DWC root rot slime - Advanced nutes - Help!

zakey

HYDRO GROW

Strain - Sensi star (paradise seeds )
# of Plants - 2
Grow Type - Hydro
Grow Stage - Flower
Setup - Dwc bubbles
Light - 1000 Watt Gavita pro
Nutrients - advanced
Medium - Pebbles
PPM - 0
PH - 5.8
RH - 50% to 55%
Room Temperature -77
Solution Temperature -66
Room Square Footage - 2
Pests - None

Problem: root rot slime
I keep getting root rot or slime every time I switch to flower. Usually hits me at week 2.
I've defeated it a few times but it just keeps coming back as soon as I start adding nutes.
I've used great white,orca,h202,bleach, and now advanced piranha,tarantula,voodoo

So everything is fine in veg
I then switch nutes to flower
Sensi a+b
Tarantula
Piranha
Voodoo juice

Then the fun starts
About week 2 full on rot it doesn't show any early signs.
one day it's not there the next the roots are red/orange and it stinks.

Day 1
Cut off dead roots scrub what's left of roots to show whites
I flush and clean everything refill with plain water
Day 2
Flush clean and scrub
Day 3
Flush clean scrub + piranha,tarantula,voodoo
Day 5
Nice new roots showing
Day 8
New full root ball all healthy but the plants are yellowing with the lack of nutes
Add nutes at quarter strength
Day 11
Full on root rot again

Repeat from step 1 until harvest

Can any body help ??

Thanks

I had a real bad issue with root root until I started using z7 water treatment. I use that with a half dose of hydrguard with my GH 3part and I have no more issue with root rot. I run DWC and my buckets stay spotlessly clean and no rot with up to 80f water temps.

How big is your air pump and how many gallons of water in the root zone?

I had a real bad issue with root root until I started using z7 water treatment. I use that with a half dose of hydrguard with my GH 3part and I have no more issue with root rot. I run DWC and my buckets stay spotlessly clean and no rot with up to 80f water temps.

Run my buckets at 75f pretty much room temp with no problems and I use hydro guard & and a product called Recharge, instant heisenberg tea (no brewing) for much cheaper...and yes Recharge does work well in DWC, even though it's a soil microbe super pack.:peace:

I at one time did the tea thing.

But I am with you. z7 and Hydroguard is a much easier(and better) way to go. Recharge sounds a lot like z7

Run my buckets at 75f pretty much room temp with no problems and I use hydro guard & and a product called Recharge, instant heisenberg tea (no brewing) for much cheaper...and yes Recharge does work well in DWC, even though it's a soil microbe super pack.:peace:

Hi guys thanks for the replys

I'm using ro water
Air pump is pushing 13gpm
The sensi is a new bottle
I've tried ionic before same results
Not tried Heisenberg
I've just been reading up about a product that is basically Heisenberg tea already mixed and ready to go called recharge soil condition.

I can't find the z7 for sale
Will hydrogard not kill all bennies ?

Will hydrogard not kill all bennies ? No it will add more.

It may be hard to find z7 if your not in the US.

Just a few drops of it and root rot is a thing of the past.

It is a two part and both parts are clear and will not clog anything.

I also put it in my mist cloner.

Hydroguard is beneficial bacteria, it's just meant to over power the bad bacteria, by feeding on bacteria itself.

For how long did you try the h2o2? Personally, this is what I use (in hydroponics) for everything but the early stages of cloning and I only ever had a problem with root rot when I switched to hydroguard for about 10 days. I switched back as soon as I noticed and the problem went away within a couple of days. (not trying to talk down on hydroguard, I just didn't know at the time that it's better when combined with an enzymatic cleaner)

I'm thinking, since you've tried all these different "solutions", it might be lack of oxygen. Is it possible you are constricting the air comming out of your pump with not enough air stones? That's a pretty big pump. I would probably have between 4 and 6 large air stones on a pump that size.

I use hydro guard with recharge, the hydro guard has a specific bacteria in it that is a bad ass...the recharge has all the other stuff like mycorrhizae, trichoderma (breaks down roots), sub species of bacteria, as well as humic acid, fulvic acid, vitamins, molasses to feed the bennies etc etc...I know I know, you're not suppose to run sugars and organics in DWC with high reservoir temps...but it works, and doesn't clog up RDWC, I run both RDWC/DWC.

I have only ran recharge in a 5 gallon bucket and 2 gallon waterfarm, if you have a bigger reservoir say 10 gallons and above I don't think this is for you since it might cause problems being in the reservoir for a long time. :)

At one time I was doing it the way your doing it now. But it is a pain to use H2O2 in DWC with more then a bucket or two.

The z7 alone takes care of 90% of things and the hydrograud seems to take it to 100%. I have had no root rot for six month with them.

