hurt my plants doing so. they’re like 31/2 feet from the ground. as they’ve stretched upwards further than i would have liked. they’re up there.

Back
Top Bottom