DIY co2?

CO2 fermentation bubblers might be your solution. I used them all through my veg stage and it IMHO I think they work great. For the amount of money you spend on Sugar and Yeast. A few little hoses and pieces from Home depot or your local hardware mart, and you're good to go.
Then there is dry ice. Pick up a bag, get a camp kettle. Boil some water pour about 2 cups of boiling water in the kettle. With gloves, or tongs, plop a few chunks (about a full cup) of dry ice into the hot water hung up by your lights. The reaction will produce pure CO2 theat will spill down over your plants and dose them. Or you, can put the kettle on the floor and have a floor fan blow the smog up underneath the leaves. I've used both these methods, and they both work. But nothing works quite as well as a bottle of CO2 with a regulator, and controler.
Make sure of you go the bottle, or dry ice route, you have your exhaust fans turned off as they're getting the business. Just so they don't suck all the precious gas out the hole.
With the fermentation process, you can't do much about keeping it in the room, but there are ways to administer it that it gets used.
Check my journal, I was curious just like you a while back. Now I'm running the bottle, and things are groovy baby..

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by JBC420 in First CFL Grow In Soil - OG Kush - Wiw!
Nice co2 dispenser man, Might have to look into that a bit more. what exactly are the ingredients for the co2 besides yeast.

O yeah and just seen the top of your soil, when its dry it really looks like coco, is it??

I got the idea from another forum, but I expanded on it a bit. I use that same recipe. 15ml yeast (I just got a bunch of champagne yeast packets and it seems to be the best yeast to use, as well as 4.5 gallon carboy at a wine supply shop.) It's really important to have a thermometer to make sure the water isn't too warm. If its too warm it will kill the yeast, then it's all a waste. I just got some mini porous sprinkler hoses and a "T" connector. So I can make a loop around the canapy, and the CO2 will just cascade down through the leaves. I'll post photos of it later.
Oh yeah it's not coco, it's just dry Sunshine mix just before I gave them a good drink.

Here's his recipe and directions to "Khordes"post on --------org:
Stuff that you need...
- 2L pop bottle +2caps
- 3" of 1 1/4" Clear Vinyl Tubing (something with a bit of stretch)
- 1.5m of 5mm tubing
- 15ml Yeast (I used dry baker’s yeast but apparently Champaign yeast is the best)/ 480ml Sugar/ 2L Water
- drill with bits
- epoxy (waterproof)

To make the Bubbler on top:
-cut the 1 1/4" tubing to about 2.5" in length.
-Drill 5-6 super tiny holes (1/32" - 1/16") through one cap and one 5mm or 7/32" hole through the other, clean them all out and set aside.
-Soak the Tube in boiling water for 2-3 minutes, so it will have a little stretch to fit around the bottle caps.
-Push the bottle caps into the tube and stretch the tube around until flush with the bottom of the base of the cap.
-Let harden for couple hrs...
-Fin. Set aside...

To Make the Fermentation Mixture:
-Warm the 2l in a pot on the stove and dissolve the 480ml sugar, stirring constantly, as soon as all of the sugar is dissolved take it off the heat. Stick a thermometer in the sugar-water solution and let it cool to 38° C, this is the optimal temperature for yeast to activate, too hot will kill the yeast!
-Add the 15ml of yeast, stirring constantly, until it mostly looks dissolved.
-Let the mixture activate for half-hour to an hour before poured into the bottle.

Clean up a pop bottle with soap and water, bleach if you really want and make sure it is really well rinsed out. Add the fermentation solution to your newly cleaned out pop bottle almost to the top, probably 1.8L total, fill the bubbler from the bigger holed side and quickly screw it on to the top of the 2L without squeezing the bottle (it will suck all of the water out of your bubbler) you should notice small bubbles start to come through, that is the CO2, stick your 5mm hose through the hole, not into the water, just above the surface of the water; and wrap the other end (poked with small holes) around your plants. Now you have CO2! CHEAP!
***This Solution will last about 1week at optimal production, after that you can choose to either add more sugar to keep the yeast going or replace the fermentation mixture; if no more bubbles appear after the sugar has been added a second time then the yeast has been killed by the by-product of the co2 production, alcohol.
***THE FIRST MIXTURE does not need to be re-warmed for the addition of extra sugar!

