DrZiggy's Low And Slow Drying: Maximizing Your Harvest

Thank you I am writing this all down in my notebook. Once written it gets put to memory....most of the time. Hubby believes in jars so I need to either do jars or convince that paper burps lol

Thank you I am writing this all down in my notebook. Once written it gets put to memory....most of the time. Hubby believes in jars so I need to either do jars or convince that paper burps lol

Tell hubby for us jars was where we started, back in the beginning, and it's where we end for the cure and storage, but we've learned from experience to trust drying to the bags. We put so much of ourselves into getting to harvest, if this didn't work we wouldn't continue with bags. :battingeyelashes:

just hang the buds in the fridge dont really need paper bags.
when i used paper bags all that happened was alot of jostling the buds in the bags for me personally.
hanging the full colas worked fine, my buds smell-taste-look great!!

unless you cant hang the buds, then paper bag them i guess

As a first time grower about to harvest first plant tomorrow, I am hoping someone could confirm these steps?

1. Cut and trim fan leaves
2. (optional, though I am): wash colas in 3 bucket baking soda & lemon juice method
3. Trim (or don't trim?) the sugar leaves while wet
4. Hang dry for four hours with a fan blowing near by but without it enough to move plants
5. After 4 hours, move to fridge. (what temperature should I set it to? I have a wine rack fridge I got for this, and will post a pic. )
6. Ideally place colas in paper bags in fridge (or can I just place them on paper towels in on the racks in fridge? is there a preferred method?)
7. Rustle the bags daily (or open them and flip the buds daily?)
8. After 7-10 days, they are removed from the fridge, and buds cut from branches
9. Buds placed in jars for jar curing (do these jars then go into the fridge?)
10. Begin jar cure process with daily burping for next four weeks

...sounds about right?

Attachments

• image1 (6).jpeg
    image1 (6).jpeg
    509.1 KB · Views: 60
As a first time grower about to harvest first plant tomorrow, I am hoping someone could confirm these steps?

2. (optional, though I am): wash colas in 3 bucket baking soda & lemon juice method
4. Hang dry for four hours with a fan blowing near by but without it enough to move plants
5. After 4 hours, move to fridge. (what temperature should I set it to? I have a wine rack fridge I got for this, and will post a pic. )
6. Ideally place colas in paper bags in fridge (or can I just place them on paper towels in on the racks in fridge? is there a preferred method?)
8. After 7-10 days, they are removed from the fridge, and buds cut from branches

...sounds about right?
Sent you a PM describing my harvest, dry and cure process.

...sounds about right?

yup exactly.
some people put in paper bags, i personally hung the colas and then snipped them down at 8ish days.

my next harvest im going to turn the temp up just a tad to lengthen the drying hang time.

i dont think theres anything cut and dry on steps. everyone does it their own way. i think reason mostly is everyone has a different fridge which handles moisture at varying levels. my fridge is a piece of junk, when i hang the buds in there i just think of it as drying buds in a root cellar in the winter with a dehumidifier on.

one thing i learned is your first dry is probably not go as planned. just run with it and improve it on the next time. first time harvesters have nothing else to judge their experience off of to know what to do during drying in the fridge.
You will get alot better on the second dry, then third and so on and so forth.
15 more weeks until next harvest i will throw in the fridge, going to put some food in there in the meantime lmao

yup exactly.
some people put in paper bags, i personally hung the colas and then snipped them down at 8ish days.

my next harvest im going to turn the temp up just a tad to lengthen the drying hang time.

i dont think theres anything cut and dry on steps. everyone does it their own way. i think reason mostly is everyone has a different fridge which handles moisture at varying levels. my fridge is a piece of junk, when i hang the buds in there i just think of it as drying buds in a root cellar in the winter with a dehumidifier on.

one thing i learned is your first dry is probably not go as planned. just run with it and improve it on the next time. first time harvesters have nothing else to judge their experience off of to know what to do during drying in the fridge.
You will get alot better on the second dry, then third and so on and so forth.
15 more weeks until next harvest i will throw in the fridge, going to put some food in there in the meantime lmao

Thank you!

...sounds about right?
If I were you, after they drip dry for 4 hours, I’d take the buds down off the stems right then. And for you fridge, you don’t need bags or paper towels or anything like that, just lay them gently on the racks themselves (the individual buds that is, not the colas). Don’t forget that you need to remove all of the bud from the fridge for 2-3 hours once every 4-5 days <-THIS STEP IS IMPORTANT so read it again.

You say 7-10 days later place the buds in jars, but really that timeframe is arbitrary. What you’re looking for is an rh in the jar of <70% after 3-5 hours (at room temp).
Then you go on burping, you said 4 weeks, again that is completely arbitrary and will change from climate to climate. You burp your jars until the Rh reads 62%.
rh is a FAR more important metric than time.

