Drying the harvest

go4snypr

Alright, we harvested on 420 (maybe a bit early but it was not my call), anyways, this is our first harvest, the plants have been hanging in the back room in the dark since saturday night. I am just wondering how "dry" they should be before we begin the cure process. Should we just go by when the main stock "snaps". I was thinking we would trim and put into curing jars tomorrow, that would be 4 days of drying, or should we wait till the weekend. The plants still feel very wet if you squeeze them, any advice would be great. thanks.

My opinion is,I let mine dry at least 7 days very cool with air circulation around them until branches snap not colas. Probably are other methods and ways to achieve same result

Well people do it different ways - But IMO - its best to have some moisture in the buds still before you cure. The stem should be bendy and maybe the outside leaves feel slightly dry and crispy but when you squeeze em they feel soft.
I dry my buds for about 5-7 days depending on size, in a room temp of 13*C and RH around 45%, the smaller buds I trim and manicure I put them into a pile and then once i get to the cola's, I trim to a certain point then cut the rest of the trimmed stem off and then hang them, But with the smaller buds - I use mesh screens in the room with circulating air.. This way air gets all around the buds and theres only minimal contact with the mesh and bud so many trichs arent lost. I HAVE dried some quicker by putting a handful or so into paper bags with air bloing into them and just stir them once a day or so and theyll be fine to toke in 48rs or so..
I have cured in zip lock plastic bags - WORKED FINE!! and also plastic containers.. The thing I think makes the difference is that you lose minimal trichs and the moisture in the bud helps give a smoother more soft and squeezy feel as opposed to dry crumbly bud. I did that too!!
Anyways hope it helps a bit.. All the best for ya harvest;) Smokemup

Hi
I have just cut and trimmed mine, they are in a dark tent with good air flow, been there 4 days they feel spongey and a light crisp on the out side, do you think these are ready??????? and what do i do now??

many thanjs

if they are all trimmed up, and are feeling crisp, cut the buds off the stems and throw it alll into some glass jars and start the curing process. Just let the buds sit in the jars shake them every now and then, and crack the lids every so often the let the buds dry out. Repeat process.

Just a side note, IMO - You dont wanna put wet buds into jars, make sure as you said that the outer parts feel a little dry, but on the inside is still a little moist ( mainly the stem and inner parts of bud ) and then when theyre collected and stored for curing - putting them into a jar or whatever for say 24 hrs, then open it and I personally mix the buds around so that buds in the middle and such can then moved to the outer parts of the jar allowing them to dry and the moisture is absorbed into the drier parts of the buds again and when theyre ready - the buds will be dry, not crumbly and breaking to bits! It should be squashy but bounce back to its shape kind of. But some buds are more solid and dense so theyre not as likely to bounce back into shape, they compress:) YUMMO~~ Chunky Nugs..
I always hang the cola's upside down and trim them properly, I dont rush these in drying as theyre denser of course, So I just monitor these but as long as the RH isnt too high you should be ok, I ALWAYS HAVE FANS CIRCULATING AIR...Its a must IMO..
And I prefer to dry my smaller buds usually on some kind of mesh screen and try to not touch them too much, same with most buds, I try not to touch em cos usually the trichs n pistils will stick to everything:)
Well Im up for harvest now and will let you know how I go.. Anyways, just DONT MICROWAVE or OVEN DRY YOUR WEED!!! Let it air and leave em for 4 - 7 days pending on size and some should be smokeable.. Just borrow a gram or 2 to last ya til its dry so you dont tax from your harvest!! Goodluck guys, I dont do exactly the same as most guys curing/drying wise, But there are already great info from great ppl on here so just follow these basic suggestions and you should be ok;)
Have a good one.. Smokemup:high-five:

Back
Top Bottom