DrZiggy's Low And Slow Drying: Maximizing Your Harvest

Yeah I'm horrible with patience!! Kinda why I got autos to play with while my gelato does her thing otherwise I would pick at her all day haha and I get to practice this low and slow dry because Lord knows I SUCK at curing and drying

After a few grows and cures I think we all learn the benefits of patience. After all, what's the point of going thru a 3-4 month grow cycle only to mess it up by not waiting those extra couple of weeks (at least!) for a proper cure? I do have to say that the low n slow drying does make a tremendous difference to the smell and taste...

and the effects of the herb are different too...:)

Impatience is the probably the worst thing to have when growing or consuming Cannabis :)

..its kinda oxymoronish (it could be a word..:lot-o-toke: to have it as a middle name for me )

DrPatientZiggy...

:rofl:

I admire that in you Ziggy. I'm learning. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I wonder how many people that swear by slow drying before curing their bud have actually tried fast drying before the cure?

I've tried both ways and I think that my bud that's quick dried tastes and smells much better, is more potent, and much much stickier. Don't knock it unless you've tried it, if people start being a little more friendly to me around here maybe I'll share my techniques. The slow cure is what develops the taste and I think the quick dry retains more terpenes. I've dried part of a plant slow by hanging upside down in the dark and part of it in the dehydrator and the quick dried part was better all around.

I wonder how many people that swear by slow drying before curing their bud have actually tried fast drying before the cure?

I've tried both ways and I think that my bud that's quick dried tastes and smells much better, is more potent, and much much stickier. Don't knock it unless you've tried it, if people start being a little more friendly to me around here maybe I'll share my techniques. The slow cure is what develops the taste and I think the quick dry retains more terpenes. I've dried part of a plant slow by hanging upside down in the dark and part of it in the dehydrator and the quick dried part was better all around.

Ok, I'll be friendly. :battingeyelashes:

I'd appreciate you sharing those secrets to flash drying. How does one proceed? What equipment is required?

See, you stumbled into a room maintained by possible the most curious woman you'll meet. Walk in here and dangle in front of me a new way to retain terpenes and I'll be all over you, in the nicest way, of course. :battingeyelashes: My passion here is finding better ways to potentiate the harvest of our members. Increased potency translates into more effective medicine, which allows one to reduce the dose and get more bang for the buck, more healing for the investment.

It's all about advancing the knowledge base of options for everyone else, so if you know of a way to do that, we're all ears.

Forgive my manners Luweedgi. (Love the username, by the way :laughtwo:) I tend to walk through the door like a bull in a china shop, without stopping to express the niceties.

Good to meet you and welcome to our thread. :hug: :love:

Now.........?????????????

I use a nesco American harvest that I bought extra trays for, it's nowhere near big enough so most of my harvests usually end up slow dried and then cured.
I dry the nugs that will fit for 2 days on the low setting, cut nugs that will fit in the dehydrator straight from the plant into the jerky maker.

After they dry for two days the outside will be crumble to dust dry but the inside will still be moist. I then place the partially dried nugs in a jar for 12 to 24 hours, until the outside feels moist again and the place it back in the jerky maker for another 12 to 24 hours, checking the dryness every 4 hours or so and remove them again when the buds feel dry again.

I repeat this process one or two more times but each time the drying time shortens by hours. After they are almost fully dry I put the dried buds in jars for the cure. My fast dried buds are always gone before the slow dried ones, because it's what I go to first because it tastes and works better.

4963314099344p?$478$.jpg

I use a nesco American harvest that I bought extra trays for, it's nowhere near big enough so most of my harvests usually end up slow dried and then cured.
I dry the nugs that will fit for 2 days on the low setting, cut nugs that will fit in the dehydrator straight from the plant into the jerky maker.

After they dry for two days the outside will be crumble to dust dry but the inside will still be moist. I then place the partially dried nugs in a jar for 12 to 24 hours, until the outside feels moist again and the place it back in the jerky maker for another 12 to 24 hours, checking the dryness every 4 hours or so and remove them again when the buds feel dry again.

I repeat this process one or two more times but each time the drying time shortens by hours. After they are almost fully dry I put the dried buds in jars for the cure. My fast dried buds are always gone before the slow dried ones, because it's what I go to first because it tastes and works better.

4963314099344p?$478$.jpg

I found it on the Rain Forest site for $41.09 with the expansion of the additional two discs. Not a bad price. I'll have to look around and see if I can find one locally, but I have access to a Prime account, so that might be easier in the end. Funds are already dispersed to other gardening priorities this month, but that just jumped to the top of my list for next month, and to be honest, if I come up with the money this month I'll get one ASAP.

