Do my Autos look small and stunted for their age? 18-22 days old

Screenshot_2023-07-02-21-46-18-548.jpg

This little piece of auto heaven here @ day 75 in a 5 Gallon fabric pot, has always been watered completely until runoff and repeated when dry as are all my autos. At the moment she requires about 1 gal per day, but will soon be requiring less. And when that happens, it will generally be an indication of nearing the end. Again , I firmly believe that in doing this, it helps the plants to self regulate their transpiration rate knowing full well that they will receive a full watering when required. Besides the plant itself, the Microbes are also depending on it . But conditions are different per location, and watering will of course vary per locale, is dependant on the grow media itself, and most importantly...will be affected by VPD .

:peace:
Do you start the seeds in the 5 gallon pots?

I wonder how much of a factor growing outdoors changes things? I only grow outdoors. Last year when this same strain auto plant stunted, we had an unusually really hot dry June in the
90’s right off the bat. This year we had one of the coolest and wettest Junes. I couldn’t put these plants outside consistently because of the heavy rain and possibility of hail and the below 50 degree nights so they spent a good deal of time on a window sill or on a covered porch. But I did get them outside almost everyday the sun came out but normally by June first my plants can be outside 24/7. So this June was just as unusual for its rain and cool as last year was for its dryness and high heat. I do water like you. I water to saturation and run off and then wait till the pot dries out but I’ve never started seeds or small seedlings or small clones in a 5 gallon pot. I’ve always up potted from Solo to 1 gal to 5 gal. And sometimes from 1gal to 2 gal to 5.

Do you start the seeds in the 5 gallon pots?

I wonder how much of a factor growing outdoors changes things? I only grow outdoors. Last year when this same strain auto plant stunted, we had an unusually really hot dry June in the
90’s right off the bat. This year we had one of the coolest and wettest Junes. I couldn’t put these plants outside consistently because of the heavy rain and possibility of hail and the below 50 degree nights so they spent a good deal of time on a window sill or on a covered porch. But I did get them outside almost everyday the sun came out but normally by June first my plants can be outside 24/7. So this June was just as unusual for its rain and cool as last year was for its dryness and high heat. I do water like you. I water to saturation and run off and then wait till the pot dries out but I’ve never started seeds or small seedlings or small clones in a 5 gallon pot. I’ve always up potted from Solo to 1 gal to 5 gal. And sometimes from 1gal to 2 gal to 5.
This is my third summer growing, and second summer trying to grow autos outside. Where I live, I think I've figured out that they can't go outside until June 15th. I have four autos outside. One is two months old and about 5" tall. One is three weeks and 3" tall, and two are about 10 days old. So far, it looks like just the early one stunted. It was spending nights inside until around the 6th of June, but probably triggered on cooler days.

They're all Mephisto strains. I've had better luck with SSSC and Fastbuds for not stunting, though I can stunt any auto. It seems Mephisto strains are more likely to stunt, in my personal experience, though usually the terpene profiles make it worth being more careful the first couple of weeks.

I'm pretty confident the others are going to be "reglar" sized though.

This is my third summer growing, and second summer trying to grow autos outside. Where I live, I think I've figured out that they can't go outside until June 15th. I have four autos outside. One is two months old and about 5" tall. One is three weeks and 3" tall, and two are about 10 days old. So far, it looks like just the early one stunted. It was spending nights inside until around the 6th of June, but probably triggered on cooler days.

They're all Mephisto strains. I've had better luck with SSSC and Fastbuds for not stunting, though I can stunt any auto. It seems Mephisto strains are more likely to stunt, in my personal experience, though usually the terpene profiles make it worth being more careful the first couple of weeks.

I'm pretty confident the others are going to be "reglar" sized though.
We’ve had a record breaking wet June this year in Denver and I had to do the same as you and bring the plants inside for several nights plus with the risk of hail, they’ve had to spend several days either inside in a window or under a covered porch. Normally I’m able to put plants outside 24/7 by June 1st but not this year. That could have been the problem causing the possible stunting of my 00 Seed Bank Chocolate Skunk Auto which also stunted last year. Last year we had the opposite problem (An excessively dry, hot June in the 90’s. Right now my Chocolate Skunk plant is already in flower now at about at day 37. 2 of my other autos (California Kush and Humboldt Seed Co Sole Mate) look like they are just starting to flower even though their both small too. The 00 Seed Co 00 Kush looks like it’s might grow like a photo period like it did last year. It’s the biggest plant with no sign of flowering. I thought they stunted last year because I started them in Solos and then transplanted them possibly too late or because of the heat or both. So this year I started them in their final 5 gal pots.

image.jpg

Anyway to tell if this auto is actually growing as a photo? The seed of this strain I planted last year grew as a photo. If so I’d like to either top it or LST it. Which is better for outdoors? I have topped my outdoor plants but I’ve never really done LST.

Great! nothing to worry about it became stem.
What do you mean with the autos growing like photos? it would depend on the strain, some stay small and are fast, others can grow to quite the bush and need lots of time.
I mean that the plant grew and behaved exactly like a photo period instead of an auto. The strain is 00 Kush Auto from 00 Seeds Bank. The seed I grew last year grew as big as the photos I was growing along side of it and started flowering at the same time as the photos and then wasn’t ready for harvest until November (Around the same time as my photos.) it could be that 00 Seeds mixed these up because they also have a photo period version of 00 Kush. I got these seeds at an Autoflower seminar at the last Indo Expo I went to. They gave them out as samples.

