What is wrong with my autos?

Hmm, maybe that's something that I should try. My plants are all over that tent. Well, plants and my latest addition, thrips.

I was thinking that a trellis might help keep them upright but if I can top them multiple times, that might be a good approach. When you did multiple tops, did you veg them for longer?
I'm only growing outside so they veg for as long as they veg. I've never grown indoors. My plants are usually started in April or May. Outside by late May and then start to flower around the first or second week of August. Then depending on the strain, they will finish mid October to mid November. The mid November plants are a bitch because they need to be brought in and out for those few weeks it starts to get cold.

"I'm only growing outside so they veg for as long as they veg." - when you mentioned clones, I was thinking that you were doing photos.

May through November is really long grow cycle. How tall did they end up and what kind of yield?
I'm always bad about not weighing my yield but maybe on average 4 to 5 quart mason jars of bud per plant. My plants get to be about 4 ft tall. I tried one plant in the ground last year but I planted it late, in mid July (it was an experiment) but it got up to 6 ft. tall

I'm always bad about not weighing my yield but maybe on average 4 to 5 quart mason jars of bud per plant. My plants get to be about 4 ft tall. I tried one plant in the ground last year but I planted it late, in mid July (it was an experiment) but it got up to 6 ft. tall
5 quarts of weed. Yeh, that'll work!

Interesting about the height, too. 4 feet tall is a big auto.

Not autos. Photos. These 3 autos I have now are the first autos i've ever grown.
Ah, got it. And not much progress on diagnosing what's going on with your grow.

I grow hydro so my knowledge of soil is pretty sketchy. One thing that sticks in my mind is that there's a technique to watering. If you water too much, your leaves will curl and look "flabby" (does that sound about right?) but if you don't water enough, you can get pockets of dry soil that will never absorb water. Could that be what you're running into?

The other thing that I see, especially in the second photo, is that the leaves appear to have white splotches on them. Have you checked for insects? Check the underside of those leaves with a loupe.

Ah, got it. And not much progress on diagnosing what's going on with your grow.

I grow hydro so my knowledge of soil is pretty sketchy. One thing that sticks in my mind is that there's a technique to watering. If you water too much, your leaves will curl and look "flabby" (does that sound about right?) but if you don't water enough, you can get pockets of dry soil that will never absorb water. Could that be what you're running into?

The other thing that I see, especially in the second photo, is that the leaves appear to have white splotches on them. Have you checked for insects? Check the underside of those leaves with a loupe.
Yeah, you have to let the soil dry out and then water to saturation. The Wet/Dry cycle. Emilya (a member here) has an excellent post called "How to water a potted plant" where she explains the whole process, and I have been following her watering style since I started growing. I've been checking for bugs and so far I can't see any. I'm wondering if it's the soil. If it's too hot. One of the plants has clawing leaves.

Yeah, you have to let the soil dry out and then water to saturation. The Wet/Dry cycle. Emilya (a member here) has an excellent post called "How to water a potted plant" where she explains the whole process, and I have been following her watering style since I started growing. I've been checking for bugs and so far I can't see any. I'm wondering if it's the soil. If it's too hot. One of the plants has clawing leaves.
I was going to recommend Emilya - seems like she's the expert on that!

No bugs, eh? Hmm. In addition to the white splotches, there's the yellow mark that looks like a "scribble". Wonder what that's about.

"clawing leaves" and leaf tip necrosis - hot soil makes sense. An observation - the leaves look to be a light green rather than a medium or dark green. Not enough N can cause that. Could you have hot soil but have an N deficiency or it there a chance of a lockout?

I'm running out of ideas - I don't have the experience and being ignorant re. soil doesn't help. Plus, it's pumpkin hour. I've got to release a new version of software for a client tomorrow…later today so time to hit the rack.

The only folks I've traded email with here are hydro growers or else I'd try to call in reinforcements. What about posting it in the plant infirmary section? That should get you more eyeballs.

I was going to recommend Emilya - seems like she's the expert on that!

No bugs, eh? Hmm. In addition to the white splotches, there's the yellow mark that looks like a "scribble". Wonder what that's about.

