Doobzilla X's Indoor Coco LED Grow - White Widow & BubbleGum - 2015

Doobzilla X

Welcome to my first Grow! I hope this grow journal not only helps get me closer to my dream of a sweet personal herb garden I can keep an endless supply of smoke for, but I also hope it helps someone reading, maybe lurking, and on the fence about taking care of a grow the incentive to want to grow their own!

As I mentioned in my Intro I only want to grow a nice potent yield I of green I can share with a couple very close friends. I don't like looking for new suppliers and middle men "dealers" are bumming me out. I felt like the only way I would get my hands on quality smoke would be to grow and cure my own. The money I would save alone attracted me to the idea. One thing led to another and now here I am less than two weeks into my first grow!

I am new to some terms and slang when it comes to gardening so don't feel like you are offending me if you have to explain or spoon feed something to me, haha. Once I understand what I am doing and why, I only need to hear it once, I am a pretty fast learner. So enough babbling from me already. Here is my info..

What strain is it?
There are two strains, (2) White Widow by Norden & (1) Black Domina x Bubblegum by Speed Seeds both bought at The Single Seed Centre
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?
White Widow-Mostly Sativa(THC Level unknown) Bubblegum-Mostly Indica(THC Level 19%)
Is it in Veg or Flower stage?
White Widow is in Veg Stage
Bubblegum is in Veg Stage

If in Veg... For how long?
White Widow-9 days from Planting seed
Bubblegum-6 days from planting seed

If in Flower stage... For how long?
Indoor or outdoor?Both are Indoor in a 32x32x63 Grow Tent
Soil or Hydro?Hydro using Coco Coir
If soil... what is in your mix? Coco Coir(Cocogro) x Perlite(Miracle Gro)60/40
If soil... What size pot? (3) 3 Gallon fabric Pots by Phat Sacks!
Size of light? (2) Mars Hydro I 300 watt LED Lights with bult in fans 5wx60 140w actual draw
Is it aircooled? 1 fan, Honeywell HT900 Air Circulator Fan Passive intake
Temp of Room/cab? Range has been between 84-89.9F
RH of Room/cab? 69% at time of typing this. Humidity is high today, usually has been between 55-60%
PH of media or res? Using Bottled water til PH Kit comes in. Will update this once it has arrived.
Any Pests ? One bug seen two days ago and killed so far, I think it was a Spider Mite. Have not seen anything since
How often are you watering? Right now as needed, I wait for soil to get dry (test for moisture with my finger and water if dry)
Type and strength of ferts used?
Right now I have only used Nutes once(Half of what was recommended)
DynaGro- Foilage Pro
DynaGro- Bloom
CaliMag- Calcium Magnesium Suppliment(I have been using Cali Mag a full strength per directions).

I will add pics and more info to catch everyone up that stops by in a few minutes!!

Sorry..A few minutes turned into a few days quickly..life came calling but I am going to catch you up to day 12 very Quickly.

Started on July 15, 2015

It took a few weeks to get everything I needed. So far the total invested is just under $350.

Once I got everything for my Grow, I hydrated and mixed my coco with perlite and filled up (2) 3 Gallon fabric pots with the mix.
IMG_20150715_135635746.jpg

I planted the seeds directly in their permanent home, and started the 24 hour cycle @ 6PM.
IMG_20150720_034530685_HDR.jpg

In a few days I had some lovely seedlings breaking ground, Both Germinated.
IMG_20150720_035606545_HDR.jpg

3 days after planting The two White Widow plants added a feminized Black Domina x Bubblegum strain, Which also germinated
successfully.

IMG_20150715_205953616.jpg

IMG_20150722_223358258.jpg
IMG_20150722_223720120.jpg

Over the last week, the biggest adjustments I have made have been:
1)going to 1 300watt MarsHydro LED.(I started off using two)
2)started adding ventilation and cooling components(Added a Honeywell fan)
3)Adding another 3 Gallon fabric pot to transfer my bubblegum strain into
4)Ordered clay pebbles and picked up more perlite

Day 12 of Planting White Widow Strain

These are the most recent pics of the ladies as of 7/26, I will be taking more today.

IMG_20150726_121218232.jpg

IMG_20150726_121330938.jpg

Day 6 of planting-BD x Bubblegum
IMG_20150726_121246860.jpg

So far all three seem to enjoy the MarsHydro LED light, I have been adding Cali Mag and Started Nutrients again today. I am using DynaGro's Posted Schedule for "Foilage Pro" and "Bloom".

