Dusted’s Traditional Hydroponic Grows

5 weeks

I have been neglecting the poor girls. One of them tipped a bit and was growing sideways. I will install the cages today and probably flip the light cycle. I will switch the 1000 W MH to HPS and switch the 600 W to MH. I can't stand being in the room with only HPS lighting, so I assume my plants won't like it either. They are a bit too warm so I turned up the circulation fan and the reduction in light hours should also help cool it down a bit.

The one plant sure is different from the others. Much more sativa like than the fat leaved other plants.

Also included a picture of my latest straight razor. It is the first fancy one I have purchased, with gold plating. It will take me a couple of hours of honing to get it shave ready.

I did change the light cycle last week so this is day six post flip. I put in the 1000 W HPS but haven't changed out the other one to MH, so the pictures kind of suck. Thankfully I got the cages installed before things got too overgrown. The one plant still wants to grow sideways out of the media. It is the one that got dropped deep into the rocks during planting, so that may be the problem. The difference between the four girls and the outlier is getting more pronounced. It has way more Sativa genetics than the others.

The down side to a summer grow is, I used to use the basement as a source of cool air for the upstairs during heat spells. Now the basement is a source of heat and humidity instead.

Looks good dusted do you always use the tomato cages?
Before I got them I had 4-5 ft tall plants tip over onto the floor. Not something you want to see in the morning, although I knew by the odour in the house it had happened. They are the best idea I have come up with so far, but they will eventually corrode.

Day 13 post flip

The plants haven't been happy with the summer temperatures but are doing OK. Solid flowering going on so they are off to a fast start. The ugly duckling plant looks more like the Critical Purple Kush I had in my last grow.

Day 20 post flip

Things are progressing as usual. RH is high due to all the rain we have had and the girls drinking about 10 L of water a day which adds to the humidity. Temperatures are pretty good as long as I have my back door open and it's not too hot outside. I am running the 600 W MH full blast in addition to the main 1000 W HPS

@oldsmokey won't have that problem soon with the fancy new light. Did you look at the Timber COB systems as well before choosing the Budget system?

Didn't really look at cobs was my understanding that quantum boards is the way to go. Are you thinking of changing your lighting?
I would love to, for the better light spectrum (I hate MH light but the flowering plants like it), and reduced heat output, but the $1k US and having to move the light up and down is putting me off. I was interested in the COB system since they seem to have better canopy penetration and don’t need to be as close to the plants as with boards.

Day 26 post flip

Buds are forming up nicely. They have started to give off that funky odour. Upped the nutrients to full blast according to Remo's instructions. I'm considering switching to sulphuric acid instead of phosphoric to neutralize the alkalinity of my tap water. I add 6 mL of 75% phosphoric acid for the initial neutralization, and then about 1 mL per day to keep the proper pH, since I add a lot of water daily. That is a lot of additional P in the nutrient blend. I initially thought the sulphate would be bad for the plants but I have changed my mind. I have seen hydroponic nutrient brands that have 3% S listed. They probably use a mixture of phosphoric and sulphuric acids to neutralize the K source, and solubilize the essential metals in the formulation. Anyway, I have a bunch of 98% sulphuric acid sitting around, degrading it's container, that I must do something about. This may be the time. It is a real pain to use though, since it boils the water when it hits, and will dissolve most anything it contacts.

I knew I was getting some deficiencies since the fan leaves were eating themselves alive, but of course I ignored it. After increasing the nutrient concentration 30% yesterday the plants are way stinkier and have perked right up. That should prevent further damage going forward. Oh well, I don’t obsess over my plants. I suspect my system capacity is larger than I thought resulting in a more dilute solution than I wanted. Maybe if I used my tds tester I would notice that stuff quicker

Back
Top Bottom