Originally Posted by JBC420 in First CFL Grow In Soil - OG Kush - Wiw!
Nice co2 dispenser man, Might have to look into that a bit more. what exactly are the ingredients for the co2 besides yeast.

***THE FIRST MIXTURE does not need to be re-warmed for the addition of extra sugar!

I use this to make mead and all you really need to make co2 is water, sugar and yeast. Take a gallon jug and add a couple of cups of sugar and fill to about 3/4 with warm water (not hot just warm) then add one package of yeast from the baking section of most food stores. Now cap this with a balloon with a hole and tape in place. In a short amount of time (minutes to an hour or so) the balloon will start to inflate a little until it opens the hole enough to let out the co2. Set this in a high part of your grow closet or box. After a few days you will see the balloon his starting to look flat. Add more sugar and this should repeat the process. Now in all fairness I have never added the extra sugar for mead as it is not needed but in theory you should be able to keep the process going for a while like this.

One word of warning. When the yeast starts to work it can cause foam that can rise out of the jug. The balloon for me inflates enough to keep the mess from spilling out but with adding more sugar keep an eye on it for the first several days. Also the more you open the grow space the more you let out the co2 so not matter what your method of co2 adding don't fan the door and I'd cut back on the venting a little and try to add the sugar at a time when venting has just completed so you have the max amount of time for the co2 to work before being sucked out.

get yourself a homebrew kit or retort and kill two birds with one stone!!! make glorious dark beer for the hot summer days(or a nice liquor/scotch for those cool winter evenings), which gives off co2 during the fermentation process which in turn releases co2 into your grow room feeding your plants! perfection LOL

I keep it simple, I still ue vinegar and baking soda.

I got a psi gauge regulator from homedepot for about $20.
6 3L hawain punch bottles. There thick and can hold a lot of pressure
3/4 1/4 tubing also at home depot
Another regulator 3/4 1/4 $5

You do the plumbing the same way except after the 3rd bottle you connect the 3/4 1/4 regulator to the 4th bottle that way you can slow the co2 plus let it build up more pessure. To me its beter containment. the psi regulator you hook up to the last hose inbtween the 6th bottle and your loop or how ever you have it going around your garden. You can tel the pressure and control how much you put out. I only refill the regultor 1nce a week.

200grms of baking soda
4 cups of vinegar

I honestly think it can hold more but haven't tryd. Also fill each bottle half way with water [not the generator] Water compresses the pressure.

I would like to see a pix for your setup on the co2 gen. I was thinking the same thing about the vinger and bakeing soda , but the othe way work to. But I have one question how do i calualate how much co2 to deliver . With the room size there small rooms now and where sould i place the bottles at top of the room or on the bottom. and as for exaust fans about how long should i time them for. couple times a day . and for the fans on the plants will that effect the co2 thats dropping down on the plants?

I just looking for a way to add to my system so I thought co2 would be perfect. I know about the sugar and yeast with warm water. Just checking all option before i began this project. any advice well help and i do have my rooms broke down to sq ft and sq inches.[/I]
I keep it simple, I still ue vinegar and baking soda.

I got a psi gauge regulator from homedepot for about $20.
6 3L hawain punch bottles. There thick and can hold a lot of pressure
3/4 1/4 tubing also at home depot
Another regulator 3/4 1/4 $5

You do the plumbing the same way except after the 3rd bottle you connect the 3/4 1/4 regulator to the 4th bottle that way you can slow the co2 plus let it build up more pessure. To me its beter containment. the psi regulator you hook up to the last hose inbtween the 6th bottle and your loop or how ever you have it going around your garden. You can tel the pressure and control how much you put out. I only refill the regultor 1nce a week.

200grms of baking soda
4 cups of vinegar

I honestly think it can hold more but haven't tryd. Also fill each bottle half way with water [not the generator] Water compresses the pressure.

