Do I need transferring into a larger pot?

meejay

Hi there,

I wonder if the pot is ok for this baby. She is in a liter (app 4 gallons) pot at the moment and growing fine in my opinion. What do you think? Do I need to transfer her?

photo_2020-04-16_17-15-59.jpg

photo_2020-04-16_17-16-15.jpg

I would have to say yes I would if your wanting high yield and not risk root bound stress that might hit during flower time. With plastic pots I have used a growing scale of with every total month of growing each month = a gallon. So if veg from clone or seed for three months with a average of two months flower that = 5 gallon minimum for plastic getting good yield.

Just because you see roots in the bottom holes is not an indication to uppot. The true and only reason you should uppot is when the roots have filled your first pot and they need more room. The only reason we don't start off in our final container is because we are trying to build up our rootballs in each of the successive smaller containers. A solid rootball that fills the entire container means bigger and stronger plants, and there is a good reason to restrict the size of the container while the roots are forced to build.
When your plant can use up all the water that your soil can hold in that container, in 24-48 hours, it is time to uppot. If you can water that plant to runoff and it takes 2 or more days for the plant to use all of that water, you still have roots to grow in that container.
or...
you can just get lazy and quickly transplant into your final container. You will still get a harvest and your plant will be fine... it will just not be quite as fine as it might have been if you had taken the time to grow your roots.

I would have to say yes I would if your wanting high yield and not risk root bound stress that might hit during flower time. With plastic pots I have used a growing scale of with every total month of growing each month = a gallon. So if veg from clone or seed for three months with a average of two months flower that = 5 gallon minimum for plastic getting good yield.

High yield is the way to go I guess.I don't want root bound stress in the future as well.
Thanks for the scale you use by the way! It helps for sure.

Just because you see roots in the bottom holes is not an indication to uppot. The true and only reason you should uppot is when the roots have filled your first pot and they need more room. The only reason we don't start off in our final container is because we are trying to build up our rootballs in each of the successive smaller containers. A solid rootball that fills the entire container means bigger and stronger plants, and there is a good reason to restrict the size of the container while the roots are forced to build.
When your plant can use up all the water that your soil can hold in that container, in 24-48 hours, it is time to uppot. If you can water that plant to runoff and it takes 2 or more days for the plant to use all of that water, you still have roots to grow in that container.
This is s good monitoring technique. I will use it from now on. Thanks!
or...
you can just get lazy and quickly transplant into your final container. You will still get a harvest and your plant will be fine... it will just not be quite as fine as it might have been if you had taken the time to grow your roots.
I will choose not to be lazy in this occasion I guess lol.

I have been reading the book "Marijuana Horticulture" by Jorge Cervantes and this is exactly what he recommends. 1 to 1.5 gallons of space for each month of growth .

Back
Top Bottom