Discoloration on leaves

MikeB1

420 Member
Today this 2 week old seedling started showing discoloration on its leaves.

day16.jpg
day17.jpg

Trying to do some research what it could be but it's all very confusing. So many ailments have nearly the exact same symptoms!

Can anyone pin point what the exact problem could be?

Today this 2 week old seedling started showing discoloration on its leaves.

day16.jpg
day17.jpg

Trying to do some research what it could be but it's all very confusing. So many ailments have nearly the exact same symptoms!

Can anyone pin point what the exact problem could be?
Good morning Mike :ciao: you have a healthy normal looking baby.
Stop worrying. :Namaste:
Feed her mild Nutrients for a week then gradually go full strength.
You will do fine.
I see you have your hump and moat around her.:thumb:
Try watering further out at the edge , I have no doubt she will be great.
Hope your having a great day my friend.

Stay safe :cool:
Bill284

Hey Bill :ciao: Thanks for the response, much appreciated! :thumb:

I'm growing in regular potting soil with no added nutrients. I was told that seedlings this young shouldn't receive any additional nutrients yet. The only thing I did was adding akadama to the soil to improve drainage.

Today, 2 days later, the seedling looks like this:

day19.jpg

close-up1.jpg

close-up2.jpg

I can't help but feel those discolorations are indicating a problem. But I hope you're right that I'm just suffering from beginners syndrome and simply worry too much :)

Indeed, I created a circular ditch around the seedling and I've been only watering that ring after the first week to try to draw the roots outwards. I followed your advice and added a second ditch just next to the outer edge and I've watered that ring yesterday.

No problem here at all she will grow that out...here's mine when she was young with same thing.... And one of her now it grew out.

Don't fret sometimes they just do weird stuff.

And looking good so far...keep up the good work growmie

IMG_20220704_162750486.jpg

IMG_20220720_110824883_HDR.jpg

Here's an update on my plant. It's 11 days later and the discolorations are still there but I think / hope it's okay, the plant has been growing strong. It has more than doubled in size and today I spotted the first leaves with 5 fingers.

day27.jpg

day27b.jpg
She seems to be coming along nicely. :thumb:
Just a tip next time take the mesh off your peat pods before you plant her.
It cages in the roots.
Keep up the good work my friend.

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

Even if it were a problem, the little baby will probably balance itself out as it’s tap root digs in a little deeper and the plant puts out new growth. It’s so tiny that at the moment all you need is to maintain light and a light solution of properly ph’d nutrients. Lookin good though!

She seems to be coming along nicely. :thumb:
Just a tip next time take the mesh off your peat pods before you plant her.
It cages in the roots.
Keep up the good work my friend.

Stay safe

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for next time. I was conflicted about doing so, I felt nervous disturbing those young and fragile roots. My worry was that if I cut open the mesh I could damage the little root ball. I just wanted for my first time growing to carefully place the peat pod into the plant's final pot and not mess with it too much. I "transplanted" when the seedling was only a few days old. Next time I'll probably take a little more risk :)

Even if it were a problem, the little baby will probably balance itself out as it’s tap root digs in a little deeper and the plant puts out new growth. It’s so tiny that at the moment all you need is to maintain light and a light solution of properly ph’d nutrients. Lookin good though!

Cheers, Chaos6659!

Now is the time for the first topping.

I've heard about topping. It's not something I'd like to undertake my first time growing cannabis. Sounds way too scary for this beginner :)

But thank you for the input. I think I shall give it a go next year if everything works out with my first plants.

CaMg might be worth a shot

Thanks, Roy!

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for next time. I was conflicted about doing so, I felt nervous disturbing those young and fragile roots. My worry was that if I cut open the mesh I could damage the little root ball. I just wanted for my first time growing to carefully place the peat pod into the plant's final pot and not mess with it too much. I "transplanted" when the seedling was only a few days old. Next time I'll probably take a little more risk :)
There is a tab at the top.
Just pull thectab it tears right off.
Very easy, no damage. :thumb:
She will keep growing though don't worry.

Stay safe

Cheers, Chaos6659!

I've heard about topping. It's not something I'd like to undertake my first time growing cannabis. Sounds way too scary for this beginner :)

But thank you for the input. I think I shall give it a go next year if everything works out with my first plants.

Thanks, Roy!
Topping and low stress training may seem intimidating but they are a cannabis growers best kept weapon. Topping allows you to more easily manage the height of your plant, increase branching, and take advantage of all the light your providing. Topping also provides a way to produce more than 1 main cola or main flowering sight. Low stress training is done by making the plant fight against some kind of resistance to grow back toward the light (IE zip ties, wires, low stress training clamps, etc…) when your plant begins branching, bending down those branches will open the plants canopy therefore maximizing your surface area and light absorption. Don’t sell yourself short! Maximize your yield wherever possible, that’s why we’re here to help!

There is a tab at the top.
Just pull thectab it tears right off.
Very easy, no damage. :thumb:
She will keep growing though don't worry.

Stay safe

Hi Bill :ciao:

There does not appear to be any pull tabs on my peat pellets.

day5.jpg
day6a.jpg
day6b.jpg

I'm guessing we're using different ones?

Topping and low stress training may seem intimidating but they are a cannabis growers best kept weapon. Topping allows you to more easily manage the height of your plant, increase branching, and take advantage of all the light your providing. Topping also provides a way to produce more than 1 main cola or main flowering sight. Low stress training is done by making the plant fight against some kind of resistance to grow back toward the light (IE zip ties, wires, low stress training clamps, etc…) when your plant begins branching, bending down those branches will open the plants canopy therefore maximizing your surface area and light absorption. Don’t sell yourself short! Maximize your yield wherever possible, that’s why we’re here to help!

Thanks, Chaos!

I'm growing an auto that is said on seedstockers.com to grow only 1.5 meters tops so I'm not too worried about the height as they'll be on my balcony with no direct neighbors around. I'm also growing them in a not too big pot (about 4 liters / 1 gallon) so I'm guessing it won't even reach that 1.5 meters.

But I'll pop another seed (I currently have 2 plants that are about 4 weeks old) and if all 3 plants turn out healthy I might have a go at it on one of them :)

Hi Bill :ciao:

There does not appear to be any pull tabs on my peat pellets.

day5.jpg
day6a.jpg
day6b.jpg

I'm guessing we're using different ones?
Sorry, there is usually a tab just pulls off.
Sharp scissors.

Stay safe

Back
Top Bottom