Can i see a pix for that setup? Please.Sorry me and wor do do good with out pix.
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by JBC420

O yeah and just seen the top of your soil, when its dry it really looks like coco, is it??

I got the idea from another forum, but I expanded on it a bit. I use that same recipe. 15ml yeast (I just got a bunch of champagne yeast packets and it seems to be the best yeast to use, as well as 4.5 gallon carboy at a wine supply shop.) It's really important to have a thermometer to make sure the water isn't too warm. If its too warm it will kill the yeast, then it's all a waste. I just got some mini porous sprinkler hoses and a "T" connector. So I can make a loop around the canapy, and the CO2 will just cascade down through the leaves. I'll post photos of it later.
Oh yeah it's not coco, it's just dry Sunshine mix just before I gave them a good drink.

Here's his recipe and directions to "Khordes"post on --------org:
Stuff that you need...
- 2L pop bottle +2caps
- 3" of 1 1/4" Clear Vinyl Tubing (something with a bit of stretch)
- 1.5m of 5mm tubing
- 15ml Yeast (I used dry baker’s yeast but apparently Champaign yeast is the best)/ 480ml Sugar/ 2L Water
- drill with bits
- epoxy (waterproof)

To make the Bubbler on top:
-cut the 1 1/4" tubing to about 2.5" in length.
-Drill 5-6 super tiny holes (1/32" - 1/16") through one cap and one 5mm or 7/32" hole through the other, clean them all out and set aside.
-Soak the Tube in boiling water for 2-3 minutes, so it will have a little stretch to fit around the bottle caps.
-Push the bottle caps into the tube and stretch the tube around until flush with the bottom of the base of the cap.
-Let harden for couple hrs...
-Fin. Set aside...

To Make the Fermentation Mixture:
-Warm the 2l in a pot on the stove and dissolve the 480ml sugar, stirring constantly, as soon as all of the sugar is dissolved take it off the heat. Stick a thermometer in the sugar-water solution and let it cool to 38° C, this is the optimal temperature for yeast to activate, too hot will kill the yeast!
-Add the 15ml of yeast, stirring constantly, until it mostly looks dissolved.
-Let the mixture activate for half-hour to an hour before poured into the bottle.

Clean up a pop bottle with soap and water, bleach if you really want and make sure it is really well rinsed out. Add the fermentation solution to your newly cleaned out pop bottle almost to the top, probably 1.8L total, fill the bubbler from the bigger holed side and quickly screw it on to the top of the 2L without squeezing the bottle (it will suck all of the water out of your bubbler) you should notice small bubbles start to come through, that is the CO2, stick your 5mm hose through the hole, not into the water, just above the surface of the water; and wrap the other end (poked with small holes) around your plants. Now you have CO2! CHEAP!
***This Solution will last about 1week at optimal production, after that you can choose to either add more sugar to keep the yeast going or replace the fermentation mixture; if no more bubbles appear after the sugar has been added a second time then the yeast has been killed by the by-product of the co2 production, alcohol.

I would like to see a pix for your setup on the co2 gen. I was thinking the same thing about the vinger and bakeing soda , but the othe way work to. But I have one question how do i calualate how much co2 to deliver . With the room size there small rooms now and where sould i place the bottles at top of the room or on the bottom. and as for exaust fans about how long should i time them for. couple times a day . and for the fans on the plants will that effect the co2 thats dropping down on the plants?

I just looking for a way to add to my system so I thought co2 would be perfect. I know about the sugar and yeast with warm water. Just checking all option before i began this project. any advice well help and i do have my rooms broke down to sq ft and sq inches.[/I]

You can add anything to your generator. I used dry ice before and yeast and sugar buy dumping a whole 4oz jar of yeast and adding 1 pound of sugar to 4gallons of water. I also did it in a 1 gallon hi-c jug and that works very well. I just run my end hose to the fan and let it do it its thing after that. Theres a co2 calculator if you google it and it will tel you to put in your room measurements and then will let you know how much co2 to add to the room.