This week I will also start looking into ventilation and keeping this temp in check. Right now I am @ 82.8 with 65% Humidity.

Day 15 of Planting(12 days old)-White Widow
Day 09 of Planting(6 days old)-BD x Bubblegum

So far so good, but I did notice some trouble on Zayna's bottom two leaves. Some yellowing right along the tips of both leaves is yellowing and getting a little brittle. Looking into that as I type this.
IMG_20150729_214615417.jpg
IMG_20150729_214622380.jpg
IMG_20150729_214635339.jpg

"Jayna" the little sister seems fine. Did not notice any yellowing on her leaves.
IMG_20150729_214836143.jpg

Still waiting on another brick of Coco for my Bubblegum strain which I hopefully will be able to transport to its new home today. She is looking awesome..
IMG_20150729_214126715.jpg

IMG_20150729_214110754.jpg

Day 15 of Planting(12 days old)-White Widow
Day 09 of Planting(6 days old)-BD x Bubblegum

So far so good, but I did notice some trouble on Zayna's bottom two leaves. Some yellowing right along the tips of both leaves is yellowing and getting a little brittle. Looking into that as I type this.
IMG_20150729_214615417.jpg
IMG_20150729_214622380.jpg
IMG_20150729_214635339.jpg

"Jayna" the little sister seems fine. Did not notice any yellowing on her leaves.
IMG_20150729_214836143.jpg

Still waiting on another brick of Coco for my Bubblegum strain which I hopefully will be able to transport to its new home today. She is looking awesome..
IMG_20150729_214126715.jpg

IMG_20150729_214110754.jpg

Looking great. I wouldn't worry too much about that yellowing of the first true leaves. Happens. It might mean something,, I'd watch it, but, more than likely based on new growth you're fine.. how's the RH in your space lights on and off??

ETA... Just saw you're using dynagrow nutes.... I use them occasionally to. Go light,, that might be the reason for the tip burn.

Have you used protekt yet?

Here I am!

Hope you don't mind I tag along. Mass is right, the bottom leaves are going to yellow out first. This is quite common. But yes, keep an eye.

You've got a beautiful set up! Keep it up!

Looking great. I wouldn't worry too much about that yellowing of the first true leaves. Happens. It might mean something,, I'd watch it, but, more than likely based on new growth you're fine.. how's the RH in your space lights on and off??

ETA... Just saw you're using dynagrow nutes.... I use them occasionally to. Go light,, that might be the reason for the tip burn.

Have you used protekt yet?

Thanks for stopping by and for the feedback sir!

I am glad I may be overeacting a little but I am keeping watch over her to see. Right now the ladies are just getting introduced to nutes including "Cali-Mag". I haven't tried "Protekt" yet but soon as I read your post I headed over to amazon and ordered some. I also wanna make sure my ph is okay. I have a ph meter and I have been using bottled water(Tap water here in Milwaukee is scary..not bad, scary.) which usually comes in at 6.3. I want to make sure it calibrated so I also ordered a calibration solution, and the up and down solution from General Hydroponics just in case I do need to use tap.

My RH is 59%, temp is @ 82.8. I know I have work to do with ventilation. I am only running one fan in there now with two screened vents open. I want to look into a carbon filter and a couple small clip on fans once the ladies get to flower.

Are there any other boosters or additives you recommend? What about Guano?

Here I am!

Hope you don't mind I tag along. Mass is right, the bottom leaves are going to yellow out first. This is quite common. But yes, keep an eye.

You've got a beautiful set up! Keep it up!

You absolutely are welcome here! Everyone is, you definitely don't need an invite. Any feedback is appreciated and I am glad you like the setup thanks! I have much work to do though like I mentioned in the last post, like getting my ventilation ready. Yeah, I know I will panic at the first sign of something wrong, bear with on that. I am really fascinated with the process and gotta keep myself from opening my tent all the time to check on them. I even notice that they are getting that "greeny" "citrusy" smell. That's awesome.

I will be posting some more pics as I water today. Hopefully my brick of Cocogro will show up so I can transfer my Bubblegum strain into it's permanent home.

Quick Update!!!!

