Eating my words on CFLs

GreatLife4All

I have never publicly (at least on this site) made fun of CFLs or T5 lights. But in the back of my mind, I had absolutely no respect for them. Something you would use if you can't handle a HID...

But I have forced myself to use my BadBoy T5 lately for vegging clones. I have vegged these same clones many times now - and I am very familiar with how they grow.

Under the T5 that I am using - I am getting slower but much bushier growth. I have been putting them under a 400W HPS for transition - and then into a 1000W light to finish. Once they hit the 400 - they stretch a lot... but it seems to be contained somewhat vertically... or maybe there is more bush to grow so less vertical growth. Don't know the answer... but stretch seems less.

I used to use the 400W ballast with an MH bulb for veg.

I have to admit that I am very pleased with what I am seeing.

I fear my ego may have led me astray on T5 lights and how they could be properly used to help constrain stretch by promoting a bushier plant in veg :thumb:

The first step toward change is awareness. The second step is acceptance. Good for you man, what ever works, many tools we have in our tool boxes.

I have never publicly (at least on this site) made fun of CFLs or T5 lights. But in the back of my mind, I had absolutely no respect for them. Something you would use if you can't handle a HID...

But I have forced myself to use my BadBoy T5 lately for vegging clones. I have vegged these same clones many times now - and I am very familiar with how they grow.

Under the T5 that I am using - I am getting slower but much bushier growth. I have been putting them under a 400W HPS for transition - and then into a 1000W light to finish. Once they hit the 400 - they stretch a lot... but it seems to be contained... or maybe there is more bush to grow so less vertical growth. Don't know the answer... but stretch seems less.

I used to use the 400W ballast with an MH bulb for veg.

I have to admit that I am very pleased with what I am seeing.

I fear my ego may have led me astray on T5 lights and how they could be properly used to help constrain stretch by promoting a bushier plant in veg :thumb:

I've been using straight CFLs for many grows now and I keep getting excellent buds time and time again. For stealthy, smaller grows there is no reason to use anything else. They are cheap to buy, cheap to run, induce no heat and use hardly any electricity. And, you get nice buds from them. Sure they aren't as big as HID buds but mine are very dense and get the job done. For a fraction of the cost and zero headaches or worries.:circle-of-love:

I won't be flowering under them... but I have a second run in the Ebb and Flow tank, different genetics, but the same end result.

Nice bushy little plants.

And the T5 that I am using is not cool running. If I put it in a tent and run it - the temp climbs above 80 quickly. The tent actually runs cooler with a 400W HID, cool tube, and fan.

But we can both see the difference.... three electrical devices vs two... and 200W total consumption vs nearly 600. So it is cheaper to run and looks to do a much better job than HID with the smaller plants. I have eliminated stretch during the late veg stage.

I've used a blue spectrum GAINT CFL 125w of 6500k (kelvin) for seedling germination, clones and veg of up to 8 weeks with out ill effect :thumb:

I could of got a 250w MH for my veg area but the 125w CFL has proved very good at half the cost on electric bill than the MH counter part !

Rock on blue CFL/T5 for veg :Namaste:

PICT0003_-_Copy.JPG
0031001.JPG
010537.JPG
005826.JPG
002855.JPG
001829.JPG
001809.JPG

Good info on the cfl utilization. "Catch pan" at the bottom of your tent, did it come with ? OEM or did you get lucky enough to find a perfect fit?
Very nice grow and excellent presentation of information.

Thank you.

Good info on the cfl utilization. "Catch pan" at the bottom of your tent, did it come with ? OEM or did you get lucky enough to find a perfect fit?
Very nice grow and excellent presentation of information.

Thank you.

The tent is a Secret Jardin DR 60, 60cm by 60cm by 160cm i use for vegging only of a few plants, the tent it self came with a heavy duty fabric water proof catch tray it self.

The catch tray in the pic is a product by Garland (uk & europe mainly) & do offer trays in various size's the largest being 100cm by 100cm...

But ye i was lucky to find a tray of 60cm by 60cm for my small tent, it don't sit flush inside due to corner tent poles but good enough !

Gotta love CFL & T5 very under rated for vegging :thumb:

Thanks

I just saw that one in your journal. Amazing.

You should put some mylar on top to reflect all of the light down onto your crop. Other than that - looks great.

if you look up at the top there is white showing, it's a two stage reflector, 10 inches in that direction, flip it over and its right on top of the lights. I thought I was having a heat problem with my plants...but noooooo...its was the damn MG...those days are gone

Sometimes Necessity is the mother of invention sir. Id much rather have an HID in my tent than my CFL's. But the 300$++ setup is very constraining finicially.

Im currently debating 312w actual CFL vs 150w HPS for flowering. I can get 150w for about 70$ but thats no forced exhaust and about 1/2 the total wattage of my current rig.
Part of me thinks the penatration and overall Lumen Power of the 150w HPS is better than the total of 312w CFL's... :confused:

I agree my friend. My argument against CFLs and LEDs has always centered around penetration. Though LEDs sucked at first for many reasons - don't know anyone that would deny it. The question on LEDs is when do we hit that tipping point... or have we already?

But it seems that when the plants are small - like in the first stage of veg - that the penetration power just doesn't matter. I think penetration is likely only an issue when in flower and the plants get "thick" with leaves and buds. At that point... a HID can't be beat... the plant needs lots of energy and that is what a HID provides.

I have tested both CFLs and HIDs now - time for me to try out the LEDs. I lack credibility when I make fun of them without actual experience. Theories only take you so far in life...

Back
Top Bottom