Dipez' Indoor/Outdoor Grow

Today I gave my plants a quick look over for problems and found I had overwatered my seedlings! Also Got 2-3 fungus gnats flying around(they are everywhere where I live not inside our home though) they must have managed to sneak in on the soil I just transplanted my plants into.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to control them? What I normally do is put sand on top of the soil but I'm looking for another solution if possible..

Ok so here is the pics! I took them right after I topped my plants this morning.. I tried doing FIM. There is an upclose pic.. Can somebody tell me if I did it right?
I also have 3 very slow growing clones.. Fairly disappointed in them. They look like they are still growing but very slow..

S7301050.JPG

S7301049.JPG

S7301048.JPG

S73010511.JPG

S7301053.JPG

S7301054.JPG

What is the pH of your soil?
How much of each part A and B are you using per gallon? Are you adding the nutrients to water...gotta ask that.
The larger clones probably need to be transplanted into larger pots.
What is the pH of your nutrient solution?

The bottom single blade leaves are usually the first to die after your plant is a few weeks old.

they are all in 18oz cups and 4 of my bigger plants are in 5gal pots.. And nope none are root bound. But I am transplanting some plants on friday when I get more pots.

Oh and Corey I'm not using any nutrients right now for the plants in the cups. Last time I watered was the flush and before that I had used 2.5ml per gal of both Bloom/Grow like you suggested. I haven't fed them since and yeah I do mix the Nutrients with the water haha. And I guess the PH of the soil changed to 7.5 unless my soil tester broke.. I Guess that's my problem then?

Also my concern isn't really the bottom leaves but how the higher leaves up are now being effected.

A pH of over 7.0 is at the level when a lot of micronutrients start becoming unavailable to the plants. Since It is affecting newer growth, that suggests an immobile nutrient is deficient. Most of your micronutrients are immobile.

I would get a very good reading on your soil ph in different pots and then make a nutrient solution up and ph it down far enough to drop your soil ph.

I bet that if you get your soil pH down to 6.5, they will green back up and look much better.

you are probably going to have to get your nutrient solution ph a little lower, probably in the mid 5's. A good idea is to get 3 or 4 cups of your soil mix and test your nutrient solution at different levels of acidity and see which one will drop the pH the best. Since your soil has a ph of 7.5, it is going to want to drift back to that level. Another thing I would look at is the ph of your tap water if that is what you are using. Some tap water can have a very high pH and it cause the soil to get more basic. I am interested in that since you said that you just flushed.

I would also test the ph of just a cup of soil to see what the starting ph is with nothing added. This will tell you which way the pH is going to drift as it dries out and the nutrient solution is flushed out. When mixing my soil, I always test the ph of it and try to get it at 6.5 so I don't have to make huge adjustments to the ph of my feed solution. If your soil has a pH of over 7.0, I would consider adding an amendment to it to try and get the pH closer to 6.5 when you transplant. peat is acidic, as well as black kow, and many other things.

A cool thing to do is grab one of those soil pH meters at Lowes and just go around poking it in bags of different soil amendments they sell to see what the ph of it is before buying it :)

I actually have checked the PH out before watering. It is 6.5-7 when dry. Id say last time I tested my tap water I got around 8 or 7.5 so I'd have to say you are right about the tap water. I have PH up and down So I will just adjust some tap water down to 5.5 and flush my plants with that.

One thing I know I will have trouble with is checking the PH once I add molasses to the water. I can't seem to get the color change PH tests to work when the water is anything but clear. Is that a common issue?

You might want to only flush with RO water or distilled water. You can also use that for your nutrient solution. It is worth if you can find it for less than a buck a gallon as it will really help your ph problem and will give a much cleaner flush.

I've looked into using RO water and really the cost for me to use it doesn't make me really want to go out and buy it.

Also I'm not sure if my PH meter is even working.. Everything I check comes out to 7.5-7.. I'm going to verify that my tap water is actually a high PH and if it is I will just flush with 5.5 PH water. I need to invest in a digital PH and PPM meter...

Just tested my tap water and Jesus its 8.5+ on the PH test. My water is way off..

I had terrible ph problems before I got a RO system and a good PH meter. Now I have now problems with PH, but I'm not sure if the filters or the new meter made the difference. Might have been both...
I know not every one needs a RO unit, but I love mine. This way the girls only get what I give them!

I transplanted 2 plants today. 1 of my XJ-13 and 1 of the seedlings. Before I got to the others I thought about what a waste of money it would be to find out if a bunch of those seeds were male after transplanting them into larger pots.

Would anybody suggest against letting my plants sex before I transplant them into 2gal pots?

Btw I will add pics later today. My fimmed plants are growing new tops. Not sure If all were done correctly but one of my white widow definitely has 3-4 tops growing. Also amazingly the plants I just transplanted into 5gal buckets are already showing roots at the drainage holes. These girls are going to go bananas outside!

https://www.-----.com/ic/showthread.php?t=55810
Not sure why but I cant put up the link.. It keeps making the Site name into -----

Doing some research on home made RO units and I found this page. The person talks about how you can use a Mr. Clean car wash thing as a water filter. He even has PPM tests.

He also talks about how a filter is only 4$ each. Replace the filter every 20-25gal and that's under $.25 a gallon. Might be worth trying out. I'm also looking for stores around me that will have RO or distilled water for cheap. I've heard of one near me that has it for $.25 a gallon which would be the way to go for me. By far the best price I have heard and $.25 a gallon is worth the money to me. Even if it doesn't make my plants grow better the PH being perfect to begin with is worth the $.25 a gallon to me!

Btw pics soon.

Back
Top Bottom