Day 16 of Planting(13 days old)-White Widow
Day 10 of Planting(7 days old)-BD x Bubblegum

I didn't take any new photos as I am getting a little frustrated with the raggedy Droid Maxx I've been using up to this point. I figure I will have some good photos to take by the time I do as it seems like the ladies grow almost every hour. I will be buying a better phone hopefully over the weekend or Monday. I did water the ladies tonight though and they look happy. I still have not received my brick of cocogro so I am working on a plan B. I added the clay pebbles, as you can see on my last photos, and took some time to tidy up the grow tent.

Current temp-82.6
RH-57%

Ph Calibration solution will be here tomorrow, PH up and Down on the way too.

Protekt on the way!(Thanks again MassMedMan and Pigeons420 for stopping by..)

Doobzilla,

(Writing here since your setup is very similiar to ours with the two 300W 5x60W).

I am having a TERRIBLE time with seedlings basically becoming white and growth entirely stunted and plants now seeming to die ;(

You said you removed ONE light and used only one 300W for the first few weeks? For how long did you use only one light?
And most importantly...how far do you have your lights off the plants?

Doobzilla,

(Writing here since your setup is very similiar to ours with the two 300W 5x60W).

I am having a TERRIBLE time with seedlings basically becoming white and growth entirely stunted and plants now seeming to die ;(

You said you removed ONE light and used only one 300W for the first few weeks? For how long did you use only one light?
And most importantly...how far do you have your lights off the plants?

Hi flexy123. Damn, I am sorry to hear that. Here's what I've learned about the MarsHydro's 5x60w so far.

1)I am in a 32"x32"x63" tent. I've had a few members here advise me that I really only need to go with one LED for Vegging and add the second for flower. So I took one down and have been just using one. Also I run a 24 hour cyle. Nonstop since I planted on July 15th
(Right now I am using one this is my current setup with the "Wonder Twins" & "Gogo")
C360_2015-08-02-00-48-30-111.jpg

2)Check your distance. I had the LED a little over a foot over the pots to start. I asked Smoke Sara(She and the other peeps in the MarsHydro LED Sponsor thread are awesome. Visit there if you haven't already.) Suggested I actually move them above 24". They are at 26" now.

3)Temp. Not sure if you've noticed but these babies run a little warm, at least warmer than I expected. How is your ventilation? My temps stayed between 85-91 with both on, even with a fan. When I do add the second LED come flower time I will be ready with an upgraded ventilation/ cooling system. Make sure both lamps aren't cooking the ladies. From you describe it sounds like some type of LED bleaching or burn, but I am learning myself so don't just take my word for it.

For what it's worth I would go with one and see how they respond. Not sure how many seedlings you have but link me your grow journal if you have one and i'll be glad to help with any input. Good luck.

Hi flexy123. Damn, I am sorry to hear that. Here's what I've learned about the MarsHydro's 5x60w so far.

1)I am in a 32"x32"x63" tent. I've had a few members here advise me that I really only need to go with one LED for Vegging and add the second for flower. So I took one down and have been just using one. Also I run a 24 hour cyle. Nonstop since I planted on July 15th
(Right now I am using one this is my current setup with the "Wonder Twins" & "Gogo")

2)Check your distance. I had the LED a little over a foot over the pots to start. I asked Smoke Sara(She and the other peeps in the MarsHydro LED Sponsor thread are awesome. Visit there if you haven't already.) Suggested I actually move them above 24". They are at 26" now.

3)Temp. Not sure if you've noticed but these babies run a little warm, at least warmer than I expected. How is your ventilation? My temps stayed between 85-91 with both on, even with a fan. When I do add the second LED come flower time I will be ready with an upgraded ventilation/ cooling system. Make sure both lamps aren't cooking the ladies. From you describe it sounds like some type of LED bleaching or burn, but I am learning myself so don't just take my word for it.

For what it's worth I would go with one and see how they respond. Not sure how many seedlings you have but link me your grow journal if you have one and i'll be glad to help with any input. Good luck.

Hey Doobzilla,

yes I am in that other thread already and I already asked Sara many questions, the usual what everyone says is 18"-24" - but I really think all those people referring to bigger plants and not seedlings. It seems to me that a lot of strains (seedlings) do NOT take well anywhere near 18"-24", don't know how often I already moved the lights back.

Now I just put them at 38" (!!) which is really as far up as I my hangers etc. allow. It's really very far for LED and basically a lot higher what everyone says.