5_gallon_water_bottle.jpg

I use a five gallon water jug with a bung and dual air lock. Honestly, imo if you are going the route of fermentation than I suggest you book up on moonshining. I was brewing mash and making moonshine before I started my first grow so it just makes sense to me to do both. When it's done fermenting all you have to do is distill it and walla, you have yourself 130 proof of some tasty shine. It's the best of both wolds, easier than making beer, and lets be honest, why stop at one vice? :thumb:

5 gallon water jug costs about $12, bung $2, and air lock about $1.50. So for about $16 you can get a simple and easy to clean system that can be found at your local liquor or brew store. I make a simple sweet feed mash that's about idiot proof as you can get.

5_gallon_water_bottle.jpg

I use a five gallon water jug with a bung and dual air lock. Honestly, imo if you are going the route of fermentation than I suggest you book up on moonshining. I was brewing mash and making moonshine before I started my first grow so it just makes sense to me to do both. When it's done fermenting all you have to do is distill it and walla, you have yourself 130 proof of some tasty shine. It's the best of both wolds, easier than making beer, and lets be honest, why stop at one vice? :thumb:

5 gallon water jug costs about $12, bung $2, and air lock about $1.50. So for about $16 you can get a simple and easy to clean system that can be found at your local liquor or brew store. I make a simple sweet feed mash that's about idiot proof as you can get.

You got that right!
I think I've decided I'm going to start using that fermented mash from now on.
I just couldn't be bothered before, didn't have the time.
Like you I use a 5 Gallon glass carboy, but use a separate 2L as my airlock.
Do you have any tips on how to make a cheap distiller??
Seeing as that's the next step to making good hootch, I'm either going to buy one, or make one..

You got that right!
I think I've decided I'm going to start using that fermented mash from now on.
I just couldn't be bothered before, didn't have the time.
Like you I use a 5 Gallon glass carboy, but use a separate 2L as my airlock.
Do you have any tips on how to make a cheap distiller??
Seeing as that's the next step to making good hootch, I'm either going to buy one, or make one..

It really depends on what kind of still you want to make, pot or reflux, but if you're looking for the cheapest than a pot style still is what you'll want to be looking to build/buy. What I use is a coffee pot urn like the one above with the worm connected to the lid. I got it from a second hand store for cheap so you may want to check out those places for anything similar. While made of aluminum, which is debated hotly among the shining community for safety, it's fine for normal runs imo (I wouldn't advise using aluminum for spirit runs as the high alcohol vapor will start to eat through the metal)

Stainless steel or copper is the way to go. Most first time shiners use a pressure cooker because it is easy to prep and readily available at most places. Some people use new paint cans as seen on YouTube which is a big no-no. The cans have a lining in them which the alcohol vapor will eat away and you don't want that crap in your finished product. Pressure cookers are usually not too expensive and you can sometimes find them at second hand stores, but think outside the box, I did and that's how I came to use the coffee pot urn.

In terms of what you can use to put the still together you are somewhat limited because it's all about safety. You have to use Lead-free solder, no rubber whatsoever (unless you can find a FDA approved rubber that can be used in high alcohol environments) and no cork because most cork is pressed together with glue. Teflon tape, cardboard, and flower paste will be your best friends to make o-rings, gaskets, and seals. I replace flower paste with non-toxic blu-tack but that's just something I do because I have so much of it lying around. Check out Home Distiller • Index page, it's basically the 420 version of alcohol :D If I get some time I try and make a thread with a complete list for a simple DIY CO2/Moonshine operation. I think there's people on here who'd like use their used up fermentation rather than throw it out. Always good to be green :p

That's how I do it, in a 5 gallon water jug from Walmart. $12

I have a video of my ingredient that produces an awesome amount of c02. It makes tasty brew as well. Add cherry/apple juice if you want a nice tasting wine. If you wish to distill, stick with just sugar, or mollasses.

You can buy a good water distiller for $179. Distill for an hour, then let it cool. Distill another hour, then mix the two batches, and walla, about 80 proof.

yeh or u could use co2 cartridges and release them but im not sure if this would b too much or too less....

Unfortunately the amount of money it would cost you in cartridges to maintain a 1500 PPM room?
wouldn't be worth it.

Back
Top Bottom