So you're saying it takes you five days, start to jarring up for the cure? Have you tried the low and slow drying to get a comparison between the two? Our contention is that it's the slow drying that retains the terpenes, and you're suggesting that this isn't necessarily so. I'm still all ears.

How long have you been doing this? I can hear the satisfaction in your virtual voice that you believe you have a better way. I'm game to at least give it a go. One can always find a use for a dehydrator. All those bananas I keep in the tent sometimes ripen faster than I want to eat them. Lol!

I found it on the Rain Forest site for $41.09 with the expansion of the additional two discs. Not a bad price. I'll have to look around and see if I can find one locally, but I have access to a Prime account, so that might be easier in the end. Funds are already dispersed to other gardening priorities this month, but that just jumped to the top of my list for next month, and to be honest, if I come up with the money this month I'll get one ASAP.

So you're saying it takes you five days, start to jarring up for the cure? Have you tried the low and slow drying to get a comparison between the two? Our contention is that it's the slow drying that retains the terpenes, and you're suggesting that this isn't necessarily so. I'm still all ears.

How long have you been doing this? I can hear the satisfaction in your virtual voice that you believe you have a better way. I'm game to at least give it a go. One can always find a use for a dehydrator. All those bananas I keep in the tent sometimes ripen faster than I want to eat them. Lol!

I did this out of necessity years ago, I already had the dehydrator because I used to use it to dry home grown mushrooms. I had a big move where I relocated my whole family and I didn't have any medicine, didn't know anyone to get it from and would have had to drive 100s of miles to get it. I did however have some plants that I brought with me in veg in the moving truck and started flowering them in a rental property. Long story short I dried out some fresh nugs and it was amazing.

It took me more than a few years to perfect the process but if you cycle them from jar to jerky maker it draws out the moisture from the stem much faster than hang drying. I have actually talked to other growers who swear by this same process and I was told there are books with chapters on the subject. One grower commented that at a growing convention where people gather to share seeds and clones other growers were raving over his quick dried slow cured bud asking what his secret was.

4963314099344p?$478$.jpg
I see a TEST RUN COMING!!!!

I have 2 dehydrators just like those

Now does make some sense. I use mine for backpacking food and jerky alot, so the concept has me thinking

I have a DDA coming down very soon I may try some that way

I also cut the tray partially off of one of the trays to make a spacer so I can have a double tall chamber for larger nugs. The largest still need trimmed from the stem to fit. There are much better dehydrators out there, I just bought that one because it was cheap. You could get one with a much larger drying area if you could afford one. It just needs a low temp setting for fruits and herbs, 95°f or lower, higher Temps would dry faster and lose terps.

The only problem I have run into is occasionally over drying my bud when I leave it in too long so now I try to get it almost completely dry and then finish it by just removing from the jar. A small hygrometer that fits in your jar helps keep from doing this, 65 to 70% rh while in the jar means it doesn't need to go back in the dehydrator. My hygrometer bit the dust and I have yet to get a new one so I've been winging it.

Ok so I just got a purple kush that i harvested and have had her hanging for ,about 12 to 13 hours shud I put it in the fridge Now or no??

Absolutely Jones. Tell me there're already in the fridge. :battingeyelashes:

We try to get the buds into the fridge after a four-hour drying from the wash. If you don't wash, they go directly into the fridge. Half a day is a little long, but you're still going to get benefit from the process.

I also cut the tray partially off of one of the trays to make a spacer so I can have a double tall chamber for larger nugs. The largest still need trimmed from the stem to fit. There are much better dehydrators out there, I just bought that one because it was cheap. You could get one with a much larger drying area if you could afford one. It just needs a low temp setting for fruits and herbs, 95°f or lower, higher Temps would dry faster and lose terps.

I was thinking about the depth of the trays when I looked at it. I have no problem cutting the buds down to minimal size. I cut them from the branch anyway. I won't know until I see a dehydrator how deep they are, but I like this idea of the spacer to create more depth for thicker buds.

The only problem I have run into is occasionally over drying my bud when I leave it in too long so now I try to get it almost completely dry and then finish it by just removing from the jar. A small hygrometer that fits in your jar helps keep from doing this, 65 to 70% rh while in the jar means it doesn't need to go back in the dehydrator. My hygrometer bit the dust and I have yet to get a new one so I've been winging it.

I'm sure that after a spell you begin to have a feel for it the same way we are with low and slo. I'm really looking forward to trying this. I can see how it would work. Follow it up with what ShiggityFlip just did by sealing them right up and keeping them sealed in absolute darkness for two straight months and we should have some wicked meds, eh?

