DrZiggy's Low And Slow Drying: Maximizing Your Harvest

Wanted to share a couple things. In my mini fridge, some of my buds dried faster, the bags on the top shelf. I filled 3 jars and the rh is about 66-68 so I'm burping a little but using a slow burp method I stumbled on, I've been putting the jars in the paper bags to keep light out so when I take the lid off to burp, I fold the bag over the top and leave it opened for longer, say an hour or so.

This batch of low and slow, the BCPs, have been the best by far as far as terp retention! Still getting that delicious black cherry ice cream smell when I open the jars. Yum! :yummy:

Wanted to share a couple things. In my mini fridge, some of my buds dried faster, the bags on the top shelf. I filled 3 jars and the rh is about 66-68 so I'm burping a little but using a slow burp method I stumbled on, I've been putting the jars in the paper bags to keep light out so when I take the lid off to burp, I fold the bag over the top and leave it opened for longer, say an hour or so.

This batch of low and slow, the BCPs, have been the best by far as far as terp retention! Still getting that delicious black cherry ice cream smell when I open the jars. Yum! :yummy:
[/
So the jars are always in the bags..?

Hi 1way! Once I take buds from fridge and put in jars, I want to monitor rh for a few days so I put the jars in the bags and keep close by so I can check often and burp as needed. Once rh is stable, the jars go into a box in a dark place so bags are no longer needed.

I'd really love to have some kind of shrink wrap, preferably that I could print labels on with pics of the plant/buds and info about the strain, that would keep light out but seems like that could be pricey and I haven't found anything yet. Anyone know of options? I use 32oz mason jars but different size options would be nice.

:passitleft:

Hi 1way! Once I take buds from fridge and put in jars, I want to monitor rh for a few days so I put the jars in the bags and keep close by so I can check often and burp as needed. Once rh is stable, the jars go into a box in a dark place so bags are no longer needed.

I'd really love to have some kind of shrink wrap, preferably that I could print labels on with pics of the plant/buds and info about the strain, that would keep light out but seems like that could be pricey and I haven't found anything yet. Anyone know of options? I use 32oz mason jars but different size options would be nice.

:passitleft:
Thanks for clarifying. I thought that was what you were doing but thought I’d ask! This thread is full of such rich information!

Do any of you guys experiment with adding extra terpenes do our buds during curing?
lemon grass is extremely high in mycerene which helps the brain absorb THC.

I read that some others have done this with some success. I know weed has an amazing flavour on its own but if you think for a second.

Some strains that we love might be high in other terpenes but low in for example mycerene. If we add the mycerene it could amplify the high ?

What’s your opinions on this?

Do any of you guys experiment with adding extra terpenes do our buds during curing?
lemon grass is extremely high in mycerene which helps the brain absorb THC.

I read that some others have done this with some success. I know weed has an amazing flavour on its own but if you think for a second.

Some strains that we love might be high in other terpenes but low in for example mycerene. If we add the mycerene it could amplify the high ?

What’s your opinions on this?

Oldbear has a thread about Terpenes that might be useful George.

There are companies that sell terpenes for just such uses. I have some in my possession formulated to match the terpene expressions of particular chemovars (strains). It’s actually a very good idea, if you understand what you’re doing. It only takes a little to make a big difference.

Experimentation is the only way to find out. You could try a small batch. Would you be thinking of finding some terpenes themselves or putting other plant matter high in those desired terpenes in with the drying buds? I can see points for either approach.

Oldbear has a thread about Terpenes that might be useful George.

There are companies that sell terpenes for just such uses. I have some in my possession formulated to match the terpene expressions of particular chemovars (strains). It’s actually a very good idea, if you understand what you’re doing. It only takes a little to make a big difference.

Experimentation is the only way to find out. You could try a small batch. Would you be thinking of finding some terpenes themselves or putting other plant matter high in those desired terpenes in with the drying buds? I can see points for either approach.
I can’t find any sellers of the pure terpenes where I am from. So I’d probably just be using the essential oils of other plants if I decided to try it.

I just didn’t know if it would cause mold or not?

I guess if we add the oil to a cotton wool ball and hang it in the jar with a boveda the humidity shouldn’t spike enough to cause mold?

Some essential oils I’ve considered so far would be
Pine
Lemongrass
Possibly a citrus one for a citrus taste?

George, when I was visiting DrDoob (it was he that gave me my terpene collection) he mentioned that you put a drop on something like a Kleenex or cotton ball and do exactly what you suggested. In a closed environment the isomers (terpenes are isomers, lighter than air) will float and attach to the bud material.

Essential oils will be less effective in this method than plain terpenes, so I’d look around. Terpenes are widely used in the food, perfume, and cosmetic industries. They’re more available than you’d think.

It’s still all trial and error, and if you do so I’m sure Oldbear would appreciate your sharing the findings on his thread.

George, when I was visiting DrDoob (it was he that gave me my terpene collection) he mentioned that you put a drop on something like a Kleenex or cotton ball and do exactly what you suggested. In a closed environment the isomers (terpenes are isomers, lighter than air) will float and attach to the bud material.

Essential oils will be less effective in this method than plain terpenes, so I’d look around. Terpenes are widely used in the food, perfume, and cosmetic industries. They’re more available than you’d think.

It’s still all trial and error, and if you do so I’m sure Oldbear would appreciate your sharing the findings on his thread.
Just found a seller of terpenes but prices are quite high.
Is there a reason you think terpenes are better than esssential oils?

I guess you’d have to use less of the pure terpene and just more of the oil? Or is there something else?

Just found a seller of terpenes but prices are quite high.
Is there a reason you think terpenes are better than esssential oils?

I guess you’d have to use less of the pure terpene and just more of the oil? Or is there something else?

It’s simply a matter of concentrations. I’d try the essential oils and see what you get. They’re pretty powerful on their own.

Terpenes float away at the slightest provocation, so it helps to have lots of them. Lol! The terpenes are so concentrated that you have to be careful about getting them on your skin. A little bit goes a long way.

Could you put the terpenes in the oil after it's made as to not release them in the process?

I don’t see why not, but you’d have to be very precise about measuring.

Need advice skipped a couple of pages in between Sorry!!.
So trying this method as this is my first time growing and and on the last plant now. Faced an issue of taste and high while line drying as the temp/rh vary alot in my drying room. So giving this a go. can anyone please explain how do put more buds as my fridge trays are full and still more than half the plant is still standing and cant wait for 12 days for this batch to get done. Also put 2 Jars of previous plant as the high/ taste is not what i wouldve wanted, is this gonna improve it?

Hey Bud. I see tons of space! Not sure putting the jars in will help. Do you have little hygro meters to put in the jars to check rh. They probably got too dry too fast.

To maximize space, put about 28-35 grams of wet buds in brown paper lunch bags. They can be stacked on top of each other. I got 2 pretty nice size plants in mini fridge.

Ween to the rescue! :yahoo: You beat me to it ween. :hug:

:welcome: 420IS. And please.... this many pages in, we assume you’ll jump to the current page after the first couple are read. No one minds that you didn’t slog through all of it. :hug:

In bags they’ll be much easier to manage, and you gain storage capacity. After three days reach into the bags and gently bounce the buds apart. Then I leave them be for the remainder of the two week initial stage. The hard part is leaving them alone. :laughtwo:

Welcome to the best homegrown you’ve ever tasted. Prepare to be surprised. :battingeyelashes:

Back
Top Bottom