Does homemade co2 made of yeast, sugar, and water in a 2 litre bottle work?

yes and no...Yes you can make your own CO2.

No you can't make it fast enough to matter. CO2 is complicated and very expensive to do right. If you don't have a second chamber for recirculating the the air back into the main chamber you will not be able to get the benefits from CO2 and you will be wasting a ton of money and time even if you make it yourself. You will need an air conditioner in the room because you will need to regularly stop ventilation for the CO2 to work. The CO2 must be at a very high level for it to have a real impact on the grow.

You have to be looking at a professional set up in a room like 10 x 40 for it to be cost effective and a very advanced grower to know a lot of things I have not listed here. It is simply a waste of money if you can't get the CO2 to high enough levels which means a sealed off room which means it is going to get real hot.

I am sure on here somewhere is a good sticky on this...

I wish it did. I mean, it is just CO2, which does help plant growth, so it should and could help. But as near as I can figure from reading about it- the CO2 from brewing, and from the various other small scale CO2 emmiters that are out there for purchase, isn't really produced in large enough quantities to make much difference. I think it could be very helpful if you have a micro grow and set things up just right. Anything larger than that and it's difficult to find a way to contain the CO2 and keep it in contact with the plants. It likes to come out of the bottle and go on its merry way, never to be seen again (Well I guess it wasn't ever seen to begin with, since it's invisible... ).
As soon as a vent fan comes on - goodbye CO2.
This is just my take on things without having tried it. Would be happy to hear different though.

Back
Top Bottom