Temps are another problem but I cannot control this. I am in Spain and we grow in a greenhouse on the balcony. (The greenhouse is always in the shade except a few minutes direct sun in the morning, this is why I have the LEDs). Temps this July/August are just murderous (talking 100F-110F) and I am sure this plays a role too. I cut many large openings in the greenhouse to allow as much airflow as possible, door is open anyway etc.. I don't think a fan would make a difference.

To get an idea: We're entirely new to growing, and one of the autoflowers which is now all white was in there for 5-6 weeks already, it's barely 1"! (Yes, a fricking inch!! And...funny thing...it seemed to have flowered because there are tiny buds and it actually smells very intense. We have some non-autos (feminized) which look alright, at least they're still green. But also VERY tiny still, like 2".

Still debating whether to turn-off one of the lights (even at 38" distance)...or possible move plants further away or something...

(Plan is now to get a few more NON autoflower seeds and possibly just seed in Spring/Fall....I have a feeling this would be MUCH better if it's not that hot)

pvn9s.jpg

Hey Doobzilla,

yes I am in that other thread already and I already asked Sara many questions, the usual what everyone says is 18"-24" - but I really think all those people referring to bigger plants and not seedlings. It seems to me that a lot of strains (seedlings) do NOT take well anywhere near 18"-24", don't know how often I already moved the lights back.

Now I just put them at 38" (!!) which is really as far up as I my hangers etc. allow. It's really very far for LED and basically a lot higher what everyone says.

Temps are another problem but I cannot control this. I am in Spain and we grow in a greenhouse on the balcony. (The greenhouse is always in the shade except a few minutes direct sun in the morning, this is why I have the LEDs). Temps this July/August are just murderous (talking 100F-110F) and I am sure this plays a role too. I cut many large openings in the greenhouse to allow as much airflow as possible, door is open anyway etc.. I don't think a fan would make a difference.

To get an idea: We're entirely new to growing, and one of the autoflowers which is now all white was in there for 5-6 weeks already, it's barely 1"! (Yes, a fricking inch!! And...funny thing...it seemed to have flowered because there are tiny buds and it actually smells very intense. We have some non-autos (feminized) which look alright, at least they're still green. But also VERY tiny still, like 2".

Still debating whether to turn-off one of the lights (even at 38" distance)...or possible move plants further away or something...

(Plan is now to get a few more NON autoflower seeds and possibly just seed in Spring/Fall....I have a feeling this would be MUCH better if it's not that hot)

Hey flexy123,

My Apologies, today was a cram day so I was busy with studies. Saw the pic.
Wow. 5 weeks? That's crazy and YES the MarsHydros throw some heat. I'm still very much a noob but I can share my thoughts with you.

Turning off one should make it okay to lower the one remaining to 26-28" I would say also it is really imperative to get the temps down. Killing one light is a good start. If I am correct you should be at 75-85. That is crucial cause that heat is making your seedlings suffer. I would recommend some airflow to get that heat out. Good luck my friend and link me to your grow journal!

Well, I don't think the heat from the lamps is that much a problem although they do of course give off some. It's really the general crazy temps in Summer here in Spain. At 110F like we had last week there is simply no way anything will grow well and for sure not seedlings :) So it was probably just a bad idea to use this time for planting outside in a greenhouse...

Yes I will look into a small fan too, mainly also because people say it strenghtens the plants when a fan is going.

Thanks, your journal is very helpful. I don't have one myself yet. All this sure is quite some learning process, no doubt about it ;)

Well, I don't think the heat from the lamps is that much a problem although they do of course give off some. It's really the general crazy temps in Summer here in Spain. At 110F like we had last week there is simply no way anything will grow well and for sure not seedlings :) So it was probably just a bad idea to use this time for planting outside in a greenhouse...

Yes I will look into a small fan too, mainly also because people say it strenghtens the plants when a fan is going.

Thanks, your journal is very helpful. I don't have one myself yet. All this sure is quite some learning process, no doubt about it ;)

If anything I have posted was a help that is awesome. Outside temps can definitely have a factor in your grow. I'm learning that being in a basement. I suspect this will interesting by winter but I'm trying to stock up on a little by then hopefully.

Have to ask Doobz. How's that little girl doing with the burn leaves. Any progress, better, worse?

I'm actually on the verge of an update later Pigeons420. Actually "Zayna" the big sister is doing good, she's twice the size of her sister. Those leaves didn't get better but it hasn't spread from what I have seen either.
C360_2015-08-03-21-29-39-648.jpg

Back
Top Bottom