"clawing leaves" and leaf tip necrosis - hot soil makes sense. An observation - the leaves look to be a light green rather than a medium or dark green. Not enough N can cause that. Could you have hot soil but have an N deficiency or it there a chance of a lockout?

I'm running out of ideas - I don't have the experience and being ignorant re. soil doesn't help. Plus, it's pumpkin hour. I've got to release a new version of software for a client tomorrow…later today so time to hit the rack.

The only folks I've traded email with here are hydro growers or else I'd try to call in reinforcements. What about posting it in the plant infirmary section? That should get you more eyeballs.
I've used Sohum soil for 2 other photo period clone grows and it worked really well but maybe it's not that good for Autos. I tried to follow the protocol for Autos with Sohum because it's supposed to be too strong for small seedlings and direct seed planting.

That's about when I've topped and I've probably topped at most (last year) 3 times : The main stalk, then the next sets of new growth , then the next set.
@jokerlola , your talking about topping 3 times for photo's and not necessary auto's. Am I correct?.

@jokerlola , your talking about topping 3 times for photo's and not necessary auto's. Am I correct?.
Correct. I wish I hadn’t topped these autos. There’s a guy that has a YouTube channel that specializes in Autos and he said he used to always top his autos but then did some side by sides and decided that it doesn’t really increase yield, so he stopped. I have to see if I can find him and I will post a link.

Correct. I wish I hadn’t topped these autos. There’s a guy that has a YouTube channel that specializes in Autos and he said he used to always top his autos but then did some side by sides and decided that it doesn’t really increase yield, so he stopped. I have to see if I can find him and I will post a link.
@jokerlola , assuming you a have sufficient amount of plants growing at your disposal, I am a proponent for experimenting (even if it's off the cuff) and keeping tabs on the result. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

"Go for it big guy", we're only here on this planet as short time, don't waste any of it being conventional.

@jokerlola , assuming you a have sufficient amount of plants growing at your disposal, I am a proponent for experimenting (even if it's off the cuff) and keeping tabs on the result. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

"Go for it big guy", we're only here on this planet as short time, don't waste any of it being conventional.

So this is the guy I'm talking about. He has a youtube channel about growing autos and he's being interviewed here and @ 43:20 he starts talking about plant training and topping.

I'm totally into experimenting. This whole growing experience started as a lark for me when I was handed some cuttings at a Indo Expo that I had stumbled into that was going on next to a fly fishing show I had went to in 2018. Besides the free cuttings, they were handing out free nute samples, bags of soil, free seeds, etc.

Fair enough and I've read that in a number of other places.

Even if yield is a wash, it's a good technique to shape your plant so you don't run out of vertical space.

autos topped once.

full

topped at node 5. nodes 2 / 3 / 4 kept. 1 and 5 are lopped off.

I have a question. The packages for the Auto seeds I am growing have the numbers of days on them. For instance it says: Sole-Mate - 55 days, Chocolate Skunk - 65-70 days, 00 Kush - 55-60 days. Is that number of days the amount of time from seed sprouting to harvest? Or is it the number of days after they start flowering to harvest?

it's a wild guesstimate of flower time.

they decide veg time on their own. they typically don't flower before the fifth node. cannabis normally reaches sexual maturity at the fifth node. autos can trigger earlier if stressed or get root bound.

it's a wild guesstimate of flower time.

they decide veg time on their own. they typically don't flower before the fifth node. cannabis normally reaches sexual maturity at the fifth node. autos can trigger earlier if stressed or get root bound.
So that number of days listed on the package is an estimate of ow many days after they stop vegging and start flowering? (How many days of flowering?)

I'm on day 60 since they all sprouted and 2 plants have only been flowering about 14 days ago still have very small buds and one hasn't even started flowering yet.

Like @bluter said, it's a ROUGH estimate and usually very optimistic. I don't think I've ever had one finish in the time frame listed on the package/website. 60 days for a auto without flowering is on the high end, the good thing is, you get more veg time=bigger plants. Don't even worry about bud size until you're about 6-7 weeks into flower. Stay the course with the nute instructions. They put on a lot of bulk (swell) in the last couple weeks.

Back
Top Bottom