Scorpio, I couldn't be happier to hear one of my favorite lab rats has the desire and the equipment to give it a go. Consider trying the two-month seal in darkness with at least a part, so you can contrast.

I was thinking about the depth of the trays when I looked at it. I have no problem cutting the buds down to minimal size. I cut them from the branch anyway. I won't know until I see a dehydrator how deep they are, but I like this idea of the spacer to create more depth for thicker buds.

I'm sure that after a spell you begin to have a feel for it the same way we are with low and slo. I'm really looking forward to trying this. I can see how it would work. Follow it up with what ShiggityFlip just did by sealing them right up and keeping them sealed in absolute darkness for two straight months and we should have some wicked meds, eh?

Scorpio, I couldn't be happier to hear one of my favorite lab rats has the desire and the equipment to give it a go. Consider trying the two-month seal in darkness with at least a part, so you can contrast.
Yea im doing the other half rite nw i hope it still works but yea now i now for my red poison and dark devil tht will be coming dwn this week

Hi Luweedgi
Thanks for your interesting posts. I usually hang dry and have tried the slow fridge method on my last two harvests with excellent results. I can only compare hang-dry with low'n'slow dry as I don't have a dehydrator. Because my drying area is almost always too hot and temps cannot be controlled here, I have found that the terpene profile is much better in my low'n'slow dried buds. The effect is also better with low'n'slow vs hang dry. I find that at temps over 24 celsius the terp profile on my SLH plants is greatly reduced when drying. This does not happen with the low and slow fridge method. Having said that, in the dead of winter when drying temps are in the right range here, my hang dried buds are of comparable quality. I have just returned from Holland where a lot of the commercial growers follow the "16 at 16" dry method (i.e. 16 celsius for 16 days) and the grass is very good - dry enough but also sticky.

I would love to try a fast dry, but even if I invested in the equipment I know that anything longer than 48 hours in room temps here will mean most of the terpene profile would have burnt away. I was so happy to find this thread and can heartily recommend the low'n'slow technique (especially for growers with extreme drying temperatures/RH) and with it, I can dry at any time of year and retain terps and strength.

Hey guys interesting thread I have to come clean I read the first 3_4 pages and have skipped to the end, I have a harvest ready real soon and like the sound of this, I have a few questions thou which I hope someone can help with?
early on there is mention of washing Ur buds? Please Tel me more, do u just dip them in the bath or something? Multiple dipping? Is this wash before trimming the buds?
I'm looking at possibly getting a wine cooler instead of a fridge (have young children who have just started raiding my fridge when they feel like it) the cooler goes down to 46 fahrenheit however this is a counter top style and much more compact then a dorm fridge but pictures show it has a fan can you foresee problems with this? Has anyone tried a wine cooler?

Hey guys interesting thread I have to come clean I read the first 3_4 pages and have skipped to the end, I have a harvest ready real soon and like the sound of this, I have a few questions thou which I hope someone can help with?
early on there is mention of washing Ur buds? Please Tel me more, do u just dip them in the bath or something? Multiple dipping? Is this wash before trimming the buds?
I'm looking at possibly getting a wine cooler instead of a fridge (have young children who have just started raiding my fridge when they feel like it) the cooler goes down to 46 fahrenheit however this is a counter top style and much more compact then a dorm fridge but pictures show it has a fan can you foresee problems with this? Has anyone tried a wine cooler?

I keep my buds in a jar under a shelf, no need to refrigerate unless you have a ton of it and it will go bad before you can use it. Bud washing is good if you have a dusty grow room or a lot of pests, it washes dust and debris off of your buds and gives a smoother end product. Just fill a tote and dip your buds in and give em a swirl and hang them by a fan to dry the excess. Jorge Cervantes has a good YouTube video of bud washing you should look up.

I know 14 days is the target, but is it possible buds might take less? I've had 1 set of harvested buds in for a week and they feel noticeably dryer than the others. I'm wondering if it's worth pulling and jarring some for a couple of hours just to see where it's at. This plant had no water for 48 hours before being chopped and had smaller, less dense buds than my others, so I'm thinking this might be a factor in why it seems to be ahead.

I know 14 days is the target, but is it possible buds might take less? I've had 1 set of harvested buds in for a week and they feel noticeably dryer than the others. I'm wondering if it's worth pulling and jarring some for a couple of hours just to see where it's at. This plant had no water for 48 hours before being chopped and had smaller, less dense buds than my others, so I'm thinking this might be a factor in why it seems to be ahead.

It's worth a try DobeWan, but it'll only take an hour, not two.

Back
Top Bottom