1st Grow - Harvest

OTFmoney

Any tips on harvesting drying & curing?
Should I trim & chop the plant in a dark place? Also, when I hang up the branches do I leave them in the dark for X amount of days? Need a fan? Before curing can I test a nug? Harvesting soon.

Welcome, OFTmoney! If you look at this whole forum, you will see a bunch of stickied topics at the beginning, that will answer all your basic questions. Every grow is different, and Cannibus is quite hardy. There is no absolute right way, so do a lot of reading in this forum, choose the method that works for you space-wise and financially, and give it a go.

I'm in the middle of curing my crop but I needed someone to hear me out to see if I'm doing this right.

Ok so I harvested Sunday morning. Hung the buds up that same day to dry, already trimmed, in the attic. Temperatures around here lately have been Highs of 76 Lows of 50 so I wasnt worried about heat. Yesterday I came home to hot temperatures in the attic. I could tell it was humid as fuck cause it rained & the air up there felt very humid. I dont have a temp/humidity gauge. So I panicked, knowing a little about mold I didn't want to lose the crop. I could smell the usual "fresh cut grass" smell or "wet hay", I know that's normal. But I didn't want mold to form. So I took them down and moved them into a big jar. Pretty much only let them hang & dry for 2 days. Is that bad? Also do I need to take them out of the jars to finish drying? How would I do that if I have to? Im trying different curing methods. I have about 7g in a brown paper bag inside my fridge. I took the biggest nugs and put them in a smaller mason jar. The rest are curing inside a big jar.

I just needed some pointers hopefully I don't fuck it up.
Anyway I can add a flavor or smell to the crop? Lemon peels?

I let mine hang for at least 4 days

Yeah I know that I was aiming for 4 days as well. But if you read the post you'll see that I panicked because the attic was very hot & humid. I thought mold would start to form if I left it any longer. The heat was ridiculous the humidity was awful.

I had a timeline more or less. My procedure was being followed perfectly until the heat/humidity became a factor. I work 11 hour days from 5am to 4pm I can't watch it like I needed to so instead of leaving it for another day I took em down. I didn't want to come home from work to see mold all over my bud. Its my first grow, to lose it now would be a blow to mood. I got attached to the plant hell I didn't even want to chop her down hahaha. It happens I guess

Alright. Should I leave em in the jars when I find a better spot? Keep em in the dark? Or can I spread em.out on newspaper? How many more days of drying?

It is better to have them a tad overdried before putting them into the Jars. The humidipacks in the jars will bring them back up to 62%. You can air dry them any way that works for you till the stems snap. You have indicated that you don't have the time to burp jars several times a day.

In an emergency like you had, you can put the buds in an open cardboard box or lay on newspaper or even use paper bags, and put them in the freezer for a few days to 2 weeks. This is the perfect environment to slowly remove the moisture from them without fear of mold or smell. I did this with my first grow and then jarred them. After a month in jars, they smell really good and give a great smoke.

I'm in the middle of my first dry/cure process myself, it's kinda hard to know when the perfect time to put them in the jars is, so I took a lot of people's advice and got a hygrometer, got one from the pet store for 6$, fits perfect in the jars and has adhesive Velcro so you can stick it to the bottom of the lid and then move that lid to whatever jar you wanna check. Or buy a few since they are cheap. It's really nice cuz it takes the guess work out, I thought some stuff was dry but saw the humidity go up past 70 and I knew I had to take them out and let em dry some more.

Back
Top Bottom