Hydroguard is beneficial bacteria, it's just meant to over power the bad bacteria, by feeding on bacteria itself.

For how long did you try the h2o2? Personally, this is what I use (in hydroponics) for everything but the early stages of cloning and I only ever had a problem with root rot when I switched to hydroguard for about 10 days. I switched back as soon as I noticed and the problem went away within a couple of days. (not trying to talk down on hydroguard, I just didn't know at the time that it's better when combined with an enzymatic cleaner)

At one time I was doing it the way your doing it now. But it is a pain to use H2O2 in DWC with more then a bucket or two.
You right. I only run DWC on occasion. I usually run drain to waste coco, which seems great with h2o2. The dwc was much harder to keep track of because the plants were drinking a gallon of water each per day and I had to figure out how much of the h2o2 had broken down by that point and how much was still there - all while taking into account dilution. So yeah, it was a pain, but it worked well.

I'm not trying to knock any of these products. Just letting zakey know what has worked for me. I don't have anything against enzymatic or microbial solutions to this problem. I've looked into them myself and might even try that route one day. I just think that zakey's problem is more about oxygen or contamination. It looks like he has tried alot of different products, but always with the same outcome.

I used the h202 for a full cycle same thing happens
I think the recharge is newish on the market can't seem to find near me
Z7 doesn't seem to be available near me. Do you know what's in it ?
Hydroguard looks similar to one of advanced am using

I just can't understand how I can have pearly whites until I add the sensi.
Am I feeding the rot with the sensi or something ?

Thanks for all replies

I have used small medium and large pumps with small and large stones
Small medium large res tanks. I had 10 stones in a tank at once was like a hot tub lol

Hope it works as well for you as it did me.

Try some in your cloner too and it will blow your mind.

I am testing a 8spot Daisy cloner for a friend.

I took the cuttings from three plants with old cutters that I never more then wipe off and cut the ends with an old steak knife and did not scape them just put them in the mist cloner with 9.1ph tap water and a few drops of z7.

Each cut had four to six leaves. Six days out and all cuts have roots and I did not lose a single leaf.

I'm going to check out z7 :peace:

High Zakey

You got it bad for sure but really shouldn't if your nute temps are down at 66F. I too use AN nutes in DWC and soilless growing. Sensi for veg and Connoisseur for flowering. Also Rhino Skin from the very start and not just in flower like it says on the bottle. Big Bud is the only thing I use for flower boost now since I ran out of OverDrive. I couldn't see anything happening with the OD so I won't be getting that again.

Voodoo may be the culprit here as it has a lot of "beneficial" bacteria in it. From other things I've read if it's gone bad those bugs can wreak havoc in hydro. At $100/L I'll take a pass. lol

I have had root rot a couple of times and the only thing that has saved the plants for me was peroxide. When I used to use the older 3 - part AN nutes I always added some 35% food grade peroxide twice a week at a rate of 0.5ml/L or or 2ml/cc per USG. My nute temps could often be up to 75 as I had no chiller and it's easy for rot to start at the higher temps.

When I did get the rot I went up to 4ml/L or 15ml/USG and poured it right through the net pots as the bugs are all up in there too so just flushing and removing dead roots won't do the trick. After 10 min or so I used maybe a pint of RO water each to wash through the pots. I had a lot more plants in one tub tho. 2 died, 2 were badly stunted so I removed them and the other 10 or so grew just fine after that.

I have one plant in DWC now. A revegged NL5 that near died on me when I drained and refilled to go to flower. I fed it a very low level of Connie and the next day it had shriveled up like a plant that was dying of thirst. I kept it off to the side in lower light and misted the leaves for a few days and she came back to life tho only has half or less growth left on it. Also boosted the nute levels up to 750ppm and she's a week into flowering along with 2 other plants that are growing in 4gal pots and rigged up in ScroG. Not going to yield like the first time around but hoping for a couple ozs off her.

I suspect what happened to her was that she had been sitting in old, high level nutes since last Xmas and the sudden change to a way lower salts level caused her to basically return her salts to the lower level and caused the plant to dehydrate. I've heard of that happening but that's the first time it's happened to me and I'm no stranger to DWC. It's my fave grow method.

Good luck with yours and I would drop everything but the Sensi until you get them back on track. Even use some older style 3 - part nutes that won't be affected by peroxide if you go that route. They are almost all non-organic salts and aren't hampered by peroxide. Sensi, Connie and other higher end nutes have a lot of amino acids etc in them that can be degraded by the H2O2 tho their basic nutes are still just salts.

L8r

Called the local hydro shop today they didn't have the recharge. I don't think it's available in my country yet.
I've cleaned the roots up and added the piranha tarantula voodoo
Just a waiting game now. I will try add some pics tomorrow so you can see just how bad it is.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions

Back
Top Bottom