Anyway to tell if this auto is actually growing as a photo? The seed of this strain I planted last year grew as a photo. If so I’d like to either top it or LST it. Which is better for outdoors? I have topped my outdoor plants but I’ve never really done LST.
If it doesn't flower with more than 12 hours of light it's not an auto.

If it doesn't flower with more than 12 hours of light it's not an auto.
Then they maybe mixed up the seeds and accidentally put the photo period variety in the Auto variety package. The tin and and info is marked as an Auto but the same company 00 Seeds does make a photo version. A few on here have mentioned that 00 Seeds are unstable genetics but maybe this is a straight up photo since it’s growing like the seed I grew last year. It turned out not to be a bad plant at all and a very good high but I was planning to only grow auto this year.

Then they maybe mixed up the seeds and accidentally put the photo period variety in the Auto variety package. The tin and and info is marked as an Auto but the same company 00 Seeds does make a photo version. A few on here have mentioned that 00 Seeds are unstable genetics but maybe this is a straight up photo since it’s growing like the seed I grew last year. It turned out not to be a bad plant at all and a very good high but I was planning to only grow auto this year.
Yeah mate it happens. I've had what I thought were autos but turned out to be photos. So could just be a mistake when packing.
Could be bad breeding with not enough ruderalis genes in it also!

We’ve had a record breaking wet June this year in Denver and I had to do the same as you and bring the plants inside for several nights plus with the risk of hail, they’ve had to spend several days either inside in a window or under a covered porch. Normally I’m able to put plants outside 24/7 by June 1st but not this year. That could have been the problem causing the possible stunting of my 00 Seed Bank Chocolate Skunk Auto which also stunted last year. Last year we had the opposite problem (An excessively dry, hot June in the 90’s. Right now my Chocolate Skunk plant is already in flower now at about at day 37. 2 of my other autos (California Kush and Humboldt Seed Co Sole Mate) look like they are just starting to flower even though their both small too. The 00 Seed Co 00 Kush looks like it’s might grow like a photo period like it did last year. It’s the biggest plant with no sign of flowering. I thought they stunted last year because I started them in Solos and then transplanted them possibly too late or because of the heat or both. So this year I started them in their final 5 gal pots.

image.jpg
I see Pistils on one of those plants, and Pre Flower on another indicating they are Auto. But believe me you, 00 Seeds auto cultivars are not good. Humboldt on the other hand has a very good reputation. Next round instead of 00, try Mephisto Genetics, Night Owl Seeds, Laughing Hyena, or Twenty20 Mendocino. You won't be disappointed.

I see Pistils on one of those plants, and Pre Flower on another indicating they are Auto. But believe me you, 00 Seeds auto cultivars are not good. Humboldt on the other hand has a very good reputation. Next round instead of 00, try Mephisto Genetics, Night Owl Seeds, Laughing Hyena, or Twenty20 Mendocino. You won't be disappointed.
So the plant that has the pistils is the 00 Seeds Chocolate Skunk Auto and one with pre-flowers is 00 Seeds California Kush auto. The 3rd smaller one is the Humboldt Seed Co Sole Mate auto. That one I can’t tell if it’s going into flower yet or not. All 3 of these stunted last year as well. Even the Humboldt. I’m the most bummed about the Chocolate Skunk because what little I got last year, was really pretty good so I was hoping for a bigger harvest this year. I still have a couple of seeds of each that I might continue to fool around with but I won’t be paying any money for more.

So the plant that has the pistils is the 00 Seeds Chocolate Skunk Auto and one with pre-flowers is 00 Seeds California Kush auto. The 3rd smaller one is the Humboldt Seed Co Sole Mate auto. That one I can’t tell if it’s going into flower yet or not. All 3 of these stunted last year as well. Even the Humboldt. I’m the most bummed about the Chocolate Skunk because what little I got last year, was really pretty good so I was hoping for a bigger harvest this year. I still have a couple of seeds of each that I might continue to fool around with but I won’t be paying any money for more.
Sole Mate is a 90 day auto and will sex later than than the 00 autos. Be sure and start Bloom feed as soon as it does. Also, I highly recommend filling your pots completely to just under the brim to give your plants more room to expand their roots ..Sole Mate will need it as she can become massive...

:thumb:

Sole Mate is a 90 day auto and will sex later than than the 00 autos. Be sure and start Bloom feed as soon as it does. Also, I highly recommend filling your pots completely to just under the brim to give your plants more room to expand their roots ..Sole Mate will need it as she can become massive...

:thumb:
I do have the equivalent of the amount of soil needed for a 5 gallon pot in each one but they are the original design of Smart Pots so they are more wide than they are tall plus they are stretched out quite a bit so they are probably now closer to 6 gallon pots. I have one bag of 1.5 square feet of potting soil divided between 2 pots. So two 1.5 sq. feet bags of potting soil in 4 pots.

Last year the Humboldt Sole Mate auto stunted on me as well so I still think my handling of the plants (transplanting too late and the excessive hot weather caused it to stunt.

Back
Top Bottom