*edit : ideally the temp of the fridge is 40-50 degrees.

:bravo:Freaking Incredible :thanks:

Here's my experience and what worked for me...

I found this thread just in time for harvesting my first journal crop.
My apartment has central AC, temp set at 22c but floats 22-24c.
My RH in the apartment is set at 40% with a NOMA 70pint DH, floats 35-38%.
(all my dehumidifier water goes right back in the plants mixed with RO)
My Full size fridge is stable @ 5c and 30-35%RH.
During my 2 week flush, I use Humic and Fluvic in the form of GH Diamond Nectar @ 2ml/Gal.
Cut plants down, no wash, trimmed fan leaves, slight sugar leaf trim for consistency, cut all buds from
stems except very tops of colas. Into lunch bags, filled 3/4 laying flat, ends folded over 1/2in
and sealed with 2 paper clips, bag then manipulated to hold box-like shape. Bags stacked in
fridge with 1in gaps between and criss crossed like Jenga, allowing proper air flow. First 4 days
flipped bags twice a day while being greeted with wonderful smells! Got a good feeling for the
weight of the bags for further judging moisture content, worth paying attention to and get
a feel for going forward. After, just flipped them once a day. Important thing to note at this point
is different strains finish at different times. When ready @ 68% into jars for 2 daily 1hr burps, then
they get an IntegraBoost @ 62% for the cure and store. What incredible success! At this point in the
process, every opening of every jar puts me on my ass! Every sample smoke does the same! The smells,
the flavors, the highs, the smoothness, the look(bag appeal), everything is far beyond what I thought I
would have achieved on this first and indoor hydroponic grow in like 20yrs! I'm way beyond happy with
the results and can see no other way of finishing my flower. I'm an advocate now and educate anyone
that will listen, generally anyone listening has sampled my bud witch helps diminish all the worry and doubt... LoL

Humidity Packs, I've been using Boveda for about 8yrs. I have a tupperware with 4 packs taped inside
and always stored my purchased bags of flower in there for revival/storage. It makes a huge difference
on every bag I bought over the years, I remained loyal to the method immediately upon discovery!
Well now I'm using IntegraBoost packs and they are awesome! I even moved some bags from current
Boveda storage to IntegraBoost and it made a positive difference in smell after 3-4 days. The only thing
I could find for sure was that the IntegraBoost is made of a "Salt-free glycerin gel" which is supposed to be
the magic sauce that maintains flavor, potency and aroma.
Boveda packs are made with Salts+water in a patented film that only lets water vapor through.
I guess I'll be looking into this glycerin tech to see what's up...

Rice Balls, I wonder if anyone can confirm that this method @ the <68% mark retains
more turps than burping? I'm only concerned with the <68% to 62% window, @ 62% they're sealed
for the cure/store with a 62% RH pack.

Trimming, Get yourself and any additional trimmers a Trim Tray/Bin.
I got the Trim Bin by Harvest More.

The initial branches were cut off and placed in this bin for collection, then all trim work
was done in or over this bin. I trimmed all my sugar leaves and fan leaves with frost on
them into this bin.
It sure made the process neat, clean and contained! The bin, with the trimmings
still in it drying out, was visited daily by me and my brother and the trim given a crunching up and
some shakes on the bin. Well, what a treat for my efforts to lift it up and brush a small moutain of trichomes
for my smoking reward! I put tiny sprinkles into joints for a treat, any more and it won't burn right.
I wish I found this earlier and will be purchasing this one going forward,
the Trim Tray by Heavy Harvest

I'll report when I get one...

Oh, I found it easier when doing my RH checks, to just dump a bag or jar into this tiny clear bin
with a hygrometer and come back in 2hrs.

Serves as lunch bag, paperclips and boost packs storage when not in use.

Some of the bounty, thank you
:420: and it's members, you led me through my first grow to an incredible finish!
:ganjamon:

I am a really good cleaner. Cleaned my fridge thought it was all set for low and slow. Noticed paper bags absorbed a funny odor. I missed the area of the underside of drawer cover. Thank goodness all the goodies smell good. New bags and fresh cleaning. Bags are on the day 4 out of fridge time. Nuggies look and smell great.

Trimming, Get yourself...........
Oi!
I have been meaning to do this
&
gonna look into these
IntegraBoost packs

&
sweet write up. Pretty much like I do.
It is the only way I can do it with my hi humidity.
sometimes I leave little buds on stems for about 4-5 days, less than a week for sure. But if I have a huge harvest and dense sticky buds I trim off stems. They like a little room to breath i think.
:snowboating:

Back
Top Bottom